13 New Games Get the Greenlight

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I bought waking mars literally 24 hours ago. I might ask for a steam key for convenience, would have preferred it on there.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
TheKasp said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Let's see if Valve can actually get Greenlit games on the damn market before we get excited about any new additions to the store. So far we've seen incomplete games overcharge people without telling people that the games were not done. Towns is the biggest offender of this.
*points to Giana Sisters to prove your statement invalid*

Don't generalise please. There are finished - and good games that were greenlit and are now on Steam.
I'm sorry but the Greenlight games have still been mostly incomplete. And only 7 out of the 30+ games that have been released in the months that Greenlight has been going along. The Giana Sisters doesn't really invalidate my point as it is one of the few very completely finished games released through Greenlight that isn't just a re-release that got voted onto Steam.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
NinjaSocks333 said:
And yet none of the first games to get Green-lit are on steam yet near as i can tell. i know some are sot finished, but how hard is it to put Black Mesa on steam?
Postal 2 and Towns were both in the first lot to be Greenlit and have both been released.

I can only assume Black Mesa has hit some sort of problem. Having no idea how the Steam service is run, I don't know what changes need to be made to a game to make it compatible. There may also be legal fandangles to work through, as Black Mesa is (technically speaking) infringing Valve's copyright. Valve don't care, but that doesn't necessarily mean their lawyers won't insist some sort of agreement be made to ensure that accepting Black Mesa onto Steam cannot be used in future by other studios as an excuse to abuse other Valve IP. (Failing to protect your intellectual property in the past has be used in court as a successful defence for infringing copyright - with the fantastically school-yard "but you didn't care when they did it" logic.)
That doesn't explain the other 30 games on the list,most of which have been "greenlit" for months.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Dragon's Lair?!

I really wish Farsight's The Pinball Arcade would be greenlit. There's a dearth of PC pinball games, and an even narrower selection of ones worth playing that came out in the last ten years. That Digital Leisure managed to get the pass for another #$%%ing version of Dragon's Lair- a game so desperate for exposure that it's already available on every damn medium from my phone and the Nintendo DS to your @#$%ing DVD player- makes me want to break something.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Meh, I am sorta indifferent.
On the other hand, the moment this game hits Greenlight (I hope it goes that route) then it will be cherry pie all around!

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Darkfall Unholy Wars is an upcoming sequel to the cult classic and niche Darkfall. It's an open world persistent sandbox MMO with free for all PvP, full loot, sieges and the combat is first person/third person with no tab target. This game, unlike the first, will have classes, or roles. You can mix and match roles and switch between with a short timer, so your character is not locked to one playstyle. Leveling one role is easy, shouldn't take more than a couple of days to finish, but leveling them all is hard. All gear is craftable by the player, and you wont be attatched to your items like you are in other MMOs, it comes and go's pretty easy, so losing it is no big deal, and gaining it from others is a nice bonus.

Darkfall has been on Steam greenlight for 2 days, and the entirety of the dedicated hardcore fanbase voted YES, and told all their friends. It will be released on 12.12.12, and possibly released on Steam at a later date, or on the same day, it hasn't been announced. Darkfall Unholy Wars follows the subscription method, you buy the client (unless you owned Darkfall 1), and pay a small subscription fee each month. A hardcore full loot PvP MMO does not fit the FFA cashshop model, so if you can't afford the subscription for a month of entertainment which is the same as one trip to the cinema, this probably isn't the genre for you anyway.

You can find out more here:

http://darkfallonline.com/uw/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkfall.../videos?view=0
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/index.php

ECasThat

Nov 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The new additions are:

Blackspace
Darkfall Unholy Wars
Dawn of Fantasy
Dragon's Lair
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Gear Up
Kinetic Void - Space Adventure
The Light
No Time To Explain
Primordia
Sang-Froid : Tales of Werewolves
StarForge
Waking Mars
Andy Chalk said:
Dawn of Fantasy
Dragon's Lair
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Gear Up
Kinetic Void - Space Adventure
Andy Chalk said:
Euro Truck Simulator 2
What?! Who...? Why? Doesn't it take a good 15000 votes to get something greenlit? How did this get on? is there really that many that want to play this simulator?

