PSN And Xbox Live Are Experiencing Major Outages - Update 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PSN And Xbox Live Are Experiencing Major Outages - Update 2

Oh, you weren't planning on playing video games on Christmas, were you?

Update 2: Sony has now confirmed [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/27/playstation-network-update-3/] that the PlayStation network is now 100% operational again. Sony urges anyone still having issues to please reboot their consoles and try again.

Source: Sony [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/27/playstation-network-update-3/]

Update: It looks like Kim Dotcom, owner of MegaPrivacy, has reportedly offered Lizard Squad, the "hackers" responsible for the attacks on PSN and Xbox Live, 3,000 Lifetime accounts on Dotcom's encrypted upload service. Lizard Squad confirmed that the attacks had stopped [https://twitter.com/LizardMafia/status/548616435183140864], and from the looks of things, both services seem to be gradually returning to normal operation.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/548615664877830144]

Original Story: Christmas day is a very exciting day for children and adults alike, and for many of them, a brand-new console is what awaits them under the Christmas tree. You can imagine that the online networks of these consoles would be under quite a lot of stress today, and it looks like they have actually buckled under it, with reports flooding in that both PSN and Xbox Live are down.

The is limited [https://support.us.playstation.com/]. Microsoft responded to the outage with the following statement:

"We are aware some users are unable to sign in to Xbox Live. Our teams are working to resolve the issue. Please visit xbox.com/support for status updates."

Sony offered similar sentiments:

"We are aware that some users are experiencing difficulty logging into the PSN. We will update this article with any changes that occur in regards to this issue. Thank you for your patience."

Now before you pull out your torches and pitchforks and attack Sony and Microsoft for "not being prepared for the Christmas rush," a group calling itself Lizard Squad [https://twitter.com/fuckcrucifix] on Twitter is taking responsibility for the attacks, which likely result from inundating and overloading the networks with traffic.

It should be noted that at this stage, Sony and Microsoft claim that no personal information has been compromised.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/psn-and-xbox-live-taken-down-for-christmas/1100-6424403/]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
The Lizard Squad guys again? Really? At this point I'm not even mad, I'm just exasperated. "Oh dear lord, the rowdy kids from down the street have put a ball through my window for the one hundred and eighty seventh time. Sigh." Why are they doing this? I doubt they are even trolls at this point, because I doubt that enough people are reacting with enough outrage to satisfy them if they were.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So that's why Far Cry 4's multiplayer wasn't working.

Really this is just getting exasperating.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You know who doesn't have these issues? That's right. The Master Race. The very same these hacker idiots probably belong to.
To be honest, nothing like this ever happens to Nintendo either as far as I'm aware. And Wii U is a nice system.

I'm totally in favor of punishing these guys for doing this. But most of them are probably too immature to realize the severity of what they're doing in the eyes of the businessmen running these companies. I don't want them to get more than a year in prison or a hefty fine, but the reality is that for this, they can get some serious jail time when they catch them.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
*sigh* so much sabotage in the news these days. makes me wanna sing.

*ahem*

Makin' your way on the net today takes everything you got-
Finding a way to escape the DDos sure would help a lot-
wouldn't it be real great to get away?
to a place where every data packet is treated the same.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
You know who doesn't have these issues? That's right. The Master Race. The very same these hacker idiots probably belong to.
To be honest, nothing like this ever happens to Nintendo either as far as I'm aware. And Wii U is a nice system.
confirmed, nintendo is the second master race because despite being the last company to get into internet stuff, their shit works nearly all the time with barely a handful of bad marks XD enjoyin some Metroid Prime Echoes on the prime trilogy and had no issues XD

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
*sigh*
Once again pointless hacking to at worst inconvenience customers occurs again.
This is honestly becoming just a pointless activity that is losing its shock value. We all just go "sigh, it happened again?"
And that's it. We just get to sit back while these people show off thinking there really hot $#!% and think their auditioning for some sort of white-hat job for the government. Tools!

Plus I just got a PS4. Those bastards.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
But most of them are probably too immature to realize the severity of what they're doing in the eyes of the businessmen running these companies.
I'd argue it's not just the businessmen. It's the families that purchased consoles for their children or for the entire family. It's people in long-distance relationships who use these services to talk to each other and use them to spend time together in the only way they can for the time being (I personally know a couple who do this through XBL while they're currently in two different countries). It's the single parents who scraped together enough money to give their kids what they wanted the most for Christmas.

