Full List of Xbox One Backward Compatibility Games Revealed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Full List of Xbox One Backward Compatibility Games Revealed

Microsoft has unveiled the list of Xbox 360 games that will be backward compatible on Xbox One when the feature launches

backward compatibility [http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/09/introducing-your-first-104-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-games/]. 104 titles have made the cut, and will be available to play when Xbox One's new dashboard launches on November 12.

"At Xbox, we believe that gaming is universal and should be enjoyed by everyone, everywhere. Our philosophy since launching Xbox One two years ago has been to put gamers at the center of everything we do and create the best, most seamless gaming experience possible," wrote Mike Ybarra, Director of Program Management for Xbox. "We're taking a major step forward in that journey on November 12 when we start rolling out the New Xbox One Experience with Xbox One Backward Compatibility."

"Today, I'm happy to unveil to you the first 104 Xbox One Backward Compatibility games. Some of my favorites are included, like the complete "Gears of War" catalog, "Assassin's Creed II," "Fallout 3," "Borderlands," and "Castle Crashers."

In addition to the 104 announced titles, Microsoft has said that it will soon add Halo Reach, Halo Wars, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite and Skate 3 as well. In addition, all Xbox 360 games available through Games With Gold [http://mjr.mn/16bZpx8] after November 12 will be playable on Xbox One.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/663717944367685632]

The full list of games [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility] announced today is below:

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Assassin's Creed II
Asteroids & Deluxe
Banjo Kazooie: N n B
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Bejeweled 2
Bellator: MMA Onslaught
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Blood of the Werewolf
BloodRayne: Betrayal
Borderlands
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Castle Crashers
Castlestorm
Centipede & Millipede
Condemned
Crazy Taxi
Deadliest Warrior: Legends
Defense Grid
DiRT 3
DiRT Showdown
Discs of Tron
Doom
Doom II
Dungeon Siege III
Earthworm Jim HD
Fable II
Fallout 3
Feeding Frenzy 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Golden Axe
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Hearts
Hardwood Spades
Heavy Weapon
Hexic HD
Ikaruga
Jetpac Refuelled
Joy Ride Turbo
Just Cause 2
Kameo
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars: TCS
Lode Runner
LUMINES LIVE!
Mass Effect
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug XX
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Mirror's Edge
Missile Command
Monday Night Combat
Monkey Island 2: SE
Monkey Island: SE
Ms. Splosion Man
Mutant Blobs Attack
N+
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
NiGHTS into dreams...
OF: Dragon Rising
Pac-Man C.E.
PAC-MAN CE DX+
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
Pinball FX
Plants vs. Zombies
Prince of Persia
Putty Squad
R-Type Dimensions
Rayman 3 HD
Sacred Citadel
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
Shadow Complex
Sonic CD
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Super Meat Boy
Supreme Commander 2
The Stick of Truth
Tom Clancy's RainbowSix Vegas
Tom Clancy's RainbowSix Vegas2
Torchlight
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Tron: Evolution
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP
Wolfenstein 3D
Zuma

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
A lot of these titles... aren't even available as retail versions, right? Wolfenstein 3D? I mean, what do these have to do with 360 backwards compatiblity? And how did they manage that?

I mean I'm all for "free games" (that were already paid for in the prev. gen), but it's rather strange to see so many digital only titles. Unless of course I'm mistaken and all these are available on disc for the 360.

Also, no Halo Reach :/

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Borderlands 1 but not 2 or Pre-Sequel? Mass Effect 1 but not 2 or 3? Halo: Spartan Assault, but no Halo 3, ODST or Reach? Neither Elder Scrolls game? Assassins Creed II but not 1, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 or 4? I'm noticing a lot of questionable omissions on that list, Microsoft. I see your game (pardon the pun) and I will not be swayed!

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I have 5 games on this list

Prince of persia
Mirrors edge
Mass effect
Condemned
And gears of war 2.

Not worth it in the slightest ( for me) .
Ill stick to my ps4 thanks.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
The Great JT said:
Borderlands 1 but not 2 or Pre-Sequel? Mass Effect 1 but not 2 or 3? Halo: Spartan Assault, but no Halo 3, ODST or Reach? Neither Elder Scrolls game? Assassins Creed II but not 1, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 or 4? I'm noticing a lot of questionable omissions on that list, Microsoft. I see your game (pardon the pun) and I will not be swayed!
Halo 3 and ODST are available as a part of a compilation game for xbone. They may have plans to eventually include Reach in that like they did with ODST (as a ten-dollar add-on). I'm basically with you though. I'd like to play the ME series on my nice big TV but as of yet, the only way I have to do that is buy an old console because ME3 won't fly on Steam Link and the xbone isn't carrying anything but the first one. I greatly suspect, however, that this list reflects what games MS got permission to do this with rather than what they chose. ME 1 was originally published as a MS exclusive but ME2 and ME3 were released under EA, which is desperately trying to recreate the market control that companies like MS, Sony and Valve have.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
What a bunch of crap... Nothing on that list interests me. Where is FO: New Vegas? Where is Lost Odyssey or Star Ocean? Also a lot of this crap is something ANY emulator has... I mean Sonic? What the hell Microsoft?

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
And just like I've been telling everybody online and irl since it was announced:

1. This is not backwards compatibility and
2. It will be no where near as good as you think it will be

I mean.. you know when MS are clutching at straws when they include:
"Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Spades
Hardwood Hearts"

A bunch of these games are taken straight from Rare Replay for a start.

Then there are all the digital only releases, and old console ports, and I mean, Bejeweled? feeding frenzy? seriously?

