Metroid Prime Producer Expected Negative Reaction to Federation Force

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Metroid Prime Producer Expected Negative Reaction to Federation Force

In a recent interview, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe revealed that he "expected that people would sort of act in a negative way" when they learned that Samus wouldn't be an actual player.

Canadian Gaming Magazine (CGM) recently interviewed [http://www.cgmagonline.com/articles/the-future-of-metroid-prime/] Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe about Metroid Prime: Federation Force and its place in the franchise. Tanabe stated that he anticipated the negative fan reaction to the title.

"First off, I had in mind and expected that people would sort of act in a negative way when they find out that Samus was not an actual player," Tanabe said. "What I see happening is that once the players can actually have hands-on experience with the actual game, they'll be able to understand and experience for themselves how the game actually feels and that the Metroid Prime universe atmosphere is there, and the music that is used in the game is also heavily related to the Prime series of course so while people would at first say, "oh this isn't what I expected," they'll definitely understand the different perspective that we're taking here and it'll certainly make a difference once you get some experience with the game."

Tanabe also stated that Federation Force "works in a similar way to the Avengers" by bringing together individual established characters.

At E3, Tanube told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx] that the next proper Metroid Prime title would "likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," as it would "likely take three years or so" to create one for Wii U.

Fans were shocked when Federation Force was revealed, with a change.org petition [https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force] calling for its cancellation garnering over 22,000 signatures.

Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime addressed the disappointment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141412-Nintendo-Exec-Addresses-Disappointment-Over-Metroid-Prime-Federation-Force] over Federation Force last month, stating that he felt it was necessary to transform IPs in order to make them new again, as well as asking fans to trust Nintendo.

"What the fan at home saw was something in the Metroid Prime universe that they weren't expecting. The reaction has been negative. There's no sugar coating it," Fils-Aime said. "This is an example where fans who aren't able to get their hands on the game may be at a bit of a competitive disadvantage. Everyone who has played what we are showing regarding Metroid Prime, they've come across really pleased. My ask is that fans trust us."

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is scheduled for release in 2016.

[Source: CGM [http://www.cgmagonline.com/articles/the-future-of-metroid-prime/]]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I guess my response would be A) fucking duh! and B) Does Nintendo really deserve our trust?

Splatoon was the best thing they've done in like...5 or 6 years.
And any company that looks at a badass like Samus, at the producer of her most popular and arguably Nintendo's most beloved franchise(maybe behind Pokemon...) and says "Nah, fans are tired of gritty and fun Metroid Prime games. What they really want is chibbi soccer for 5 year olds so we can sell even more Amiibos."
Yay...not sure that company knows what its doing.

$10 bucks says whatever space soccer ball is used in the game gets a $15 Amiibo.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
At E3, Tanube told Eurogamer that the next proper Metroid Prime title would "likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," as it would "likely take three years or so" to create one for Wii U.
The thing that caught my eye is that Nintendo has just admitted they never planned on making a Metroid game for Wii U. I'm kinda mad now.

Bindal said:
Honestly, they should have dropped just the "Prime" from the title.
They probably should have dropped the Metroid part from the title as well.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I wonder how many people are actually going to get their hands on this disappointing mess. I don't have any friends with a 3DS so this game is already not gonna happen for me... it doesn't help that I absolutely love Metroid (even Other M was a great Metroid game if you got rid of that trash story) and this doesn't seem like a Metroid game to me. And... I don't really trust Nintendo. They are barely even supporting the Wii U. The few games I have I love completely, but why should anyone else care about it when they don't care about it.

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
It's not that we can't play as Samus, even though she is a mainstay of the series. The problem is it deviates so far from what anyone expects or wants from a Metroid game that it SHOULDN'T BE CALLED A METROID GAME. They could have spent the hour it would take to come up with a silly stylized universe that fit the sci-fi sports theme they are using here. This is as much of an actual Metroid game as the fucking pinball spinoff. We go to Metroid for intensely atmospheric exploration games with tons of secrets to find. We play Metroid for a speedrunning challenge. We don't go to Metroid for some sci-fi soccer simulator. We have Rocket League for that, which is leagues better than whatever the hell this is.

I'M JUST A LITTLE BIT ANGRY THERE HASN'T BEEN A REAL METROID GAME SINCE CORRUPTION OK

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Bindal said:
Honestly, they should have dropped just the "Prime" from the title.
\

They could keep the prime if what you where playing where actual characters from the metroid universe that are relevant to the story.
If you could play as gandrayday, Rundas or Sylux then yeah AWESOME. but no its like the people you see in the trailer are fucking steve and joe random ass fed soldiers.

