PSN And Xbox Live Are Experiencing Major Outages - Update 2

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
You know who doesn't have these issues? That's right. The Master Race. The very same these hacker idiots probably belong to.
To be honest, nothing like this ever happens to Nintendo either as far as I'm aware. And Wii U is a nice system.

I'm totally in favor of punishing these guys for doing this. But most of them are probably too immature to realize the severity of what they're doing in the eyes of the businessmen running these companies. I don't want them to get more than a year in prison or a hefty fine, but the reality is that for this, they can get some serious jail time when they catch them.

Federal laws were broken by attack PSN and MSN , which falls under interference of trade or "International Trade Act "in the US. Secondly they called in a threat on a flight which in turn falls not only under U.S Federal offence but also Homeland Security. Lastly if that flight had any international residence on board than they will be facing laws against them from those respective countries.

In line with their actions though it seems these guys are probably located in Russia as their attacks only started up when the west started to publicly talk about the first row of sanctions against Russia.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Johnny Novgorod said:
I purchased some DLC off PSN about an hour ago so The Hackening is officially over.
Phew. I got Destiny for PS4 and couldn't even try it. I got a Playstation TV with download of Lego Movie Game and couldn't get it either.

Grinches.

small

Aug 5, 2014
some evidence on twitter that kim dot com bribed them with 3000 premium accounts to stop as well.

while this doesnt effect me at all, i hope they do catch and prosecute them. its a shitty thing to do at the best of times let alone this time of year

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Well, I'll take solace in the fact that these script kiddies will probably be found out pretty soon. Remember Lulz sec? They did basically the same sort of shit, and then when they got arrested they were revealed as the cowardly little fucks they clearly were, hiding behind their "anonimity".

Lizard Squad will probably end up the same. At least one member will have left a trace somewhere, get caught and then he'll rat out his buddies in a plea deal.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I can understand some frustrations from gamers, but I really feel bad to the employees at Sony and Microsoft. Some of them are working on this shit instead of having a day off and enjoying family time.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Good thing I don't even bother with multiplayer focused games on consoles then.

Also do some people want to imply they're nazis or do they not know where the term "master race" came from...?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
You know who doesn't have these issues? That's right. The Master Race. The very same these hacker idiots probably belong to.
Two points

1). Try buying anything on the first day of a Steam Sale and watch as Steam fails because it's services are overloaded, that's dealing with actual customers before you take in to account the actions of anyone who is trying maliciously to disrupt services.

2). These idiot hackers are many things but part of this mythical 'master race', no maybe part of a race of slime dwelling fecial matter that is barely worth being scrapped off the bottom of a dog's arse. and that's me being particularly nice in my description of them

From what I understand its just advertising. They sell their services to people and people know if they can take down Xbox Live they can take down most things.
Really, if they had hacked in to XBox Live and gotten a bunch of details then yeah perhaps we are talking talent, DDosing it and causing it to fail due to traffic overload, a fucking chimp could do that. It would be like paying someone to fix your car because you saw them open the door, with the key, without falling over more than twice.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Still can't log in for Destiny on PS4. Dang it.

I hear this is some Twittter person rather than North Korea. May they reap what they sow.

EDIT: Mmm hmm. http://us.playstation.com/maintenance/

adsixx

Aug 24, 2014
I wake up to find fricken Lizards acting like the angsty 'pay attention to meeee!!1!1!!' morons from last time they got really into their lulz-fest. To the few PC only gamers in here pulling the 'we're godlike gamers', don't forget these are the ones that claimed to have been taking down MMOs a handful of months back with Eve Online being one of the first test victims before other online games, battle.net, PSN, and XBL. That round came to an end with the website for the ALS charity knocked out of commission along with a passenger plane parked on the tarmac and given a serious inspection which popped this into national news outside gaming sites.

Master Race? Only if your last name is Belmont and you have a direct bloodline to Trevor! Not just for clicking a mouse and beating up a keyboard instead of mashing buttons on a console game controller.