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Natdaprat said:
Darkfall Unholy Wars is an upcoming sequel to the cult classic and niche Darkfall. It's an open world persistent sandbox MMO with free for all PvP, full loot, sieges and the combat is first person/third person with no tab target. This game, unlike the first, will have classes, or roles. You can mix and match roles and switch between with a short timer, so your character is not locked to one playstyle. Leveling one role is easy, shouldn't take more than a couple of days to finish, but leveling them all is hard. All gear is craftable by the player, and you wont be attatched to your items like you are in other MMOs, it comes and go's pretty easy, so losing it is no big deal, and gaining it from others is a nice bonus.

Darkfall has been on Steam greenlight for 2 days, and the entirety of the dedicated hardcore fanbase voted YES, and told all their friends. It will be released on 12.12.12, and possibly released on Steam at a later date, or on the same day, it hasn't been announced. Darkfall Unholy Wars follows the subscription method, you buy the client (unless you owned Darkfall 1), and pay a small subscription fee each month. A hardcore full loot PvP MMO does not fit the FFA cashshop model, so if you can't afford the subscription for a month of entertainment which is the same as one trip to the cinema, this probably isn't the genre for you anyway.

At first I was like "ooooh, somebody's finally talking about Darkfall!"

Then I was like "Oh look, it's Nat."

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
88chaz88 said:
Natdaprat said:

At first I was like "ooooh, somebody's finally talking about Darkfall!"

Then I was like "Oh look, it's Nat."
You might find me on multiple gaming websites promoting Darkfall.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Let's see if Valve can actually get Greenlit games on the damn market before we get excited about any new additions to the store. So far we've seen incomplete games overcharge people without telling people that the games were not done. Towns is the biggest offender of this.
The two I've got were finished. Perhaps you just have poor luck in choosing.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
A truck simulator and Dragon's Lair? Fucking hell man. Just... Fuck. Why vote for such terrible shit!?! WHY!?!
There is so much shit on Greenlight and people somehow manage to Greenlight two of the biggest loads of shit there. This severely dissapoints me. May as well have gotten Bed Simulator Greenlit for fuck's sake.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The two I've got were finished. Perhaps you just have poor luck in choosing.
It's not poor luck that has 7 out of 37 Greenlight games with no release on Steam while a decent chunk of them are available on their own sites.

It's also not poor luck that out of the 7 games that are Greenlit, 1 is still in alpha charging full price, one is an iOS re-release, and one has the most Draconian DRM since Ubisoft's former handling of PC games. That leaves 4 games that are worth people's money in the months of Greenlight's existence. Valve has admitted that Greenlight isn't being handled that well at all as well.

It's not luck, its poor execution.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
llagrok said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
]It's not poor luck that has 7 out of 37 Greenlight games with no release on Steam while a decent chunk of them are available on their own sites.

It's also not poor luck that out of the 7 games that are Greenlit, 1 is still in alpha charging full price, one is an iOS re-release, and one has the most Draconian DRM since Ubisoft's former handling of PC games. That leaves 4 games that are worth people's money in the months of Greenlight's existence. Valve has admitted that Greenlight isn't being handled that well at all as well.

It's not luck, its poor execution.
Are you trying to make the claim that Towns is not worth people's money simply because it's not finished? Because that's a game you can easily sink a ton of hours into.

This is being blown way out of proportion, Valve said that Greenlight in its current state is not what they want the project to be, not that it's being handled poorly.
Yes I'm saying that Towns is not worth the money it charges because its not finished. I'm sorry but when the game came out on Steam there was no indication on its store page that the game was not finished, and that is BS. The game is good don't get me wrong but unfinished games should not be getting released on Steam.

Yes Towns is a game that can be a time sink, but the game itself is in still very, very rough shape in terms of functionality. Having your villagers go across the map to gather things is a problem, especially when they auto engage things they can't kill in combat. The game's tutorial is garbage.

I'm sorry to criticize a game you like, but I'm just echoing the thoughts of a lot of people on the Steam forums. If Steam's Greenlight service was a lot more like Desura's Alpha-Funding, it wouldn't be an issue. But Steam is releasing games that are not finished and not stating that in the store page. The developer of Cortex Command recently made a large read of an apology for the same thing happening.

I'm not going to sit here and let people make excuses for Greenlight because they like Valve. Greenlight is being handled poorly. RockPaperShotgun has been calling them out for its performance for a while now, so its not a new thing to be calling Greenlight a project with a few missteps. I love Steam and Valve but this Greenlight project is starting to piss Steam users off. Hell, look at the controversy surrounding Miner Wars 2081 for another example.