Hideo Kojima Has Officially Left Konami

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hideo Kojima Has Officially Left Konami

The rumors are true: Hideo Kojima is no longer a part of Konami.

If you've been keeping score at home with the goings-on at Konami, you'd know that legendary developer Hideo Kojima is reportedly going through a somewhat New Yorker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141559-Hideo-Kojimas-Name-Erased-From-Box-Art-For-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain] has confirmed that Kojima left the Konami offices for the last time on October 9.

According to the New Yorker's source, a farewell party of around a hundred or so guests was held for Kojima on his last day, although Konami's president, Hideki Hayakawa, and its C.E.O., Sadaaki Kaneyoshi, were notably absent. He had been with the company since 1986, and his departure leaves the fate of his Konami-owned studio: Kojima Productions, uncertain.

As for what's next for Kojima, has has reportedly signed a non-compete clause that lasts through till December, so we likely won't hear very much from him until then. Here's hoping he finds a way to revive that Silent Hills project [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/silent%20hills?os=%20silent%20hills]...

Kojima's latest release, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/metal%20gear%20solid%20v%20the%20phantom%20pain?os=metal+gear+solid+v+the+phantom+pain] brought in a whopping $79 million for Konami on it's launch day, but the company seems adamant to abandon as much of the traditional video game market as possible, and instead make the shift to mobile, and pachinko games.

Source: The New Yorker [http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/why-did-hideo-kojima-leave-konami]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
It wasn't official? I was under the impression it had already happened.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I love the bit about the non competition agreement. So basically he can't make any pachinko machines for a while, but should still be able to make console games just fine. Obviously a joke, but its funny that they can get a person to "not compete" in an industry that they aren't even in anymore.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Zontar said:
It wasn't official? I was under the impression it had already happened.
It really had been all but official. This was the ink on the signature line, really.

In my opinion, Kojima is far better off without Konami, and Konami... is determined to self-immolate anyway, so what's a little more gasoline on the pyre?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010

I believe this wonderful masterpiece says it all. Also, FucKonami. Thank you.

I hope he turns around and makes a megahit that makes Konami shit their pants for treating him so poorly. Again, FucKonami. And thank you Kojima, for all you've done and if you wish to retire I understand but if you wish to continue, I shall support you as December is not too far off, sir.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
What about all those great game franchises he had the biggest hand in creating? What happens to them?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
WolvDragon said:
You do know Konami won't let go anywhere near Silent Hill right? I hate to break it to people who wanted to play the game, but with Kojima fired, there's virtually no possible way for him to start up the project again.
Well file the old name off and slap a new one on in its place. Theres nothing stopping them from producing something like it without Konami involvement.

...unless of course Konami decides to get involved, but seeing as thier shift in buisness paradigm is motivated at least partially by the rising cost of AAA development i would be very surprised to see them go out of thier way to interfere with Kojima any further.

Headsprouter said:
What about all those great game franchises he had the biggest hand in creating? What happens to them?
Android/iOS shovelware and panchiko machines.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
WolvDragon said:
You do know Konami won't let go anywhere near Silent Hill right? I hate to break it to people who wanted to play the game, but with Kojima fired, there's virtually no possible way for him to start up the project again.
But the talent behind it is now free and on the market. What people want are good games and if he can capture the same magic that demo had with a new project I'm willing to bet no one will care if has nothing to do with Silent Hill.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Headsprouter said:
Dead/pachinko profit. Hope you love the new pay to play Zone of the Enders.

OT:
Great news. I'm sure he'll have some fun things to say about the company come December, laughs to be had, and future projects to look forward to.
Which is perfect since we ALL officially left Konami already anyways.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
JagermanXcell said:
Dead/pachinko profit. Hope you love the new pay to play Zone of the Enders.
I won't lose sleep over it. Never was a Konami guy, was kind of regretful of that fact until now.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Well if he goes independent and makes a kickstarter for "Muted Mounds" then I bet it'll break all the sites previous records.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
WolvDragon said:
Maybe, maybe not, he could change some of the names and such to avoid IP infringement and simply have his own horror title based on his work up until that point. Sort of like what happened with "Silent Hill: The Room" except in reverse with SH trappings removed/changed instead of added.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It took almost 20 years after he first said it, but he's finally done with the Metal Gear franchise. Now, will someone who still appreciates creative talent scoop him up, or will he, and maybe some fellow Konami escapees, form Big Boss Games? Del Toro still wants to make Silent Hills, even if it has to be called Hushed Knolls.

PS: #FuckKonami, #PULLTHELEVER!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Rather telling that the big wigs at the company weren't at the farewell party: lest we forget that this is Japan and keeping face is one of the most important things to do.

I wish Kojima all the success he wants, and hopefully Konami will be happy as a front for the Yakuza (come on, they shifted into gambling machines and started offering 'insurance' for player asset in-game).