136: Flashback

Jeivar

Jan 26, 2015
Ah, my favourite kind of character: An archetype, but with a backstory that explains it, instead of just lazily going "Yeah, she's Character Type #6", and leaving it at that.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
"Differences give rise to fear.
Fear begets shame.
Shame gives rise to hatred.
Hatred leads to suffering.
Suffering causes more hatred.
Hatred leads to the dark side."

I see nothing wrong with the healer knowing how to fight. Better DPS when no-one needs healing

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
*****, you can cast Phoenix! That's one of the best spells in the game. Get over there and resurrect Sword Guy.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The Red, sorry, Sepia-headed stepchild then.
Much trope... wondering where it will lead.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Huh, wasn't expecting that. Still, I'm legitimately curious to see where we go from here...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ahhh, and here's the part where we get to find out that FlutterElf is a special snowflake!

JCAll said:
*****, you can cast Phoenix! That's one of the best spells in the game. Get over there and resurrect Sword Guy.
^This. Seriously, you're raised by a society of healers and your "spirit animal" - for lack of a better term - is the metaphor for rebirth/resurrection.

For those that may be unfamiliar/may have forgotten: traditionally in FF games, the Phoenix summon rezzes all currently downed party members. In some games it even gives the re-rezz buff that instantly revives people once they're downed.

Pinky just needs to UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Waah waah waah..they were frightened of me because I was different. *****, you were lighting shit on fire. Don't act all put upon when you where gleefully burning crap. I'd be concerned, too.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
As others mentioned, Phoenixes are known for resurrection. Get that thing to rez Sloud Ctrife (kuh-trife).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
"B-b-but I like multi-classing..."

Says the 6th level Fighter, 1st level Rogue, 1st level Paladin. I swear I can explain.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
inb4 the next 5 chapters are an exposition dump before pink gets 1 cool moment right at the end of this arc

also bring gunny back
he's the only character I care about

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Holy shit! Who here has been talking about those red eyes all along? Yeah. Somebody knew there was a little fire mage in her. She was the Broot (Omega Men) from her society of healers. She is now the outcast savior of this arc.

Also, I see the bauble on her belt featured prominently in the stained-glass window. She is clearly some sort of chosen one. It is no doubt some form of healing energy seal/damper that she has promised to carry her whole life to keep her hidden god-like flame-striking powers contained. When she has this flashback in the distant future, she will abandon her healing roots, discard the bauble, and achieve her true potential as a fire mage that saves the day.

Come to think of it, the phoenix resurrection ability makes a lot more sense than the fire thing. That gets Erin and NotCloud back up to complete this story. Forget all that fire mage stuff.

Also, the bauble looks like a circle about 3ft above a the half-dead Robocop/knight, so Half Life 3 confirmed.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Cowabungaa said:
"B-b-but I like multi-classing..."

Says the 6th level Fighter, 1st level Rogue, 1st level Paladin. I swear I can explain.
Depending on the version that is not that bad.