Batman v. Superman Producer Thinks You're Hating On Affleck Too Much

Sir Isaac

Aug 24, 2007
Batman v. Superman Producer Thinks You're Hating On Affleck Too Much

He also confirms how old Bruce Wayne will be this time out.

Are you among those who think Batfleck is a bad idea? You're not alone: the news that Academy Award-winning director (and Razzie Award-winning actor) Ben Affleck had been cast as Bruce Wayne in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was met with a lot of mockery and a lot of ambivalence.

But is that fair? Sure, Affleck's last turn as a superhero - 2003's Daredevil - was a trainwreck, but it's been a long time since the Bennifer days when Affleck was a public punchline, and it isn't like this is the first time a Batman-associated actor was denied a good reception. Batman v. Superman executive producer Michael Uslan certainly thinks so. Speaking to App.com, Uslan reflected on his long history with Batman films (he's exec-produced every film since Tim Burton's Batman), and defended Ben Affleck against skeptics, comparing his reception to that previous actors in the franchise's various incarnations have enjoyed.

After highlighting how there were skeptics of Burton's decision to cast Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the original film, Uslan went on to say "we've been through this I don't know how many times already.... I remember even the 'Iron Man' (2008) guys got it on Robert Downey Jr. initially. Of course, we got it intensely when another genius, Chris Nolan, chose Heath Ledger to play the Joker (in 2008's 'The Dark Knight'). And it was a huge outcry: 'How can a guy who just played a gay cowboy (in 2005's 'Brokeback Mountain') play the Joker?' You're going to destroy the greatest villain ever, this is going to be a laugh. So, this has happened time and again, and it happened with Affleck."

This isn't entirely accurate, of course. Robert Downey, Jr. was widely celebrated when he was cast as Tony Stark (the concensus was, almost immediately, that it was perfect casting.) However, it's definitely true that Michael Keaton, who up to Batman was known primarily as a comedic actor, and former teen idol Heath Ledger were controversial choices. And both of them made detractors eat much crow once the films were released. one can see the challenges of casting an actor like Ben Affleck as Batman. Given this perspective, might as well cut Ben the benefit of the doubt, no?

Meanwhile, Uslan also (mostly) revealed Bruce Wayne's age in the film, and it seems that we all guessed incorrectly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136688-Details-on-Batmans-Career-in-Batman-v-Superman-Sneak-Out]. Previous rumors had the Batman v. Superman's Dark Knight in his 50s, with a 30 year career as Batman under his belt. However, Uslan told App.com that "[t]o go back to the original thought of Bruce Wayne in his mid-40s, I think he's going to be extraordinary." Which means Bruce Wayne will be around the same age as the man playing him for a change. This at least makes Affleck believable in the role.

What are your thoughts on Uslan's comments? What were your reactions when it was announced that Michael Keaton, Robert Downey Jr., or Heath Ledger were cast in their respective comic movie (but before you actually saw the films)? Did your opinions on those castings change after watching those films?

Source: ComicBookMovie.com [http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/arts/2014/08/10/michael-uslan-looks-back-batman/13788007/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I was pro-Ledger. He'd showed a decent range up until then, from goofy comedies to drama. Given what we know now, I probably undersold him, but still.

Most of us were too young to have a major opinion on Keaton, or not even born. Children, all of you! Get off my lawn!

I don't know, this strikes me more as a pushback against Clooney as Batman than Keaton as Batman. I don't think he's a fit. I don't think it because of Daredevil, either. I think it because he's got a limited acting range that I don't associate with Bruce Wayne or Batman. This parallels to Downey, who was already playing Tony Stark in real life. And while I could be wrong, I don't think having an opinion based on his body of work thus far (not a bad actor, just a limited one) is going too far.

But also, Mccoffrey's right. I can't remember the last time Batfleck came up in conversation. Even looking at that picture, I see a bigger problem: this movie looks like someone just ran over its kitten.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I've heard someone complain about Affleck's chin being wrong for Batman.

With complaints this petty, I don't recognise them at all. They're just stupid, honestly. Affleck has great acting chops and it'd be a hell of a lot better than moar Christian Bale Batman voice, that's for damn certain.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I was pro-Ledger. He'd showed a decent range up until then, from goofy comedies to drama. Given what we know now, I probably undersold him, but still.

Most of us were too young to have a major opinion on Keaton, or not even born. Children, all of you! Get off my lawn!

I don't know, this strikes me more as a pushback against Clooney as Batman than Keaton as Batman. I don't think he's a fit. I don't think it because of Daredevil, either. I think it because he's got a limited acting range that I don't associate with Bruce Wayne or Batman. This parallels to Downey, who was already playing Tony Stark in real life. And while I could be wrong, I don't think having an opinion based on his body of work thus far (not a bad actor, just a limited one) is going too far.

But also, Mccoffrey's right. I can't remember the last time Batfleck came up in conversation. Even looking at that picture, I see a bigger problem: this movie looks like someone just ran over its kitten.
Emboldened section quoted for truth. Also the rest of it.

