#130: Batter Up

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
How about that: for the last strip, I made a comment referring to baseball, and now something like baseball happened in today's strip. I have the GIFT!

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
So what you're saying is that this is his stealth sword, and that he left his fancy pierced one because it was too flashy for undercover stuff?
Erin decreed that they won't be any more killing people, so not-Cloud left his stupidly oversized sword at their base and brought a stupidly oversized cricket bat instead.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
hittite said:
Ok but seriously, what happened to the sword's nose ring?
Holy crap you said the exact thing I wanted to say! Exact same wording, too...

Turns out, he has several swords, only one seems to have the rings, and he's not using this one for the infiltration plan (the rings aren't in any strips since they got to the building). I went back to when they were in the hideout after fleeing to check (strip #114).
So what you're saying is that this is his stealth sword, and that he left his fancy pierced one because it was too flashy for undercover stuff?
Yup, he got his 'normal' sword out, so as to not stand out.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
vallorn said:
RJ 17 said:
Huh...I wouldn't have thought a sword that big could move fast enough to pull off Genji's deflect against bullets. :3
Size matters less than density, if that sword were made of carbon fiber it would be light enough to lift with one hand easily, magnesium alloy is not much more dense than that and is still stupidly light.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
RJ 17 said:
Huh...I wouldn't have thought a sword that big could move fast enough to pull of Genji's deflect against bullets. :3
JRPG Physics. Mass is no factor in agility. :)
Any Physics, Size != Mass. Density acutally matters. If this were carbon steel the guy would need stupid arms and shoulder muscles to swing it, but if it were a low density material like I mentioned bove he could swing it about like a toohpick. Not to mention exotic materials like Aerogel.

Grumpy Ginger said:
RJ 17 said:
Huh...I wouldn't have thought a sword that big could move fast enough to pull of Genji's deflect against bullets. :3
From the looks of its he's taking advantage of the how ludicrously broad the sword is and just using it as a shield.
More like a cricket bat. The blocking of a VERY hard ball with the flat side of the bat seems a lot more like this than shielding.

P.S. For Americans reading this, Cricket is to Baseball what Rugby is to American Football, a gentleman's game without all the cowardly need for padding and an actual international following as a sport instead of just American teams competing to see who can get a brain disorder the fastest.
I would say that'a s a home run, wouldn't you? Also, I am mostly cuirious how a bat, a knife, or a bow of graphene would look...

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
vallorn said:
Size matters less than density, if that sword were made of carbon fiber it would be light enough to lift with one hand easily, magnesium alloy is not much more dense than that and is still stupidly light.

Not to mention exotic materials like Aerogel.
All three of which would be terrible materials to make a sword out of. Carbon fiber maybe, but good luck getting it to hold an edge.

If Google hasn't completely failed me, it seems that there really isn't a practical alternative to good old steel for the sort of stresses a sword has to deal with.