It's so much more than the businessmen that Lizard Fuckers are fucking with.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I'd argue it's not just the businessmen. It's the families that purchased consoles for their children or for the entire family.
It gets even worse for some. For example, my mother's friend has a son who is permanently wheelchair bound, and he was finally able to come home for Christmas, where he wanted to play on Xbox Live with some of his friends. Now because of Lizard Squad, he can't do that.
Sad thing is, some of these people who do this probably believe that they are indeed "doing the right thing" and are "showing those console manufacturers what for."

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It's pretty disgusting. All some people want to do is relax and play some games. Whether they just got themselves a new system or game, or if they just want to spend their time off from work playing with their friends, to suddenly cut them off in the name of whateverthefucktheywant is just a horrible thing to do.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Neronium said:
It gets even worse for some. For example, my mother's friend has a son who is permanently wheelchair bound, and he was finally able to come home for Christmas, where he wanted to play on Xbox Live with some of his friends. Now because of Lizard Squad, he can't do that.
Sad thing is, some of these people who do this probably believe that they are indeed "doing the right thing" and are "showing those console manufacturers what for."
I was speaking in generalities when I wrote my post, and so I thank you sincerely for sharing a personal story about this issue. Even if these LZ idiots had a specific message in mind for these attacks, they couldn't possibly find a worse way to spread it. Pissing people off is NOT the way to accomplish anything unless, of course, your goal is to get the people to hate you en masse.

However, LZ stated earlier this month that these attacks are simply "for the lulz," which makes their villainy a million times worse.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Glorious PC Gaming Master Race reporting in. We and our Nintendo brethren offer our deepest condolences.

Also didn't Anonymous threaten to ruin Lizard Squad's lives if they pulled this?

If so we might be in for a bit of a show.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
No matter what people say who preform these DDoS attacks say, they aren't doing this for the average customer or even trying to protect them, all they are doing is feeding off the frustration and anger they are generating.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
josh4president said:
Glorious PC Gaming Master Race reporting in. We and our Nintendo brethren offer our deepest condolences.

Also didn't Anonymous threaten to ruin Lizard Squad's lives if they pulled this?

If so we might be in for a bit of a show.

oh please anonymous please tell me the names of these guys and tell me they live in my state. Trust me justice up here is swift and complete.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, that's a pretty big dick move. Especially considering damn near all games these days need day-one patches.

Adam Jensen said:

I'm totally in favor of punishing these guys for doing this. But most of them are probably too immature to realize the severity of what they're doing in the eyes of the businessmen running these companies. I don't want them to get more than a year in prison or a hefty fine, but the reality is that for this, they can get some serious jail time when they catch them.
Yeah Wii U's network is working just fine. Been playing Mario Kart 8 all day. Good times.

But hey, at least they can still play their single-player games. Games that require big day-one patches to not be buggy piles of crap.

Hm...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Adam Jensen said:

Probably cause Nintendo doesn't rely on their network for 'everything' like Sony and Microsoft do. It's a thing that exist but losing it isn't nearly as crippling for them as it is for the other two. So it'd be kinda pointless.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Neronium said:
I doubt that as there simply isn't anything to respond with to use as an excuse.
Lizard squad if I recall already pretty much confirmed they are doing this because they are big PC marks you'd find on places like Pcmasterace and the like. Basically a bunch of fanboy kids taking it all very serious, no grand cause as far as I can see... quite sad really. One thing to say the usual stupid Platform wars crap on the internet, its quite another to actually "fight" the war in RL.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I only had one problem trying to sign in last night and had no trouble online except for Halo (but that might not be the hackers' doing). Guess I was just lucky or, being in Australia, we beat the hackers by being ~14 hours ahead of East coast US.

EDIT - Yeah. Experiencing problems now. I can connect to live, but can't access anything. Pins, cloud saves or online.

Seriously though, if they get caught and slapped on the wrist, I'll be annoyed. Juvie if they're under adult age or prison. Give them time to think about it.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Huh, and here I was thinking it was system overload. Shame, I just got a Vita and wanted to check out the digital games. And I guess this means I can't expect the network to function tomorrow either, huh? Ah, well.

Hope all this gets resolved soon. These Lizard guys sounds like a bunch of chodes.