Personally, I'm pro Ben Affleck generally. He is of very limited range but with the right director - usually himself - he does good work. He might here too! That is, if it weren't for the fact that Batman v. Superman looks like the world's finest both got dumped at the same time.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Are people really hating on Affleck? It's been months since I heard anyone say a word about him. I haven't even heard anyone say "Batfleck" in ages.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
We don't hate Batfleck. We do however sort of wish that he was directing rather than acting. I mean seriously guys, you take the oscar winning director and screenwriter who loves comic books, and you give him the rubber suit, and instead give the directors chair to Zachary Snyder... Again? I think that somewhere someone got the roles of Organ Grinder and Monkey confused?

We the fans for the most part actually think Ben Affleck could probably make an excellent Batman movie. We just don't particularly want to see him as Batman. And the thought of him playing old Dark Knight Returns Crazy Steve... Ummm Batman just feels like a Saturday Night Live Sketch that is writing itself. And this isn't saying that Affleck is (always) a bad actor. There are plenty of DC comics roles he would be picture perfect as. Hal Jordon or Barry Allen come to mind. In the Batman world he certainly could pull off a stunningly credible and creepy Edward Nygma. He does cocky arrogance mixed with quirkiness and charm well. It's the sociopathic intensity needed for Batman that seems a stretch. He spent most of Daredevil simply looking constipated.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The Affleck hating kinda died down within a week of the announcement. Right now, people (or at least me) are more concerned that this is going to be another stupid story with inconsistent characterization, an idiot of a villain, totally unfaithful to the characters and themes of the source material, and lots of blue filters. You know, kinda like Man of Steel was.

P.S. Thanks

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
On the plus side, Affleck is distracting from all the other horrible decisions they have made that will result in this film being directionless, overlong and overpopulated trainwreck of a film. Too many characters, too gritty and too late...

Affleck is the least thing I am worried about. The sun does not rise and set on fucking Batman. I just hope he gets enough juice out of this to make some more good movies.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Going by the fact that every negative opinion was confirmed and even surpassed by the TMNT movie, I'm putting more stock in what the internet critics say.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RossaLincoln said:
Personally, I'm pro Ben Affleck generally. He is of very limited range but with the right director - usually himself - he does good work. He might here too! That is, if it weren't for the fact that Batman v. Superman looks like the world's finest both got dumped at the same time.
One of the things that occurs to me is that Affleck may end up being good and the movie around him may be awful anyway.

Of course, I'm not holding out for any of this being good. I do enjoy Ben Affleck, though.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
With all the talk there's been about this movie, you would think that it was coming out next year, but nope we are going to hear anout this until 2016 that can't be healthy. I'm probably going to be sick and tired by the movie long before it actually releases, i don't remember other movies getting so much press so long before release. With that said, i expect Ben Affleck to be good as Batman, i can easily see him pulling of an aging Batman.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
Personally think Michael Keaton would've made a better joker than batman, and Jack Nicholson would've been way better as two-face. For proof of Michael Keaton as joker, just re-watch Beetlejuice. I always had a hard time believing it was him in that role. And Jack Nicholson is so good at calm calculating and psycopathic outbursts.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
JenSeven said:
Going by the fact that every negative opinion was confirmed and even surpassed by the TMNT movie, I'm putting more stock in what the internet critics say.
Didn't they say similar things about Ledger as the Joker?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
JenSeven said:
Didn't they say similar things about Ledger as the Joker?
The thing there was that not only did he perform that character well, the writing, the music, the costume, the cinematography and his fellow cast members helped him shine. Its not always the guy in the role. It's the film too. Heath Ledger was always a very solid actor, but all the other elements made it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have zero problems with Ben Affleck as Batman. He has demonstrated himself to be a fine actor with a lot of range. I do not object to him being Batman. I do find the whole concept of this movie fundamentally broken. From what we know it makes little sense. What I have seen just seems needlessly grim. Ben Affleck doesn't seem to hurt this movie. Christopher Nolan, Zach Snyder, and David S Goyer on the other hand... they are going to kill this movie long before "Batfleck". Also, all the hatred towards Daredevil is just irrational. It doesn't lend itself to good reporting to keep attacking an actor for a movie from over a decade ago when he has since shown that he is in fact a good actor many times since then. I think this movie would actually be better if he was directing it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*shrugs*

honestly?

Ben seems like he'll be the best thing in the movie regardless of how well he pulls off Bruce Wyne

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:

Heh. I saw the original Batman movie in the cinema the summer before my senior year of high school. So YOU can get off MY lawn!!!
*shakes cane with fervor*

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I don't doubt that Affleck could make a good Batman. The real tragedy is that it will be distracting him from his directing, which I'd much rather see him doing :-/

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's true, why hate on Affleck when the movie has so many other things to hate? There's still time for them to reveal it will be a musical set in the mind of Joker during his most recent visit to Arkham. Although that actually sounds fun rather than the gritty grimdark affair we will most likely have paraded in front of us. Bruce Wayne is an orphan you know.