Left 4 Dead: Arcade Edition's Four New Japanese Survivors Revealed

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Japanese port of a game. Cast changed to appeal to japanese demographic. Being marketed to japanese gamers.

One of the characters still ends up being a handsome white US Marine. There's a joke somewhere in there, I just can't quite see it yet.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Witch: "g-go away, its not like i want to kill you or anything... B-BAKA!"

and have you seen HL2's arcade? crazy stuff

but well, if it means more people get to enjoy that gaming masterpiece, great

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I don't particularly like the schoolgirl design. It seems out of place in a zombie apocalypse, and they've used that stupid toes-pointing-inwards pose. I've tried standing like that and it's uncomfortable. Much more comfortable to have your feet parallel or pointing slightly outwards.

With regards to availability outside Japan, I suppose Valve could release a free mod for Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 on Steam, or maybe make it DLC for one of the games. Valve does seem to have a pretty good track record regarding free DLC, after all.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
This may just be me, but I'm disappointed that for the white guy, they didn't go with a non native Japanese speaker (at least the trailer sounded like it was nothing but native speakers).

To me anyway, that would have been interesting.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
With the Valve rumor mill regarding them finally learning to count to 3, how much you guys want to bet this is preemptive advertisement for Left 4 Dead 3?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Darks63 said:
Why am i not surprised that at least one of the characters had to be a schoolgirl complete with the schoolgirl outfit.
Dude, it's Japan. I will be surprised if there are no tentacle monsters.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
008Zulu said:
Darks63 said:
Why am i not surprised that at least one of the characters had to be a schoolgirl complete with the schoolgirl outfit.
Dude, it's Japan. I will be surprised if there are no tentacle monsters.
I make fun of Japan also, but to be fair I do give them some credit for creating science fiction and fantasy, and they have done things set in the US fairly well in the past. Given that this game is set in the US, with the Japanese Cast apparently visiting the US on vacation when things go down, I cannot fathom why this Japanese girl would be wearing a Japanese school uniform on vacation in another country. I mean fine, by all means insert a young girl, young girls are popular, all cultures use them for games and other media, but the school uniform is a bit over the top.

I'm guessing the "usual action hero" thing is because the American bartender is supposed to be a US Native and not also vacationing with them. They went with the stereotypical American appearance because that's what people expect from American video game tough guys, even over there.

That said, I do hope Valve is joking about the school girl outfit... I mean really... it is a cute look, and can be made to fit in with a lot of things, but this is not one of them. At least "High School Of The Dead" took place in Japan and the characters started out escaping from a high school that was in session when the zombies attacked, explaining why they were wearing uniforms.

I'm also guessing Japan probably already has some version of Left 4 Dead and really the whole point of this is some port intended to work out of an arcade cabinet and munch money, so I'm guessing it's even deadlier, and might have something like diminishing health on a timer (ala Gauntlet) or whatever to encourage people to keep feeding the machine.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I kinda giggled when I saw "Run and Shot" I instantly thought "Yep... I'ts Japanese alright". But you know even more that it can't be a Japanese game without some sort of "American army dude" as a character.

Mar 26, 2008
Darks63 said:
Who's all breathless and moan-y. Kind of adds to the creep factor, but in the wrong sort of way.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Aerosteam said:
I was hoping for more outrageous hairstyles but eh. :/
Not every anime has insane hairstyles. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that most do.

Also, is the game's title a jab at Capcapom?
Left 4 Dead: Survivors? I don't get how that's a jab at Capcom. o_O

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Aerosteam said:
I was hoping for more outrageous hairstyles but eh. :/
Not every anime has insane hairstyles. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that most do.
I know that, but one can always hope.
Also, is the game's title a jab at Capcapom?
Left 4 Dead: Survivors? I don't get how that's a jab at Capcom. o_O
Well shit, I thought the game was called "Arcade Edition".

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I also find it kind of interesting and funny that for all the bitching us US gamers do about the "Generic white brown haired tough military American guy," the Japanese decided they wanted a Generic white brown haired tough military American guy.
I guess they needed someone on the cast of player characters who has a valid excuse for being able to use firearms as well as the player characters will be in the game.

Aug 1, 2010
tangoprime said:
I also find it kind of interesting and funny that for all the bitching us US gamers do about the "Generic white brown haired tough military American guy," the Japanese decided they wanted a Generic white brown haired tough military American guy.
I guess they needed someone on the cast of player characters who has a valid excuse for being able to use firearms as well as the player characters will be in the game.
Fair point.

It is a bit perplexing that a small asian schoolgirl would be able to effectively use a semi-automatic shotgun.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
You know the decision to have this happen was done by that one Valve employee with the traffic cone on his head.

You know the one I'm talking about.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I was immediately reminded of
For better or for worse.

Why is that funny? Our chief export is generic white haired tough military american guy.

OT: I'm sort of disappointed. I would hope to see a complete overall with Japanesecana everywhere. But it just looks like a language localization and player models switched. I mean I guess it's not important since they aren't exactly selling it boxed as a new game but this looks like something a patent infringing Chinese company would put out on hong kong shelves. Little disappointed...

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
To be honest, after watching that trailer, you could tell me this was a spoof or some kind of April fools joke and i wouldn't be surprised. The voice acting just sounds painfully high pitched and exaggerated at times.

On a side note, it's gonna be hilarious to see the school girl wielding the chainsaw with the same ease as the Bartender guy, despite looking less formidable than Season 2 Clementine.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
chocolate pickles said:
To be honest, after watching that trailer, you could tell me this was a spoof or some kind of April fools joke and i wouldn't be surprised. The voice acting just sounds painfully high pitched and exaggerated at times.

On a side note, it's gonna be hilarious to see the school girl wielding the chainsaw with the same ease as the Bartender guy, despite looking less formidable than Season 2 Clementine.
But thats just how japanese voice acting usually goes in anime... high pitched females and overacting males.

What we view as bad voice acting is kinda standard over there.

Wonder if valve will actually give the greenlight for an actual manga or anime now... highschool of the dead without the whole ecchi theme.

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
That first guy really looks like Dean Winchester from Supernatural, or maybe it's just me.

Also, is it possible to know the voice cast for the 4 players, some voices sound really familiar to me (Mostly Sara Kirishima whom I think might be voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Granted there's very little chance I'll ever get to play this game...still: I hope one of the Special Infected is a ninja. =3

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Darks63 said:
Ninja'd. I am equally stunned that a game designed to be marketed in Japan has a character that is a schoolgirl.

Ah Japan, with your crazy Fetishes, awesome martial arts and hierarchical honour system, where would we all be without you?