New Co-Op Shooter Battleborn Unveiled by Gearbox and 2K

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Co-Op Shooter Battleborn Unveiled by Gearbox and 2K

Gearbox president Randy Pitchford says that Battleborn will be the "most ambitious video game that Gearbox has ever created."

Note: This news story was originally published at GameFront.

Gearbox and 2K Games have announced there partnership on a new IP. The game in question will be called Battleborn and, according to a release from 2K, will deliver "frenetic first-person shooting with co-operative combat" on the "last star" of a "dying universe" where players will be able to select from a "an expansive collection of diverse heroes" and work together with their friend to fight through a "narrative-driven" co-op campaign. According to Gearbox's president Randy Pitchford it will also be the most "ambitious" game the studio has worked on to date.

"If Borderlands 2 is a shooter-looter, Battleborn is a hero-shooter," said Pitchford. "As a genre-fused, hobby-grade, co-operative and competitive FPS exploding with eye-popping style and an imaginative universe, Battleborn is the most ambitious video game that Gearbox has ever created."

Coinciding with the game's reveal, Gearbox and 2K have released a trailer to give gamers a glimpse at what to expect. In particular, the trailer demonstrated some of the diverse heroes and fighting styles that the game will play host to. Among the heroes show off were an elf-like archer, a steam punk robot gunslinger, a magic casting duelist, a mini-gun toting soldier and a dual-wielding swordsman all of whom worked together to fend off a horde of enemies.

The initial reveal included no information about a potential release window. That said, it has been confirmed that the game will be coming out on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Here's what Escapist News Now and Andrea Rene have to say on the new game:

[video=9527 autoplay=0]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
A steampunk robot gunslinger with a bowler hat...I had no idea I wanted that, but now I do.

Sep 24, 2008
Seriously, Game designers, Please Evolve. Think about other things to do with Black Characters than make them soldiers.

You are the dream makers... Dream a little harder.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ObsidianJones said:
Seriously, Game designers, Please Evolve. Think about other things to do with Black Characters than make them soldiers.

....Black? Guy looks pretty damn white to me. You could argue that he's hispanic or has a tan, but he sure as heck isn't black. Heck, the guy swinging the red swords has darker skin than him.

Sep 24, 2008
erttheking said:
ObsidianJones said:

....Black? Guy looks pretty damn white to me. You could argue that he's hispanic or has a tan, but he sure as heck isn't black. Heck, the guy swinging the red swords has darker skin than him.
You might be right, but he's a lot like my skin tone. I might have jumped the gun, but with how character designs usually are... I kind of doubt it.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Huh...well, I've always preferred the Grey Manes anyway...
God, Olfrid was annoying. >.>

This looks fairly interesting as well.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, I would like to be enthusiastic about this, but watching the trailer the impression I got was this:

From the studio that brought you smash hit Aliens: Colonial Marines comes a new class-based-co-op-competitive-FPS, get ready for mobs, mobs and more mobs!.

Something about that trailer set off my F2P alarm as well, probably the look of the world and character design. Hopefully my instincts are wrong, it looks like a lovely world if nothing else.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
erttheking said:
ObsidianJones said:

You might be right, but he's a lot like my skin tone. I might have jumped the gun, but with how character designs usually are... I kind of doubt it.
Since when are all black people soldiers in games? Even in games where all of them are soldiers they usually dont fall into the hardcore soldier type of character, the only ones I can trully think of is Battlefield Bad Company and Call of Duty Modern Warfare (and Borderlands to a stretch) where they are the squad leaders screaming orders left and right, the rest like Team Fortress 2 and Gears of War (and basicly all the other shooters) has them being other things that define them more then being soldiers.

And I dont know if being quadroon is the same as being black

OT: It seems to have a lot of the Borderlands DNA in it but lets hope it doesnt have the writting, that shit in 2 was abysmal

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Any chance they stripped out the toilet humor?
Well if Gearbox want to distance this from Bordrlands, then moving way from the mile a minuite stream of comedy associated with the series would be a good a place as any to start.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh aren't we cleverly trying to avoid the M word... it's a fucking MOBA, we can smell this shit by now Gearbox because everyone and their granny is making them.
Also the trailer is done rather poorly so either you are trying to avoid another A:CM fiasco or the dev team has very little money to go on.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
erttheking said:
ObsidianJones said:

That's definitely a white dude with a beard and a really small head, just for the record. :)

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
In theory this looks okay, but...

If you're making a first person shooter, can we please have something to tip us off that it's an FPS in you reveal trailer? Not gameplay obviously, that'd just be silly, but maybe something prerendered from a first person view point. The first half of this looks like it's from Kingdoms of Amalur.

Second all the design elements of this just look borrowed from somewhere. We start of with a Na'vi Elf. We've then got big guy with chaingun and Darth Maul style twin-lightsabre wielder. We then have aloof Victorian style magic lady. Only the mechanical gentleman (for want of a better description) looks cool and in some way unique. It just seems like a bunch of generic elements thrown together, not any kind of actual universe.

Sep 24, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
ObsidianJones said:
erttheking said:
ObsidianJones said:

That's definitely a white dude with a beard and a really small head, just for the record. :)
Well, so far we have possibly Hispanic, My skin color (and I've been black all my life. It's on my birth certificate), A quadroon (I get to mark in my Journal that someone actually said that word today), and white.

Any more takers? No one said Mongolian yet.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Any more takers? No one said Mongolian yet.
Who cares, when did diversity in gaming become the focal point over weather the game is fun or not, who cares if the soldier class is black, white, yellow, green a man, women, asexual, multi limb or disabled if the game sucks total and utter ass? The hero could the whitest of uber whitest hero type males and I wouldn't give a flying f*ck if the game was fun to play.

The game sucked total and utter ass but at least it show cased a diversity of hero types.... really at what point did THIS become the focal point?

As for the game itself, well the footage seems to fly in the face of what the game is being advertised as so I'll wait till I actually see some game footage, all I know is Gearbox and 2K gave us Borderlands and that was a f*cking awesome FPS, the only problem being that Gearbox saying this is the most ambitious game they have ever done combined with them shifting the Borderlands pre-sequel to different developer... well it doesn't bode well for the next Borderlands game.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Gearbox president Randy Pitchford should still be holding his head in a bucket with "shame" written all over it. Seriously, he is right up there in the "bullshit" department with EA and Activision. And no, thanks for asking, I am not over A:CM and DNF.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Glaice said:
This has MOBA elements in it, pass.
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Can we get a game that's not trying to be a cash cow MOBA?.
Maybe I'm missing something but they said this was a FPS that just features a co-op campaign. I don't know how that gets defined as a MOBA.