The Vaguely Familiar Evil Within

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
What also makes it non-frightening? When the back of the box gives away the twist!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
cpukill said:
Tag: Shit and Turkey Sandwich

Wat
It was the topic of one of their earlier(and highly memorable) comics.

Ah, memories.

OT: Is Erin such a common sight in these games that the monsters just know her on a first name basis? They seem very comfortable around her. :)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Scars Unseen said:
cpukill said:
Tag: Shit and Turkey Sandwich

Wat
It was the topic of one of their earlier(and highly memorable) comics.

HA! :D Ya got to love the classics.

Except for when it comes to and the Evil Within. At least in my case. It may be a call back to the classics, but from what I heard it's also kind of poorly designed. On purpose or not, it doesn't really matter when making it to the next part of the game seems to hinge on chance.

Plus, I haven't played the classics it's calling back to, so no nostalgia value in it for me anyway. :/

Good comic today though. :)

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I've been enjoying it so far. It's not exactly some big revolution in survival horror gaming. Gods no. But it definitely builds off of Mikami's earlier works in a fun way. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch to say so, but it is probably a better Resident Evil game than some of the latest entries in the series.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
It's a decent game, but to be honest, all I could really think of when I was playing it was how much I wanted to play RE4.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
gamegod25 said:
What also makes it non-frightening? When the back of the box gives away the twist!
Are you serious? I didn't know that!
Maybe he means the 'The main protagonist was crazy all along' trope? Not that I finished this pile of dung, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it pulled something like that. Other than that I can't see a spoiler on the back of my box, though maybe the non-European box art is vastly different.

OT: You know, I really wouldn't have mind the nostalgia and run-of-the-mill horror if the game itself didn't play like a dead three-legged dog.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, that pale with fist-bumping Chainsaw Dude made me smile. Erin seems the type to pet one of the mutated dogs.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
So, the game isn't scary then? I called that at the first trailer. Probably a good thing I forgot about it before I wound up buying it anyway.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
gamegod25 said:
Are you serious? I didn't know that!
Maybe he means the 'The main protagonist was crazy all along' trope? Not that I finished this pile of dung, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it pulled something like that. Other than that I can't see a spoiler on the back of my box, though maybe the non-European box art is vastly different.

OT: You know, I really wouldn't have mind the nostalgia and run-of-the-mill horror if the game itself didn't play like a dead three-legged dog.
Well I won't get any more specific just to be safe so not to spoil it for anyone. But even without looking at the box first I had pretty much guessed the twist from the start and then totally called it by the end of chapter three.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Good that I flipped the sleeve around almost immediately since it's got a pretty stylish alternate cover image of the other side.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fasckira said:
The last two panels went over my head, can anyone shed some light please?
Didn't get that either. Looks like another RE4 reference but I figured it had to mean something else because the premise is that we're going through Mikami's "greatest hits" and not strictly speaking "RE4 rip-offs" (since we already have Dr. Salvador...).

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
The game lasted for me a solid 15 hours on casual difficulty, While the game lacked in scares it made up with tension, the fact of 5 enemies in a room with you and you have to make a split decision if wasting that bullet in your 3 round only gun is worth the trouble, and the tension of not wanting to get spotted by the monstrous entities in the game.

The game had survival, something missing from the survival horror genre, ammo is limited, healing items are limited and sometimes its better just to hide and flee enemies than it is to even fight them, best part of this? Ammo is almost ineffective if you don't pull it off right, healing items heal you barely a 3rd of your health and so even if you do screw up, you're not going to get a second chance, more like half a chance to turn it around in the last minute.

While the game is also not scary, that doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the generic conventions of what horror is suppose to be, obviously we're not afraid, but Sebastian is definitely feeling the pangs of anxiety and fright through his torment in the game especially because, SPOILER PLOT RELATED INFO AHEAD:

He's essentially inside the mind of a maniacal lunatic Ruvik, an insane, nihilistic, selfish and insensitive monster who only wants to toy with human life, and the only way to escape is by his choice, the terrors in the world aren't made by Sebastian but the madness of a child, of Ruvik who had been tormented from getting his just deserts

With the generic conventions of horror displayed, that makes it part of the horror genre, just because it's a horror doesn't mean we have to be afraid, but the game itself, its characters are feeling this fear, especially with Joseph and Leslie.

Not only is it good at what it does, the combat may be slow and at times frustrating, but I would rather have it like that, every time I played, every time Sebastian missed a shot, I could understand it, In my head I took it as a sign of Sebastian's weakness, his fear, his anxiety, missing a shot is natural, if you ever shot a gun, you can feel just how missing a shot would be natural in a situation like that, of course, it's combat may slip up at times, that's a negative but no reason to slander the game completely.

Indeed, there is a ton of old Mikami references, some I laughed at, but I didn't laugh to slander it, I laughed because it brought back some really amazing memories of the man. Resident evil one reference at the second chapter had me in stitches from just remembering it, and how it was such a nod to the fans!

It's not a perfect game, but it's a great game, for 35 pounds, 5 less than any normal game on the market, you get 15 hours of tense survival. If you're one of those people who claim there was too much ammo, I beg of you to get the casual stick out of your head and at least try nightmare difficulty, I did it after I beat the game, and so far i've enjoyed so much more of the game, it is absolutely insane, you die so easily, your ammo depletes so fast, it's crazy! If you want survival horror, at least try for it. The game is difficult, it's visual style is pretty simple yet refreshing and even if Sebastian's backstory isn't the most original, it still makes him a great character, maybe not very memorable, but still worth a point or two!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
I admit, i'm a tad worn out of seeing chainsaw enemies in horror games. They're only there to make new players feel tense- while players who're familiar with Resident Evil, and other horror games... are just a bit tired of seeing this generic enemy type.

Least have him use a different kind of chainsaw maybe? Lol.
I'd like to see a flame-thrower enemy (or rather I'd hate to in reality, which is why I think it'd be perfect here). Just hearing the faint hissing of the pilot flame would have a terrifying psychological effect. If it had to be in blade form, something like the Shishkebab would work for me: