Buy The Witcher 3 and Get 16 Pieces of Free DLC

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Buy The Witcher 3 and Get 16 Pieces of Free DLC

CD Projekt RED's Marcin Iwinski has announced plans to give away 16 bits of free DLC to anyone who buys The Witcher 3, "regardless of platform."

One of Witcher developer CD Projekt RED's espoused beliefs is that gamers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126404-Witcher-3-Dev-Doesnt-Believe-in-Paid-DLC>shouldn't have to pay for downloadable content. When it comes to DLC, the studio has expressed on several occasions that charging customers extra for content is an act that should be reserved for "something really big" like a full fledged expansion. In turn, the developer has, on several occasions given gamers access to substantial chunks of free content.

It's a practice the company seems intent on continuing when it releases <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20witcher%203%20wild%20hunt>The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt next year. That, at least, is our takeaway from today's reveal that the simple act of purchasing the new game will give you immediate access to "16 specially prepared DLCs" that will be free <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134658-Witcher-3-Dev-Promises-No-Platform-Exclusive-Content>"regardless of platform." This DLC will launch in weekly bundles containing two pieces of content each and will start being distributed the day after The Witcher 3's February 24th release date. The first bundle will contain a special Temerian armor set and a beard and hairstyle set for the game's protagonist Geralt. The bundle following will contain an additional quest and an alternative appearance for the character Yennefer.

In a statement, CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwinski claimed that giving this kind of content away for free is just part of the company's efforts to treat gamers properly. "Every time we reach out for a new release, we expect to be taken care of," he said."We expect support if we encounter any problems, we love updates constantly improving the experience, and we feel really special when we receive free content that gives us more than we initially paid for." He would go on to say that this kind of treatment is "unfortunately" rare in the modern industry and expressed his belief that gamers shouldn't be expected to buy even more content when they "just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game." It's a sentiment that we feel confident saying a lot of gamers would probably agree with. What do you think? Are CD Projekt RED's actions admirable? Or do you think they'd be better off charging for DLC like most everyone else?

Source: <a href=http://thewitcher.com/news/view/867>The Witcher

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is why CD Project RED rules and Ubisoft drools! Others suck too, but Ubisoft's been a real drooling fuckin' idiot lately.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
See? It can be done, EA and Ubisoft etc. !!!

Trouble is; is the content first removed and the later given to you or is the content truly made after launch?
Still, I love these guys for being cool and laid back all the time. Never tried those games though.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Hubblignush said:
While msot people might think it's purely out of the goodness of their hearts, this is mainly to reduce used game sales and to give an incentive to buy the game fresh.

Anyway, don't care about that. Absolutely love the witcher 2, but since I'm not a complete total retarded dipshit I will actually wait and see what the general reception is before I buy it, if it's like the second one, i'll happily spend my money, but publicity stunts like these, while nice to see, won't ever convince me of preordering a game.
We are mssing a quote here.

As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free, regardless of platform. You don?t have to pre-order, you don?t have to buy any special edition to get them -- if you own a copy of Wild Hunt, they?re yours. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.?

I think that is important to note. True it doesn't specify if its a new game or not but given CD Red's history I think we can safely assume that isn't exclusive to new games.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Ah, but you seem to forget where CDP RED is from. Poland. Where piracy is very widespread. They say that this is their thank you for buying the game, and that's exactly what they mean, because in their (and mine, too) country half of the people would just pirate it. And they still will. And the DLCs too.

Do you remember when they said that there'll be no DRM on Witcher 2, because why bother, people will pirate it anyway? This is exactly the same thing, except here they'll actually giving you free stuff if you don't pirate it. Hooray.

Wouldn't classify it as a publicity stunt. These guys are gamers themselves, and like any decent human being, treat their customers the way they would like to be treated.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I've never had a favorite gaming studio... but I think these people are it... legit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I know that if this was EA or Ubisoft people would already be putting their tinfoil hats and saying that they cut content on purpose to then add as free DLC just look good.

But yeah, I do trust that this wasnt the case with CD Projekt RED, they always seemed to avoid messing around with the customer and are usually very upfront on their product.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Pre-ordered my copy the other day. I wanted the physical goodies, so I'm glad i'm getting this DLC too and they're not holding it to ransom like so many other companies. All this for a game my system might not be even able to run. CD Projekt are loyal to their customers, and I'm loyal to them. Love breeds love.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
So when certain publishers do this it's because they want to screw over used games and the like, when CD Project Red does it, it's because of the kindness of their hearts?

