Will Arnett's Lego Batman Gets His Own Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Will Arnett's Lego Batman Gets His Own Movie

DARKNESS! NO PARENTS!

direct sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8771-The-Lego-Movie] and a Ninjago spin-off movie both in the works. Now, a third feature is in the works: A solo outing for Will Arnett's brooding Lego-version of Batman.

The announcement coincided with the not-as-happy news that the official Lego Movie sequel had been delayed from it's May 2017 release date. That film's director, Chris McKay, will instead take over a fast-tracked production for Lego Batman, with Lego franchise-overseers Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller also onboard. Arnett will reportedly reprise his role as the Caped Crusader, which satirized [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw] the "grim and gritty" Batman seen in the recent live-action films.

It is not confirmed whether or not the film will be connected (or make reference) to the Lego Batman direct-to-DVD movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lego%20batman] in 2012.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lego-batman-spinoff-movie-works-738631?utm_source=twitter]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Now will this be a full theatrical release or a straight to DVD affair? Dreamworks did the same thing when they made the Puss 'N Boots spinoff, and I don't think that quite warranted a full release either.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
Gonna go with bad idea and way to easy to go horribly wrong. This'll be like lifting Jack Sparrow out of Pirates of the Carribean. Funny as a side character, not good as the focus

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
if this is a full release then...its like mainstream has gone full meta

[sub/]whoa[/sub]

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
This is a weird coincidence because I just watched that movie for the first time last night. Out all of the characters, he was my favourite, along with Liam Neeson's Bad Cop/Good Cop. Call me crazy, but I am kind of keen for this idea.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Of all the brands to warrant a mega-franchise, Lego wouldn't be in dead last exactly, but it would definitely be somewhere between He-Man and Count Chocula. Yeah, it was pretty low. Not that I am complaining, the movie was good, but it is just so surreal that we are seriously talking about a Lego Movie franchise without immediately facepalming.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'd laugh if they fixed this into their Justice League universe XD

Fuck, they should make the entire JL movie-verse out of Lego! That would be awesome, and might even somehow compete with Marvel!

Considering how worrisome their actual JL-thing seems now...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well I'm excited. I loved Batman in The Lego Movie (and TLM in general) so I'm hoping this will be just as good. Could they direct-to-DVD it? I keep my eye on you.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I've been a fan of Lego for as long as I can remember, and the upsurge its had in popularity over the last few years has produced many things that I never even knew I wanted. Lego video games kinda made sense, because you still play with it, but the movie was like, "they're really going full bore on brand awareness here aren't they". Then I saw the trailer. Then I saw the film. Multiple times. A standalone Lego Batman film is something I want to see.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Vault101 said:

[sub/]whoa[/sub]
I would love it they have Superman in it as well, and basically ape the upcoming Batman Vs. Superman film before it even happens.

Unfortunately if that actually happened it would probably be a better movie than Bat V Supes.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Vault101 said:

[sub/]whoa[/sub]
I would love it they have Superman in it as well, and basically ape the upcoming Batman Vs. Superman film before it even happens.

Unfortunately if that actually happened it would probably be a better movie than Bat V Supes.
That would be hilarious. If anything, that's probably the best way to go, unless they're going to go full-on Lego Justice League.

As good as the Lego Movie was, though, I don't feel that it has much potential for becoming a franchise. You can't do that same dramatic reveal twice, after all.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Shodan1980 said:
Gonna go with bad idea and way to easy to go horribly wrong. This'll be like lifting Jack Sparrow out of Pirates of the Carribean. Funny as a side character, not good as the focus
Yeah, this gives me the same concerns as those side-character Star Wars movies that the rumour mills keep turning out (can't remember if any are actually confirmed or not), while Lego Batman was an amusing parody character I struggle to see him carrying an entire movie by himself. For similar examples, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 just felt like some stuff happened, without any real meaning or arc, whilst the Puss in Boots spin-off was disappointingly unmemorable and unfunny. Not a good record really.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Happiness Assassin said:
Of all the brands to warrant a mega-franchise, Lego wouldn't be in dead last exactly, but it would definitely be somewhere between He-Man and Count Chocula. Yeah, it was pretty low. Not that I am complaining, the movie was good, but it is just so surreal that we are seriously talking about a Lego Movie franchise without immediately facepalming.
I think it's because there's been so many dark and gritty movies (and shows/games etc) that people have jumped on the Lego movie and games since their the complete opposite. Something Hollywood and Game publishers need to learn is that people want variety, yes I love my Star Trek and Brooding batman but I also want to have a laugh with Shrek and Emmit when the mood.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I fucking love Will Arnett. Love hime to absolute bits. So if this is a good thing for him, then I'm happy, regardless of whether or not it's actually a good idea for a film.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Not sure if I'll enjoy an entire movie based around this character but I'm open-minded.