Amazing Spider-Man Producers Seek Super Mario Bros Movie For Sony

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Amazing Spider-Man Producers Seek Super Mario Bros Movie For Sony

The team behind the Spider-Man reboot wants to bring gaming's most iconic hero back to the big screen

BuzzFeed Nintendo. [http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie]

While Arad later corrected BuzzFeed that the deal has not yet been closed and his negotiations with Nintendo are "just the beginning," he does not deny the rest of the report; which describes emails sent to Pascal featuring him in photos with Nintendo boss disasterous live-action Mario movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/satoru%20iwata?os=satoru+iwata] in 1993, but has seemed more open to the idea in recent years.

A businessman specializing in toys and animated TV programs, Arad rose to prominence as part of the team that took up rebuilding Marvel after it's 1996 bankruptcy. He left the company in 2006 to form his own studio financially troubled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134220-Spider-Man-Producer-Wants-Credit-for-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe] reboots of Spider-Man (to which he retained the movie rights) and movie spin-offs of the Bratz and Robosapien toy lines; with an animated Popeye feature set for 2016.

Source: BuzzFeed [http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
...Dangit! Should have waited for the official report. Now my thread looks stupid.

Anyways: Avi Arad? Sony Pictures? I'm...not to happy, to be honest. Hopefully it retains more of the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs quality and not...everything else...Oh goodness, please be good.

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
The first time I saw this news I got REALLY worried. BUT, this part does give me some hope

MovieBob said:
Further emails within the studio suggest that Arad has been pursuing the property for some time, with the eventual goal of creating an animated film franchise.
There's still hope for it as long as it stays animated. At the very least, it means Charles Martinet could get a good payday out of it.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Animated would be preferable I think, though I firmly believe that a live action version could work if the effects house responsible was talented enough. I think the Creature Shop could do amazing work in this regard.

what piques my interest here is the mention of a Popeye film as well. Last I'd heard of it was an animation test from Genndy Tartakovsky which looks like a lot of fun.

Full disclosure: I have a huge professional crush on Tartakovsky so...

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
Let's not jump to conclusions, just because Sony Pictures wants the film rights, doesn't mean Nintendo will sell them. Everyone's talking like they've already got them, but I hope Nintendo won't sell them simply because Sony Pictures is really bad at making movies, and apparently worse at keeping them secret with their shitty security systems.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Jeremy Dawkins said:
Let's not jump to conclusions, just because Sony Pictures wants the film rights, doesn't mean Nintendo will sell them. Everyone's talking like they've already got them, but I hope Nintendo won't sell them simply because Sony Pictures is really bad at making movies, and apparently worse at keeping them secret with their shitty security systems.
Seriously. Imagine if Sony got them. There probably wouldn't be another Mario movie even attempted within in my lifetime if it turns out as bad as the last one. See this is why Nintendo just needs to strike a movie deal with Disney. Sure Disney would be one step closer to ruling the world but there is so little faith in Sony's ability to make franchise characters work that there is not even a contract and people are shouting "NO!" already. I can only imagine how Moviebob is taking the news given his opinion on The Amazing Spider-man movies and his love Nintendo.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SPE must be pretty desperate if thats the idea they decided to pursue.

Though i would have some sort of bile interest in seeing what they would make of it.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
KazeAizen said:
Jeremy Dawkins said:
Seriously. Imagine if Sony got them. There probably wouldn't be another Mario movie even attempted within in my lifetime if it turns out as bad as the last one. See this is why Nintendo just needs to strike a movie deal with Disney. Sure Disney would be one step closer to ruling the world but there is so little faith in Sony's ability to make franchise characters work that there is not even a contract and people are shouting "NO!" already. I can only imagine how Moviebob is taking the news given his opinion on The Amazing Spider-man movies and his love Nintendo.
Well, given that he went to bed after hearing this and his tweet of the word "no" repeated ad infinitum, I'd say pretty poorly.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
You can always do limited film rights that turn off in 10 years, or 3 films or if X film dose not make X box office numbers.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
KazeAizen said:
Jeremy Dawkins said:
Bob's incessant hammering of Spider-Man and Nintendo leaves very little to the imagination.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I dunno if I want Sony to be the ones to make a Mario Movie, simply because Sony isn't that good at film making (I Mean, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was really because of the Directors/Writers then it was because of Sony, and while I have faith in the Popeye film, that'd be because of Tarkovsky, not Sony). I really wish that Nintendo would go to one of the Powerhouse studios (Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, even Warner Brothers) instead of Sony, because they would be 10x better then Sony ever would.

