The Women of Marvel and DC Come to Life in Stunning Photo Project

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The Women of Marvel and DC Come to Life in Stunning Photo Project

Check out the gallery to see the beloved heroines and villains of your favorite comic books in stunning splash photography.

The new year is almost here, which means it's time to throw out your 2014 calendars and start anew. If superheroes, villains, and lovely ladies are your thing, the London-based AurumLight [http://aurumlight.com/] photography studio's Splash Heroes calendar might just be the way to ring in 2015. The stunning photos capture some of the most notorious women of the Marvel and DC universes with a dramatic paint-splash effect. The result is a series of photos, seen in the gallery below, that would look good on any comic fan's wall.

It's hard to say which of the bunch I like best. Power Girl is definitely a stand-out for me; it's something about those splashy boots and gloves (and the lack of a boob window is kind of nice). Elektra is dramatic and a little risque, and Batgirl is a vision in purple and yellow. The only major absence for me is Harley Quinn; other than that, it's hard to complain about AurumLight's choices for its 2015 calendar.

[gallery=3667]

You can order the Splash Heroes calendar here [http://blog.aurumlight.com/2014/12/01/aurumlight-2015-milk-calendar-splash-heroes-available-for-order/?utm_content=buffer0114e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer]. The limited-edition calendars will be sent out in early January.

Source: Talent House [https://www.talenthouse.com/articles/photographer-splash-heroes-uses-liquid-to-create-costumes?utm_content=buffere3263&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer]

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Well female comic characters already wear costumes so tight/form fitting they might as well be painted on...

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
gamegod25 said:
Well comic characters already wear costumes so tight/form fitting they might as well be painted on...
I fixed that for you. You are welcome.

Pretty creative and it looks cool. Still don't get comics though so I will pass...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
And oddly enough, Emma Frost is probably the most conservative work of the bunch. Funny that. Hey, is that Deborah Ann Woll as Venom?

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Not feeling the adoration. The effect is quite dramatic, but also kind of looks like a bad PS job in about half of the shots.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It shows how strong good character design in comics is that everyone is recognisable from a couple of shaped colours. (Particularly with Poison Ivy)

My favourite is probably Huntress

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Who is the first girl? Is she Raven? Because that's the only one I can think of to match her design, but Raven doesn't have wings.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Who is the first girl? Is she Raven? Because that's the only one I can think of to match her design, but Raven doesn't have wings.
My first guess was Storm but now I'm beginning to doubt myself.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
The result is a series of photos, seen in the gallery below, that would look good on any comic fan's wall.
Naked women having paint thrown over them? On my wall?

No thank you, I'm a grown up.

Also did the Escapist's reader base change substantially whilst I wasn't looking (aside from shrinking), did someone just not zoom in these photos or is this slightly unsuitable?

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
ForumSafari said:
The result is a series of photos, seen in the gallery below, that would look good on any comic fan's wall.
Naked women having paint thrown over them? On my wall?

No thank you, I'm a grown up.

Also did the Escapist's reader base change substantially whilst I wasn't looking (aside from shrinking), did someone just not zoom in these photos or is this slightly unsuitable?
A grown up can appreciate this for what it is.

Also, a covered nipple! Freak out now! Think of the childrens!

Unless I missed something, of course.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...'boob window' = BAD?
But...'ice cutter nipple' = GOOD?

I've been a fan of PG for some time, regardless of 'boob window'.
I'd say V2 was a rather good collection of stories.

I liked the whole 'she's smarter than Superman in that she knows you can't fight crime with your fists and win. Rather you need to target the SOURCE of most crime, poverty'.

And, she does that by founding a company whole goal it is to do that via tech.
:p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Rituro said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's what I thought, especially since she's black, but I don't recall Storm ever wearing purple or having wings like that. Of course, I'm not familiar with her outside of the 90s cartoon and the movies, so she might have changed her look in the comics?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Tanis said:
So...'boob window' = BAD?
But...'ice cutter nipple' = GOOD?
I'd say both are awesome.
I don't get the whole deal of "female nipples are bad" thing, especially knowing that most of us have sucked those
And some of us like to suck them few decades later again ;)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Rituro said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's what I thought, especially since she's black, but I don't recall Storm ever wearing purple or having wings like that. Of course, I'm not familiar with her outside of the 90s cartoon and the movies, so she might have changed her look in the comics?
Looks like they perhaps copied this a little, with some liberties, making the "cape" more winglike

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
PH3NOmenon said:

Oh don't be silly, I'm not exactly ashamed of pointing out in my posting history that I'm more a 4chan user than an Escapist poster, I'm certainly not afraid of tits on the Internet.

It's also a badly shot softcore set that reduces female characters to their tits and arse and every neckbeard I know would be ashamed to hang anywhere anyone else could see it.

It's just funny that the Escapist is both a site that caters to minors and so far up lolinternetfeminisms arse that it can go on and on about inappropriate character designs objectifying women and then stick this up. I'd say anything for the clicks but you know.

I'd say it says something negative about the Escapist editorial policy but to be honest the Escapist's current unofficial motto seems to be 'oh fuck where did our readership go' so I'd guess this is just more flailing.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
ForumSafari said:
It's just funny that the Escapist is both a site that caters to minors and so far up lolinternetfeminisms arse that it can go on and on about inappropriate character designs objectifying women and then stick this up. I'd say anything for the clicks but you know.

I'd say it says something negative about the Escapist editorial policy but to be honest the Escapist's current unofficial motto seems to be 'oh fuck where did our readership go' so I'd guess this is just more flailing.
Well someone's in a click-providing mood for the Escapist :p

Seriously, it's pretty in-line with Sarah LeBouef's 'alternate interpretation of X characters' articles and it's not exactly uber misogynstic or anything. Being feminist doesn't (always :p) mean hating on displays of beauty. And I dunno, like you don't seem outraged about this, so you're basically being outraged on someone else's behalf and then ticking them off for being outraged.

It's just pictures, and even within the pictures the women aren't posed subserviently or whatever. Tbh that's one of the tamer portrayals of Poison Ivy. It's not about women being under-represented in areas where they should be represented, it's not women being forced into very particular (and often lesser) characterisations (there's a pretty wide range of personalities here).

There are a lot of people out there who have problems with oggling and whatnot, but that's never really seemed like the particular ground the Escapist choose to fight it's feminism battles on.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
ForumSafari said:
PH3NOmenon said:

Oh don't be silly, I'm not exactly ashamed of pointing out in my posting history that I'm more a 4chan user than an Escapist poster, I'm certainly not afraid of tits on the Internet.

It's also a badly shot softcore set that reduces female characters to their tits and arse and every neckbeard I know would be ashamed to hang anywhere anyone else could see it.

How did it come to be that admiring a woman's form became a thing of derision? I find it pretty offensive that you'd think one would have to be some perverted mouth breather to appreciate those photos..

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
I really wish whoever was making these slide shows would do two things.

1) LABEL THE PICTURES. Make a description. Do SOMETHING to tell us who is in the picture being shown, or what is in the picture being shown. These ones aren't so bad for me because I know most of the characters, but some of the previous ones, like the Disney princesses dressing up as other characters, have little to no meaning for me because I don't know every one of them on sight.

2) Have a NON-SLIDESHOW option that doesn't involve scrolling through from side to side. For some reason that never works on my Android Tablet. Which is bloody annoying.