Myeah, right.

Can't say I care too much tho.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Fdzzaigl said:
So when certain publishers do this it's because they want to screw over used games and the like, when CD Project Red does it, it's because of the kindness of their hearts?

Myeah, right.

Can't say I care too much tho.
I agree, but its all about personal bias. I can't talk about many games for I don't buy a lot of DLC, but BioWare has microtransactions in their multiplayer so the primary DLC can be free, people will complain about how EA corrupted them or they make an announcement that they don't think a season pass would fit in their design methods and people say "its only because EA made them do it".

From the description of the content that will be free, its just going to be on the same level as "horse armor" and I never bought that content anyway for it never interests me.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
See? It can be done, EA and Ubisoft etc. !!!

Trouble is; is the content first removed and the later given to you or is the content truly made after launch?
Still, I love these guys for being cool and laid back all the time. Never tried those games though.
Also how much of this is going to be horse armour/weapon pack style dlcs. 16 Pieces of dlc is a lot to be announcing four months before a game is out. The first two being an armour set and beard/hair is not a very good start.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
josemlopes said:
I know that if this was EA or Ubisoft people would already be putting their tinfoil hats and saying that they cut content on purpose to then add as free DLC just look good.

But yeah, I do trust that this wasnt the case with CD Projekt RED, they always seemed to avoid messing around with the customer and are usually very upfront on their product.
I know right! Especially since EA are pretty much doing this (free DLC) everyone still hates on them anyway. I think Ubisoft and Activision are the ones who need to get their act together. EA is trying to win back people's trust recently (but the pit they dug themselves into is harder to get out of).

However, what I want to know is; how do CD Projekt RED make money? They have made 3 games and I don't remember Witcher 2 being on the level of Call of Duty sales. That engine they designed for Witcher 2 and now Witcher 3 would have cost millions! Are they self-published? Who has the deep pockets to afford what looks like a really expensive game? I am glad that they are truly 'gamer's first' but from a business side is it going to hurt them in the long run?

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
Nice, no microtransaction BS. Didn't really expect them to do that in the first place but its nice to see it spelled out.

Though... why 16 small bits and pieces of DLC? That stuff exists for the purpose of nickel and diming and often does not mesh as well with the rest of the game as larger, more complete content does. ('huh? why is this pile of overpowered weapons and armour in a box in the starting village?' ya know, that weird does-not-belong feeling)

Although since its free and the customer expects no instant gratification maybe they will end up in an actual interesting place...

This all does give that bread-and-games impression though. I like free food and fun as much as the next guy but dont you think I dont see what your doing there!.. *munch* mmm bread...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
pearcinator said:
josemlopes said:

I know right! Especially since EA are pretty much doing this (free DLC) everyone still hates on them anyway. I think Ubisoft and Activision are the ones who need to get their act together. EA is trying to win back people's trust recently (but the pit they dug themselves into is harder to get out of).

However, what I want to know is; how do CD Projekt RED make money? They have made 3 games and I don't remember Witcher 2 being on the level of Call of Duty sales. That engine they designed for Witcher 2 and now Witcher 3 would have cost millions! Are they self-published? Who has the deep pockets to afford what looks like a really expensive game? I am glad that they are truly 'gamer's first' but from a business side is it going to hurt them in the long run?
They own GOG.com
They have a healthy pool of riches to draw upon.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
pearcinator said:
The same way Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light was made:

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Denamic said:
They own GOG.com
They have a healthy pool of riches to draw upon.
Oh! I didn't know that. Things are starting to make sense now :) I found it kind of strange that they seemed to come out of nowhere making AAA games.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Hubblignush said:
While msot people might think it's purely out of the goodness of their hearts, this is mainly to reduce used game sales and to give an incentive to buy the game fresh.

Anyway, don't care about that. Absolutely love the witcher 2, but since I'm not a complete total retarded dipshit I will actually wait and see what the general reception is before I buy it, if it's like the second one, i'll happily spend my money, but publicity stunts like these, while nice to see, won't ever convince me of preordering a game.
I would do the same, but they gave me like 3 free games when I pre-ordered off gog and a discount for owning witcher 1 & 2, so I couldn't give them my money fast enough.