Plus, Sony films generally have this weird look to them that worked for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and will (hopefully) work with Popeye (Where the Models are really loose and fluid, the Mouths move all over the Characters face, and the characters are usually really skinny to the point of being pole people), but Mario would be really odd having this kind of animation. It's one of the reasons I don't really like Hotel Transylvania, because the animation just looks really jarring on those kind of characters.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The only way I can imagine this happening is if Nintendo's "Quality Of Life" Program becomes bigger than its gaming consoles. Without really wanting to throw Shigeru Miyamoto under the bus because Nintendo now has something else that may last another hundred years or so they instead offer to sell Miyamoto's franchises to Sony where Miyamoto will then agree to work.

Of course that will never happen.

Back to holding onto the dream that Nintendo buys Capcom and doesn't destroy a massive amount of Capcom's franchises in the process.

I'm looking at you Okami because Nintendo already has LoZ.
And you (most of) Street Fighter because SSB.
And you Viewtiful Joe because Mega Man might as well have killed you off once he was in SSB.
And you Games that rely on M Ratings because Nintendo doesn't know how to maintain an M Rated franchise.

Oddly enough Steel Battalion will become a major hit franchise with Nintendo once the (constant) robot control shaped recharging peripheral for Wii U's Touch Screen & Wiimotes are used for those Giant Robot Games.

Nintendo Make This Happen, Please!

vid87

May 17, 2010
Considering there are reports that the Japanese headquarters for Sony is also pissed at how Spiderman turned out, I doubt Nintendo would see that and decide handing over the rights to Mario would be a good idea.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
This is the only appropriate response. I need to find a way to turn this into a proper youtube video that's been extended a little...

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=5LD7NQSie6Y&p=n#/71;75

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I get the feeling Arad would end up disappointed considering how tightly Nintendo keeps ahold of their franchises. What's really funny is that ALL these leaked e-mails have made the obvious about Sony pretty much a fact: that they're an incompetent company hemorrhaging money with no end in sight and have no clue as to how to fix their problems. Sony Pictures in general just looks pathetic as I'm not reminded of businessmen, but a bunch of schoolyard idiots running around calling each other meanie-heads or something.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
MovieBob said:
The team behind the Spider-Man reboot wants to bring gaming's most iconic hero back to the big screen

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
My head hurts just trying to comprehend the levels of stupid this news means.

First, as much as I like Mario games, I really don't feel like they translate to film well (or at least not easily). It takes someone with a vast knowledge of games and a good cinematic eye to really pull this off without pissing off fans or alienating general audiences... which leads me to...

Second, I don't think the guys behind the Spiderman Reboot (ANYONE involved with it) have any actual talent for film making in general. Sure, Emma Stone is fine and some actors have done "okay" in other projects, but beyond that, every Spiderman reboot film thus far as made me just hate the franchise and Sony more. Not because it isn't the Sam Raimi series, but because there's a completely lack of understanding to who Peter Parker is and what Spiderman means/does to him as a character. Plus the designs for the villains makes me want to vomit (looking at you Green Goblin).

So you mean to tell me the people behind the god awful Spiderman films at Sony now want to bastardize Mario? I mean, Sony already said their going to fuck up Sonic on the big screen. SONY! STOP RUINING MY CHILDHOOD WITH YOUR HALF-BAKED IDEAS!

All that said, I could see this working fine if it was someone like Disney making the films. Not because Marvel. But because of films like Wreck-It Ralph showing they have an understanding (to a degree) on video games and translating them to film. On top of that, they've made films out of theme park rides (see Pirates of the Caribbean) leading me to believe so long as they keep good writers around, they can make a film based on just about anything. Sony? Not so much.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ummmmm..... no, I just don't think that is a good idea. Lets see how desperate Nintendo is for money I guess. I mean, it's like selling your soul. They will make a bad movie, then wait till the rights almost expire, make another bad movie... just don't do it.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I'm actually mostly fine with Avi Arad, so ... still no to that idea. Sony Pictures really needs some severe restructuring.