Vin Diesel Loves Dungeons & Dragons

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Vin Diesel Loves Dungeons & Dragons

The Guardians of the Galaxy and Fast & Furious 7 star told Jimmy Fallon about his love for twenty-siders on The Tonight Show.

There's not a lot of Hollywood stars who proudly let their geek flag fly, but Vin Diesel is among them. Rumored to have run a Dungeons & Dragons game for the cast of Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/8672-The-Chronicles-of-Riddick], Diesel credited D&D with his becoming an actor. "I kind of became who I am because I played Dungeons & Dragons," says Diesel. "We acted! Every time we played, for the first couple hours we would just be talking, shooting the shit, and then, once we started getting into the game, everything changed!"

"I was lucky, because I grew up in artist's housing in the village, called Westbeth," says Diesel. "There were a whole bunch of out of work artists, and if you made more than $10,000 a year you were kicked out of the building. So all these children of artists were, you know, fantasy roleplayers and we started playing Dungeons & Dragons."

Like most tabletop roleplayers, Diesel says he has played many different characters, but one stands out from the rest. "There was a character named Melkor at one point," says Diesel, who drew the name from J. R. R. Tokien's The Silmarillion. During the filming of xXx, the name Melkor was one of the fake tattoos that his character, Xander Cage, sported. Tigon Studios, the game developer founded by Diesel, has produced Riddick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127657-Escape-From-Butcher-Bay-Team-Returns-For-Riddick]. A game based on Melkor was in development by Tigon Studios, but the studio has been inactive since 2009.

Diesel's next film has him playing Fast & Furious 7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130777-Vin-Diesel-to-Play-Sentient-Tree-Groot-in-Marvels-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy ], which was delayed by the tragic death of co-star Paul Walker in car accident.

Source: The Tonight Show [http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/9456]

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I love to throw this factoid in my girlfriends face when she comments on how much of a dork I am for playing D&D.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Heh, I've sometimes wondered what class and alignment Diesel would consider Riddick. My guess would be a chaotic neutral rogue (given his stealth, use of knives and criminal background) or a lawful neutral monk (given his skill at hand-to-hand combat, having something of a personal code of conduct, and survival skills).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
This is old news. His love for D&D and other geeky stuff should be known to most gamers by now.
Yeah, this is a real slowpoke.jpg moment. It was years ago the public found this out, he's stated his love for D&D on numerous interviews.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Weaver said:
Adam Jensen said:
This is old news. His love for D&D and other geeky stuff should be known to most gamers by now.
Yeah, this is a real slowpoke.jpg moment. It was years ago the public found this out, he's stated his love for D&D on numerous interviews.
I love this one because of how into it he gets even just talking about it, and in the end its a nice way of explaining how D&D can be more then just another game and give kids a good way of learning about storytelling.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Mr.Diesel needs to get an old school, high fantasy role, I wanna see what he can actually do with this sort of thing.

And in other news, Guardians of the Galaxy is freaking awesome, lets just say that Groot's role at the end of the film is particularly awesome/adorable.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
In other shocking headlines:
John Travolta and Tom Cruise are scientologists
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are friends
Kevin Smith is a nerd
Lindsay Lohan is a *****
The sky is blue

Please, tell me more. I mean, I had no idea that he's a DnD nerd, he only wrote a foreword to 30th anniversary handbook and convinced dame Judi Dench to have a game with him ten years ago.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Mike Fang said:
Heh, I've sometimes wondered what class and alignment Diesel would consider Riddick. My guess would be a chaotic neutral rogue (given his stealth, use of knives and criminal background) or a lawful neutral monk (given his skill at hand-to-hand combat, having something of a personal code of conduct, and survival skills).
While looking up a bunch of different things about this or that on Riddick and Dungeons & Dragons, it's been argued that Riddick is very much a Chaotic Neutral character that easily fits into the rouge class. Though if you dropped the magic bits of it, he could also fit snugly into the shadow dancer sub-class.

...and now I feel weird for geeking out so much. Oh well.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Mike Fang said:
Dying_Jester said:
While looking up a bunch of different things about this or that on Riddick and Dungeons & Dragons, it's been argued that Riddick is very much a Chaotic Neutral character that easily fits into the rouge class. Though if you dropped the magic bits of it, he could also fit snugly into the shadow dancer sub-class.

...and now I feel weird for geeking out so much. Oh well.
The official Complete Guide to Scoundrels lists Riddick as Chaotic Evil

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RealRT said:
Kevin Smith is a nerd
Lindsay Lohan is a *****
The sky is blue

Please, tell me more. I mean, I had no idea that he's a DnD nerd, he only wrote a foreword to 30th anniversary handbook and convinced dame Judi Dench to have a game with him ten years ago.
As someone who didn't know Diesel was into D&D I resent those remarks, it is possible to not know (especially when not in America where most of these interviews etc happen)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
RicoADF said:
RealRT said:
Kevin Smith is a nerd
Lindsay Lohan is a *****
The sky is blue

As someone who didn't know Diesel was into D&D I resent those remarks, it is possible to not know (especially when not in America where most of these interviews etc happen)
I'm not in America either, so what's your excuse? One visit to his Wikipedia or TV tropes page or one of the many, many "celebrities who are into geek stuff" lists.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
You don't say fella.

I was trying to think what exactly this article was going to add, like that he literally makes love to D&D or something and was disappointed to find this common info.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RealRT said:
I'm not in America either, so what's your excuse? One visit to his Wikipedia or TV tropes page or one of the many, many "celebrities who are into geek stuff" lists.
No excuse is needed, I don't generally care what actors are into I watch the movies and leave it at that. To assume everyone goes out of their way to find this stuff out is rather presumptuous, there's no need to insult people who don't care enough to look. (last part was referring to other posters not yourself)

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
kyosai7 said:
This is actually the most surprising thing I've read in this topic. I totally would've pegged Riddick for CN

Also, I'd say Riddick is actually a Ranger (sans divine spellcasting). This is keeping in mind his apparently vast survival skills (see: Opening of Chronicles, and the opening of Riddick) and animal ken (recall his interaction with the guard dogs in Chronicles) penchant for dual-wielding those knives of his, and his stealth. He also receives a level adjustment for his Furyan heritage, which grants him darkvision and rage (the barbarian class feature) as a racial ability, similar to orcs.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
UberPubert said:
kyosai7 said:
This is actually the most surprising thing I've read in this topic. I totally would've pegged Riddick for CN

Also, I'd say Riddick is actually a Ranger (sans divine spellcasting). This is keeping in mind his apparently vast survival skills (see: Opening of Chronicles, and the opening of Riddick) and animal ken (recall his interaction with the guard dogs in Chronicles) penchant for dual-wielding those knives of his, and his stealth. He also receives a level adjustment for his Furyan heritage, which grants him darkvision and rage (the barbarian class feature) as a racial ability, similar to orcs.
I also find it surprising that he would beisted a CE rather than CN. CN value personal freedom over most anything else, much like how Riddick has only really killed anyone who has gone after him or gotten between him and his personal freedom. A CE however usually boils down to killing someone simply because they are weaker, which we've seen Riddick avoid doing throughout all three movies.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Daedrin said:
Hey....hey...Escapist? Are...are you Kotaku now?

I love that image as I recall what that book is referencing. I'm still to this day confused on why an article of that nature with its links was doing on kotaku, but I don't really read much of their articles so maybe its the norm there I don't know.