Metroid prime Hunters 2 is what they should have made, a metroid game in the metroid universe about metroid characters doing metroid things. Not a metroid game in the metroid universe about background characters doing background character things.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Louzerman102 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
At E3, Tanube told Eurogamer that the next proper Metroid Prime title would "likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," as it would "likely take three years or so" to create one for Wii U.
Yeah..... I saw that part too. Now if you'll excuse me...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
And any company that looks at a badass like Samus, at the producer of her most popular and arguably Nintendo's most beloved franchise(maybe behind Pokemon...) and says "Nah, fans are tired of gritty and fun Metroid Prime games. What they really want is chibbi soccer for 5 year olds so we can sell even more Amiibos."
Well, from what I've heard Metroid isn't that popular. Sure, it is among the hardcore fans, but compared to Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and probably even Kirby, Metroid really doesn't pull in any heavy numbers. Apparently Japan doesn't even give a shit about Metroid. This is likely why they went for the chibi style, to appeal to a younger audience.

This may just be a case of Nintendo throwing the very loyal, very hardcore, but very limited (by comparison) fanbase under the bus for the sake of a wider market.

EDIT: And heck, that hardcore fanbase, no matter how pissed they are now, will still probably end up buying it anyway.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Well, from what I've heard Metroid isn't that popular. Sure, it is among the hardcore fans, but compared to Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and probably even Kirby, Metroid really doesn't pull in any heavy numbers. Apparently Japan doesn't even give a shit about Metroid. This is likely why they went for the chibi style, to appeal to a younger audience.

This may just be a case of Nintendo throwing the very loyal, very hardcore, but very limited (by comparison) fanbase under the bus for the sake of a wider market.
sadly this is probably true as you can tell from the modern metroid that was the most Japanese being the most hated one. Yes im talking about other M. That game was based around the story of a manga written to expand on samus' background.

They made her out to be frail thus being more appealing to a Japanese male audience. Sadly team ninja made a game around this story and it was probably the worst thing that ever happened to this series as a whole. Most people don't even consider other M as cannon.

And also that metroid prime 1 through 3 all feel very western even to the point as to how the enemies look and the fact that in one of them you are even straight up ripping off the start of halo.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Silentpony said:

EDIT: And heck, that hardcore fanbase, no matter how pissed they are now, will still probably end up buying it anyway.
That's still millions of people that would buy a new Metroid game, nothing short of stupid to not take advantage of that.

Yeah that ain't freaking happening. I am not going to have anything to do with this. Not only doesn't it have nothing to do with Metroid, depriving me of any desire to buy it, it commits the most horrible sin a game can do.

It looks boring.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Expecting it doesn't change anything first of all, number 2 people aren't upset that we can't play as Samus, we are upset because the game looks really boring and stupid, not to mention the graphics are well, blocky, and don't even try to pull that "Oh it's a retro style" that "style" has been done to death by indie games and nintendo can do better

That and we haven't gotten a proper metroid prime game since when? Oh yeah the Wii... I am sick of nintendo's attitude of "yeah remember the Wii U? Let's just kind of forget that happened HERE IS OUR NEW CONSOLE PLEASE BUY IT!" I think fans that bought into the Wii U deserve a proper metroid game on the platform... If nintendo wants to make this game, fine, but don't patronize your fans and demand they trust you because "U haven't even played it yet guyz!"

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
erttheking said:
It looks boring.
This is my biggest issue, it could have been a sequel to hunters. it could have been nice deviation from form but with origins characters ideas and better looking graphically. The original metroid prime hunters looks so much better than this right now.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Correct me if im wrong... but isnt it a bit dishonest to say that people react negatively because samus isnt it it?

People reacted negatively because this game has nothing to do with the metroid series... its some weird mix of shooter / sportsgame with silly SD graphics.

Again... they just slapped the metroid name on for brand recognition and people HATE it when you do that. People hated it when they did it with that awfull shooter X-com and they hate it here now.

Because everyone can see that they simply slap the name of a beloved franchise onto a sub par game in the hopes of boosting its sales...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
erttheking said:
That's still millions of people that would buy a new Metroid game, nothing short of stupid to not take advantage of that.
Are there any hard numbers on that? Because (again this is only hearsay) apparently the sales figures for the entire Metroid franchise amounts to about 8 million. That's... not much (if true). A single game today is expected to move half that amount at least. A Triple-A budget Metroid game in today's industry selling only 2 million worldwide would be a disaster. And Nintendo is already floundering with the Wii-U to the point where they're just gonna "Dreamcast" it.

