133: How to Be a Wizard

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
How to Be a Wizard

"In geocaching parlance, people who don't geocache are called "muggles," a reference from the Harry Potter novels to people who don't use magic. It's an apt allusion. The ability to walk into the woods and, in a matter of minutes, find a capsule no larger than your thumb must involve magic. And if you adhere to Clarke's law that advanced technology effectively is magic, then geocachers, tracking hidden objects using satellite locators, really are wizards."

Russ Pitts looks for tiny objects hidden in the woods, using only his wits, a sturdy pair of shoes and a GPS locator.

roger3

Jan 22, 2008
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

Just thought I'd point that out.

citation from http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/776.html

ArchAnemone

Sep 19, 2007
What a really cool article. Just wanted to point that out. ; )

Thanks for the adventurous read. : )

Edit to add: it will be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to make an MMO out of this...

NCGrimbo

Jan 22, 2008
Geocaching is one of the most addicting games I've ever played. And with over 3200 caches within 50 miles of Crabtree Valley Mall, Russ will never run out of little boxes to find.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Whoops. Never let it be said pedantism doesn't have it's place. The law I quoted is actually Clarke's as a few folks have now informed me. I was confusing it with the inverse ("Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."), which is also called "Niven's Law."

Looks like I'll never be a wizard now :(

Allen Varney

Jul 18, 2006
"Never let it be said pedantism doesn't have its place."

And to be completely self-referential, it's "pedantry"!

-- A Pedant

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
You know, for whatever reason, your writing style just draws me in like a fly to an electric lamp (because moth to a flame is not sufficiently technologically advanced to be indistinguisable from magic. Or is it the other way around? =3).

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Allen Varney said:
"Never let it be said pedantism doesn't have its place."

And to be completely self-referential, it's "pedantry"!

-- A Pedant
That was a trap I laid especially for you Allen. Glad you're still around even when you're not.

lorenzolio

Jan 9, 2008
Great article.
It accurately describes the mystique around geocaching and it reminds me of my first cache find. I especially liked the "invisible thread" imagery... how true!

Darkpen

Nov 26, 2006
....are you serious? I want to do this now D:

Maybe when that PSP accessory comes out...

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Byuuu. This actually sounds like something I'd really enjoy.
>_> What are my chances of finding geocaches in Australia though?

devilondemand

Dec 14, 2007
Niccolo said:
I thought that about where i lived, but i checked out the website and there were plenty! It seems like everyone has been doing this for ages, and they've hidden it from us Muggles rather well

Pirate Brahm

Jan 9, 2008
Been geocaching for almost 2 years. This hobby has introduced me to more places than I would have ever imagined. It has taken me down countless dirt roads in the Jersey Pine Barrens, on top of a skyscraper in New Orleans , in rock formations on beautiful beaches in Bermuda, a buried schooner, hidden corners of old San Juan, covered bridges, a burning town in Pennsylvania, and more.

For me, there is no greater adventure than geocaching.

(EDIT: If you'd like to review some of the above caches, my username on geocaching.com is demethos)

Gummy

Oct 24, 2007
devilondemand said:
Niccolo said:
I thought that about where i lived, but i checked out the website and there were plenty! It seems like everyone has been doing this for ages, and they've hidden it from us Muggles rather well
even in Perth? you know, the tiny remote city miles from civilisation

lorenzolio

Jan 9, 2008
Yes even in Perth. I just did a search on geocaching.com and it found 478 caches in and around Perth, Australia.

lorenzolio

Jan 9, 2008
The press page of geocaching.com has picked up Pitts' article. Too bad they accidentally linked to page #2.
http://www.geocaching.com/press/