This time around I hear it on my talk radio first as I wake up. The political AM talk radio station that starts my wakeup sequence had this as a lead-in for the hourly report.

Now they know their stage for an 'audience' starts much larger than before when it was just gamers shrieking at their game's server hamsters. Whoever is doing this garbage, whether it's Lizards, copycats, or a third party that's letting others take credit, the ego just got well fed. Personal prediction, until caught and facing legal prosecution this won't be over for long. Lulz can get addictive.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Reporting in from Ohio. PSN is still down, which sucks because I have a $50 PSN giftcard that's burning a hole in my wallet.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Right, hopefully after I've watched The Avengers it will have stopped affecting my part of the country, though some texts have been telling me otherwise. Don't you fuck up my night of Alien: Isolation assholes! You've already wrecked a bunch of people's Christmases.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Hope this gets fixed soon. I rather not play The Presequel without active hotfixes.
Hell, I was even on the point of trading some items untill I found out about this.

Blergh, this is annoying...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Supposedly, the attack is over, but PSN is still down. I hear it's due to the attack and this is just left overs, but I would like to know an ETA on when it will be back up. Before it was mildly annoying, but didn't affect me too much personally. I was more annoyed as it affected children, as well as those who were looking to use the networks to play with family and friends they couldn't see (like service members who are deployed). Now, it's just gone on too fucking long. And any joke taken too far stops being funny.

mruuh

Jun 29, 2012
And apparently, nobody is angry at all those thousands of morons who are unable to secure their internet-facing PCs, and are strengthening the botnets...

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Saltyk said:
Supposedly, the attack is over, but PSN is still down.
What 'attack' and no it isn't; I've had PSN since yesterday and still do. It logged me out once, in the morning, and I simply attributed that to 'the Christmas rush'.

You guys are being trolled and you're falling for it brilliantly.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Reed Spacer said:
Saltyk said:
What 'attack' and no it isn't; I've had PSN since yesterday and still do. It logged me out once, in the morning, and I simply attributed that to 'the Christmas rush'.

Words fail me. You're either channeling a B movie from 1990 or haven't a clue how these things work.

I haven't been able to log in for 24 hours. I got on yesterday morning, but since I got home from the Holidays, it's been offline. Even the official site states that PSN is offline. The Playstation Twitter has stated that it is offline. I've read other forums where people have stated what regions are offline.

Your region may be online. But several others aren't. Including mine. Perhaps you're lucky in that regard. Or maybe you're lying to mess with others. I don't know or care.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
hmm... i must have missed it all. I had no problem with going on PSN yesterday, though I didn't have a chance to get on until later in the night (approx. 8-9pm)

was there a point to the hacking? or they did it just because they could?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Saltyk said:
Reed Spacer said:
Saltyk said:

Words fail me. You're either channeling a B movie from 1990 or haven't a clue how these things work.

I haven't been able to log in for 24 hours. I got on yesterday morning, but since I got home from the Holidays, it's been offline. Even the official site states that PSN is offline. The Playstation Twitter has stated that it is offline. I've read other forums where people have stated what regions are offline.

Your region may be online. But several others aren't. Including mine. Perhaps you're lucky in that regard. Or maybe you're lying to mess with others. I don't know or care.
If the network had been taken down, wouldn't the problem be universal?

And if by 'not knowing how these things work' you're referring to hacking, that's almost literally a complement.

And don't insinuate that I'm a liar; I haven't spat in your face today.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
If companies can't guarantee a service, they shouldn't market products that depend on its presence. Not being able to use software I purchased because it requires access to an online service is absolute bullsh!t.

Was going to take advantage of the day off to experiment with a new character build in DA:I, but I guess now I'll just watch The Interview on youtube and knock out a couple of last gen games I never got around to beating.

I would like to see a "gamer strike."

In January, coordinate a one day game buy strike. Nobody buys games on a given day, instead send emails to your favorite or most hated developers saying "We're tired of the abuse. There will be buyer strikes every month until online drm is abolished."

In February, two game buy strike days, same email.

March, four...

April, eight...

etc.