What the Hell Is Going On With E3?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
What the Hell Is Going On With E3?

In all seriousness, I think the industry's got it completely wrong with E3. Triple-A games have every advantage in the sodding world.

Read Full Article

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Can't say I don't agree. So I agree.

I'm just trying my best to avoid many of the E3 crap and just play a game. Or as destructoid once said it: stfuajpg. Sometimes, that's the best way to enjoy games I feel.

Now, should I keep playing dawngate or go to bed already?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea, e3;

I do however like the idea of a non-partisan awards thing for games, but who the hell would judge something like that? How would you choose them?

I've also always found it funny that many gamers remember that it's a business until they're getting hype thrown at them. It's good to remember what George Carlin said on the subject:
http://youtu.be/SibF7GIOiSU

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Like Gabriel said in lets drown out..."The Golden Croshaw event"

I hate to inflate ego's, but it would certainly catch on. Plus E3 is just a smug, overbudgeted party for the rich kids that like to toss off into scrumples of money together.
...And those game demonstrators on stage...good god, why do i want to hit them so badly?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Resist the hype machine. I must admit, when I see actual gameplay of Sunset Overdrive I find that hard. For the most part I just know there's going to be major flaws in something which I otherwise will think is good.

343 Industries is adding their own stuff to the original Halos: So I'm going to really enjoy the games again, and then get stabbed in the back by being told that what Bungie wrote was actually leading up to 343's shitty villain and their dumb plot in Halo 4.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
I'd love to be hyped for anything other than the Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4. Unfortunately no new IP, indie, or other game in general had an exciting trailer that featured gameplay set to a great song. I mean, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, and Zelda Wii U, the big first party system sellers, all only got <1 minute teasers. Only Zelda and Uncharted were maybe-possibly in-engine and none of them showed realistic gameplay. No Last Guardian, no thatgamecompany, no Deus Ex, and no exciting new IP's. There was just nothing exciting and new this E3.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
E3? More like A3 amIright!? Eh? Eeeeh?

Don't really get caught up too much in hype. I'm not impervious to it's allure but usually I get excited for a few minutes when watching whatever but that quickly passes into a general "hope it's good, looking forward to maybe play it, if it is" mentality.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
In all seriousness, I think the industry's got it completely wrong with E3. Triple-A games have every advantage in the sodding world.
If that were the case they wouldn't be getting their asses handed to them so much.

Idie devs are earning millions of dollars before they would even start working on a game, and then sell millions of copies before they would even finish the game. And all they cost is the labor of three or four dudes in some basement.

AAA studios need to spend absurd amounts of development costs, and even bigger advertisement costs to pull the same numbers.

If anything, E3 feels like a relic of the past, like a World's Fair in the 21th century. "Hey, remember when geeks actually CARED about presentations like this?" "Hey, remember when Tomb Raider was the hottest brand in gaming?" "Hey, remember when improved graphics still awed people?"

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Alterego-X said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Idie devs are earning millions of dollars before they would even start working on a game, and then sell millions of copies before they would even finish the game. And all they cost is the labor of three or four dudes in some basement.
Uh....what indie games are you talking about, exactly? Because that doesn't sound like any indie games I know.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I liked everything during Sony's conference this E#. A shit ton of indie games,a couple of interesting looking new IP's, and more news on games I'm interested in.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I laughed the hardest at the EA section, about the presenter vomiting up live beetles. I guess Yahtzee watched the Mummy again.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
The fact that so much of what was shown was shit was depressing, the eagerness with which people in the stream chat were eating it (especially the BF: Hardline beta) was even more so.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
Alterego-X said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
If that were the case they wouldn't be getting their asses handed to them so much.
They've got every advantage. That doesn't mean they're not pissing those advantages up the wall at every opportunity by spunking all their money on advertising rather than making great games.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Nintendo is "not presenting". I'm currently watching a recording of their hour-long event.

Sadly, I wasn't able to see any of their several-hour event after that.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Evonisia said:
Resist the hype machine. I must admit, when I see actual gameplay of Sunset Overdrive I find that hard. For the most part I just know there's going to be major flaws in something which I otherwise will think is good.

343 Industries is adding their own stuff to the original Halos: So I'm going to really enjoy the games again, and then get stabbed in the back by being told that what Bungie wrote was actually leading up to 343's shitty villain and their dumb plot in Halo 4.
welcome to dune my friend, welcome to dune

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I have always heard Yahtzee's words, understood them, and realized where he's coming from when he says resist the hype and remember not to trust the smile. But I have never truly felt them. I still get excited when a big game I'm looking forward to gets talked about, or I get to see a new preview or trailer or whatever.

That changed this year. I truly felt the gravity of Yahtzee's words when I tried, and utterly failed, to watch that Mass Effect 4 video the other night. Everything he said that is wrong with E3--the fake smiles, the pretending nothing is wrong, the "one-hundred percent nothing's wrong back slapping--was on glorious display as those developers were talking in that video. I couldn't believe what they were saying, and thus I couldn't finis the video.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Nintendos presentation was the only one that felt genuine, they had the actual devs talking about their games, even the CEOs are actual avid gamers and not suits with their faces superglued into smiles, spewing buzzwords and spinning about it being "best on Playstation/xbox" and taking potshots at each other without actually saying anything of substance.

Nintendo and The Witcher 3 had genuinely enthusiastic presentations where they basically just said, we want you to have fun, here's what we've got, enjoy. No bollocks, no fluff.

Yoshis wooly adventure, Splatoon; actually innovative, but do I hear Nintendo saying anything of the sort? No, they just show it to you. You decide if it's innovative from what you've seen, not because you've been told "This is unique and innovative, pushing the frontier of gaming for gamers, because it's best on playstation".

From Nintendos presentation I'm absoloutely going to buy a Wii U.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
E3, to me, has always been just another way to hear details about something I might be interested in. The problem is E3 really is just like other industries' awards shows, rich bastards gloating about how great they are and working the journalist over with booth babes and swag. I might get 2 or 3 things that stay or receive a coveted place in my list of things to actively keep tabs on. I'd rather they just held their individual PR events or Nintendo-Direct style events. Of course, they love doing this since it gets everyone (there and at home) hyped up when many might otherwise be more skeptical about things.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
elvor0 said:
Nintendos presentation was the only one that felt genuine, they had the actual devs talking about their games, even the CEOs are actual avid gamers and not suits with their faces superglued into smiles, spewing buzzwords and spinning about it being "best on Playstation/xbox" and taking potshots at each other without actually saying anything of substance.

Nintendo and The Witcher 3 had genuinely enthusiastic presentations where they basically just said, we want you to have fun, here's what we've got, enjoy. No bollocks, no fluff.

Yoshis wooly adventure, Splatoon; actually innovative, but do I hear Nintendo saying anything of the sort? No, they just show it to you. You decide if it's innovative from what you've seen, not because you've been told "This is unique and innovative, pushing the frontier of gaming for gamers, because it's best on playstation".

From Nintendos presentation I'm absoloutely going to buy a Wii U.
Pretty much how I feel. I still enjoyed seeing the Playstation and Xbox presentations, but I liked the sense of fun Nintendo offered. Sure they had the shortest presentation showing the fewest games, but looking at so many comments online, I think they convinced a lot of people to either buy, or consider getting a Wii U.

I also feel the line about publishers being the enemy a little silly. In the end, they are at our mercy when it comes to sales. After watching all the conferences yesterday, I was only impressed by a few games. Last time I checked, the publishers weren't holding a gun to my head demanding I buy at least one of their games.