This new game feels like Nintendo is covering their bases. Make it look chibi-esque to appeal to the kiddies, and bring it out on the 3DS; The system that actually sells.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
You know what I would have done in their position: I would have reworked it into an original title not attached to another franchise. OR I would have called it "codename steamforce" or something like that.
Because if it was another new franchise on the heels of Splatoon it would shut up the hordes of people saying that Nintendo only ever retreads the same games every console generation.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
erttheking said:
Are there any hard numbers on that? Because (again this is only hearsay) apparently the sales figures for the entire Metroid franchise amounts to about 8 million. That's... not much (if true). A single game today is expected to move half that amount at least. A Triple-A budget Metroid game in today's industry selling only 2 million worldwide would be a disaster. And Nintendo is already floundering with the Wii-U to the point where they're just gonna "Dreamcast" it.

This new game feels like Nintendo is covering their bases. Make it look chibi-esque to appeal to the kiddies, and bring it out on the 3DS; The system that actually sells.
Every Metroid Prime game got a million sales each, with the first Prime game managing to rack up nearly 3 million sales. If you ask me that's enough of an incentive to not actively piss those fans off. 2D side scrollers tend to not cost that much, and there's as much of a demand for those as there is a prime game. Not to mention, no, a game isn't a failure if it sells 2 million copies and it's a AAA game, it's a failure if the devs lost control during the budgeting. I mean Dark Souls was AAA production value and it was a success with just 2 million copies. Not to mention there are ways to cut down on spending. Cheaper game designs...like this horrific abomination.

Is there no reason they could've made a new side scrolling metroid and brought it to the 3DS? I would've jizzed my pants at a sequel to Metroid Fusion. Christ, a remake of Super Metroid would've at the very least had wetted my appetite. And I what is the point of completely deviating from the core of Metroid to sell more copies when the people who didn't like Metroid before won't care about a new Metroid game because they never did, and the people who did care about Metroid will scream bloody murder. Exactly who is this aimed at?

And in the words of Jim Sterling "If you know something you're going to do is going to result in a backlash, DON'T FUCKING DO IT!"

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Honestly, if you're expecting a negative reaction then you should probably re-evaluate what you're doing.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
"Hey, let's make a new Metroid game!"

"Great idea, shall we make a game the fans will love?"

"No, let's do the opposite!"

"Wait, won't that make the customers angry and not want to buy our game?"

"Of Course! But it's okay because we know beforehand that we're going to piss them off, so we can prepare for that?"

"How?"

"We'll just tell them that once they actually buy and play the game they'll love it."

"Wait, for that to work they'd actually have to buy it first. They're not going to buy a game they are pissed off at."

"Oh. Ahh...."

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Does Nintendo still have their heads up their collective asses when it comes to this game? Yes, we're kinda pissed. No, it's not necessarily because Samus isn't the player character. (Though, if there's a "stay in the kitchen" type scenario in this game, you can be sure the backlash will include even those that aren't usually vocal about sexism.)

We're just really bummed out that the first attempt at a Metroid game in 5 years is basically (in terms of gameplay and partially art style) a sequel to Hunters. To add insult to injury that title is considered the second worst in the franchise by most, and there hasn't been a new 2D entry in over ten years. To rub salt into that fresh wound, we keep getting told the next console entry likely won't be coming to the Wii U, despite how well some of Samus's gadgets could be adapted to use the gamepad touchscreen. (Once again, even Nintendo themselves pass up a chance to properly utilize the gamepad.)

Listen, Ninty, you want to reinvent your franchises?[footnote] Some of Nintendo's detractors would laugh at that notion, though.[/footnote] That's fine. You reinvented Metroid before with Prime 1, and tried again with Other M. (Although, its gameplay was passable (minus the real exploration of the series), you shouldn't have went story heavy on the latter.) But here, you aren't reinventing anything. Your taking the one good aspect of Hunters, the handheld multiplayer, and making a game focusing on that. That's something you should have tried back in 2011 or 2012, not 8 years after the last good Metroid, when fans having been waiting and asking for a real entry on the Wii U or a nice 2D adventure for the 3DS (or even Wii U eshop).