Check Out Destiny's New Live Action Trailer

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Check Out Destiny's New Live Action Trailer

Destiny's new live action trailer focuses less on gameplay and more on comradery.

Yesterday, Bungie teased [https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/507302209059848192] on their Twitter that a new something for Destiny was inbound. Today, that something arrived in the form of a live action trailer titled "Become Legend".

Directed by Tron: Legacy and Oblivion's Joseph Kosinski [http://www.josephkosinski.com/] and featuring Peter Dinklage, this trailer deviated slightly from the normal gameplay-centric or lore heavy video and instead simply focused on three players behind the guise of their Guardians gallivanting across the Solar System as they combat enemies and make quips at each other. The video showcased several locales in Destiny, such as the Moon, Venus, Mars, and others. Notable enemies like the Vex, Cabal, and Hive were also present.

Bungie has always been known for their live action trailers, from the extensive diorama in Halo 3's "Deliver Hope" [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZGGIdpfEM].

Source: Bungie.net [http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Live-Action-Trailer/en/News/News?aid=12089]

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
*fingers drumming*

Not trying to start even a flicker of a flame war but I've only followed the development of this game halfheartedly (as I don't have an XboxOne). For those more in the know, could you set me straight? Everyone is talking like this is the Next Big Thing, but all I keep seeing is Borderlands gameplay* gussied up in next gen graphics. Not that that'd be the worst thing, but am I missing something? Is it more like the next iteration of that idea (so same basic game with a couple differences that aren't just cosmetic) or is it somehow completely different?

Feel free to point me at articles or features I might've overlooked.

* I get that it's a different company making the game

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
To be honest, I dont think its deserved a "Next Big Thing" badge, but it is pretty enjoyable. A nice narrative coupled with some pretty exciting gameplay. I found the beta really enjoyable though the Gauntlet cinched it for me; the range of character customisation (in terms of abilities/performance) allows you to build a character to your style in the death-matches.

Some of the random encounters in the open world too are pretty ace: one time I was dicking around when I came across a low level player getting hassle from some mobs. I started helping him out when suddenly this big-ass cruiser flies in and starts dropping off squadrons of enemies that we had to kill within a certain time frame.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
*fingers drumming*

Not trying to start even a flicker of a flame war but I've only followed the development of this game halfheartedly (as I don't have an XboxOne). For those more in the know, could you set me straight? Everyone is talking like this is the Next Big Thing, but all I keep seeing is Borderlands gameplay* gussied up in next gen graphics. Not that that'd be the worst thing, but am I missing something? Is it more like the next iteration of that idea (so same basic game with a couple differences that aren't just cosmetic) or is it somehow completely different?

Kinda sorta ...

By the by, it's actually more favorable to get this on ps4 ... it's not an xbone exclusive.

anyway, it has a boat load of guns but it's not borderlands style. I never really played it that much but the guns seem more like Diablo/torchlight than borderlands.

It isn't cop-op the same as borderlands either, you can buddy up like an MMO and not just 4 of you in a borderlands game. You walk around and bump into people, you don't spawn with your little squad and nobody else enters.

It's more like planetside 2 without micro transactions and not as focused on competitive (PVP is a seperate thing, that turns co-op into Halo) play.

You basically walk around fighting mobs along the way to a mission marker, with a rare chance of a boss just appearing randomly (in a large open space) then you and local people can choose to fight it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well that was unexpected. I love the live action trailers that they had done for their Halo games, but this is nowhere near the tone of the actual game. It seems like they are following Call of Duty's example by making a trailer funny, but then having the game be all serious. Pick one, otherwise it seems like your marketing department has no idea what game you are actually making.

Otherwise, I am skeptical. I haven't really paid much attention to the game, at least since they announced that there was no PC port, but this was kinda disappointing.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Does anybody else feel like this was something of a tonal shift? I mean, all the media up until now has been serious-looking people in serious-looking full armor looking serious while they gaze out at the ruins of civilization... and now this.

No criticism, just wondering if anyone else felt this way or if maybe I was just reading into the previous stuff.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Does anybody else feel like this was something of a tonal shift? I mean, all the media up until now has been serious-looking people in serious-looking full armor looking serious while they gaze out at the ruins of civilization... and now this.

No criticism, just wondering if anyone else felt this way or if maybe I was just reading into the previous stuff.
Well, think about it this way: the earlier stuff was selling the setting and tone of the game. This video is selling what you can expect when you play. It is an MMO and a console shooter. It's not hard to expect lots of bros quipping at each other and snarking once this comes out.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Hype for this game is definitely clouding my vision. I usually dislike live action trailers for games, but I actually somewhat enjoyed that...

Quick! Someone tell me something bad about this game so that I won't have my hopes crushed when it's finally in my hands!

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
It's Borderlands trying to be serious which removes what makes Borderlands actually fun, then again Halo was hardly original.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Why does Venus now have tropical forests? I thought it was too close to the sun for any complex life.
The Traveler (the thing that gave the Guardians their powers, and what the Darkness is trying to destroy) did that to Venus. it pretty much made all of the planets in the solar system habitable.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
It's got Halo's stink all over it. Is the edgy, hip banter supposed to be their personalities? So generic and samey Bungie, but I guess it's best to stick with what you know, why innovate when you can regurgitate? A true console developer to the core.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Voice acting was fucking terrible in that. It sounded like the same people they used for the fake 'communication' in E3 gameplay demos.

I mean, maybe that was what they were going for, but was lame as hell.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Jak2364 said:
Hype for this game is definitely clouding my vision. I usually dislike live action trailers for games, but I actually somewhat enjoyed that...

Quick! Someone tell me something bad about this game so that I won't have my hopes crushed when it's finally in my hands!
Uhmmm, so what do you think about Bill Nighy? Cuz he's the second voice actor you interact with in the game, after Peter Dinklage of course.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Remus said:
Jak2364 said:

Uhmmm, so what do you think about Bill Nighy? Cuz he's the second voice actor you interact with in the game, after Peter Dinklage of course.
Wow, he's been in a bunch of stuff I've seen but I only now know his name. I liked his voice as the Speaker but everything else I've seen him in I haven't seen in a while so I don't really have an opinion on him. What do you think of him?

Peaceful Winter

Jun 7, 2014
Elijah Newton said:
*fingers drumming*

Destiny will also be on XBOX 360 and PS3 .

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
ron1n said:
Voice acting was fucking terrible in that. It sounded like the same people they used for the fake 'communication' in E3 gameplay demos.

I mean, maybe that was what they were going for, but was lame as hell.
Yeah its trying to sell you on how fun it'll be with your friends... but what they forget is that they need to sell me on the game first not sell me on how fun it is to play a game with friends. Me and my friends have no shortage multiplayer games to choose from if we want to play together why is yours special. Its a really expensive looking trailer that is trying to tap into the same vein that Guardians of the Galaxy did with its use of "classical music" (that made me roll my eyes so hard in a bad way). Peter Dinklage is fine of course but generic black dude, generic white male and the girl too group here is so cheesy (and again in a bad way).

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So. Much. Negativity. At this rate I might as well go back to /v/, seeing as the Escapist apparetnly isn't any less prone to hating fucking everything.

OT: I loved it. And its a good trailer for launch, because at this point I think most people have already made their judgments so showing gameplay or story is pointless, might as well pander to the people who are excited rather than pointlessly try to convert the "This is shit, Halo was shit, and you are shit for liking it" crowd. I'm gonna be preordering the Destiny+ white PS4 bundle later today, and the 9th can't come fast enough.