Like I've been saying from the start, this is literally Microsoft's version of Nintendo's Virtual Console and Sony's PS Classics, the only way they differ is that Microsoft will let you have these glorified ports for free if you already own them. This whole "backwards compatibility" is a massive lie and is subject to all the issues that plague the other 2 solutions, things like licensing issues.

Edit: No Tales of Vesperia, No Lost odyssey, No Star Ocean, No Blue Dragon, No Magna Carta, No Infinite undiscovery... blegh

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow... what an underwhelming list. All the hype for this?
No Fable Anniversary, Witcher 2, Tales of Vesperia, Far Cry 3, Vanquish, Saints Row 2, Enslaved? Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon?

I mean, I don't need every title in extensive 360 catalogue to be compatible, but finding little to no game that was actually great on the console is completely baffeling.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Whatislove said:
And just like I've been telling everybody online and irl since it was announced:

1. This is not backwards compatibility and
2. It will be no where near as good as you think it will be

I mean.. you know when MS are clutching at straws when they include:
"Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Spades
Hardwood Hearts"

A bunch of these games are taken straight from Rare Replay for a start.

Then there are all the digital only releases, and old console ports, and I mean, Bejeweled? feeding frenzy? seriously?

Like I've been saying from the start, this is literally Microsoft's version of Nintendo's Virtual Console and Sony's PS Classics, the only way they differ is that Microsoft will let you have these glorified ports for free if you already own them. This whole "backwards compatibility" is a massive lie and is subject to all the issues that plague the other 2 solutions, things like licensing issues.

Edit: No Tales of Vesperia, No Lost odyssey, No Star Ocean, No Blue Dragon, No Magna Carta, No Infinite undiscovery... blegh
The main problem here is the 3rd party publishers that have to submit games to Microsoft. Blame them, not Microsoft, for not wanting to release their games for download.
Technically the software emulation works fine, and no, they're not ports since Microsoft doesn't need the source code or any technical work from the developers. The actual games still run in their old resolution and even feature the old Xbox Live with achievements separately from Xbox One. The games from Rare Replay use an internal early build of Microsofts emulator, and are unchanged from their 360 versions.
Again, the real hurdles here are the legal and licensing issues. Even if Microsoft released an update that would just allow your Xbox One to do the packaging and just be one simple insert disc action, they'd still get in trouble. When publishers released their games out for 360, they had to pay licensing fees to Microsoft (hence the costlier price than for PC), as well as sign a licensing agreement for release on the Xbox 360, not Xbox One or X2 or whatever future hardware Microsoft comes up with. Publishers want full control over their IPs, so when Microsoft suddenly breaks that deal and allows already sold games to be played on a console they never agreed on, they get angry and clench their fists. The publishers would rather do a cheap port and sell it for profit than say "Yeah sure, play those old games instead of paying us new money".

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
I think I'll just stick with my 360 thank you.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Castle Crashers
Probably the most pointless entry on that list, since owners of Castle Crashers on the 360 could get the Remastered version for the One for free?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Disappointing. No Reach? No Halo Wars? Classic ODST? I just want some Firefight action. At least we have Gears, that's kind of good.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I only own 24 of those titles. While that seems like a lot, I have over 500 games on 360. This list is shit. Also, saying that the games with gold games will work from here on out just means that a lot of the games are not going to be retail releases, just shovelware arcade stuff.

The same dilution of games happened with PS+. Nearly all indie titles, nearly no retail titles.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Isn't Microsoft releasing a Gears of War Remake/master soon? If so them being on the list might be moot. Otherwise it's not the greatest selection of games. While I might blame the devs/publishers for most their games, I would think Microsoft would like to put out a larger list of their high quality games. Being the 8th gen and have access to their better library of 360 games would tip the scale in their favor. This list could give it a nudge, but not a big one. If they planned it like this that's a bit disheartening. Oh wells, more games coming this year so not to worried about it.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Naldan said:
A lot of these titles... aren't even available as retail versions, right? Wolfenstein 3D? I mean, what do these have to do with 360 backwards compatiblity? And how did they manage that?

I mean I'm all for "free games" (that were already paid for in the prev. gen), but it's rather strange to see so many digital only titles. Unless of course I'm mistaken and all these are available on disc for the 360.

Also, no Halo Reach :/
From the word go someone else noticed that most of those game were XBLA titles and that makes me happy. I haven't been on the fence to buy an Xbone, but this list of arcade games doesn't make me even want to approach the fence now. Someone get Trump on the line he would absolutely love this! Funnier even still is that I'm Hispanic! Sorry Killer Instinct 2, you'll always be the star in the heavens, so close yet so far away at the same time.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
This is pretty fucking sweet. Many of those I own digitally and I'm actually doing a playthrough of Fable II right now on my 360. Also, since I'm part of the Preview Program. I'm gonna try popping it in tonight and see if it works already.

EDIT - Just tried. Not yet.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Naldan said:
Wolf3D was ported to 360 so its available, just not on disc.

OT: The list is sizeable but the lack of more isn't due to any ineptness of MS, rather the 3rd parties who own the IPs not doing the work in getting those other titles certified and working.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay Microsoft, a good start. You have the right idea, for sure. However, I own I think five, maybe six of the games you listed. So you still need to do a bit more work. Keep the train moving and start adding the bit hit games and then you will firmly have me on board.

Of course, if backward compatibility had just been put in the system from the get go, then this wouldn't even be an issue for me, but at least you guys are attempting to fix that.

John Markley

Jun 29, 2015
This feature had me interested because I never owned a 360 and missed out on some exlcusives I'd like to play, but none of them are on that list. I'll pick up a 360 down the line now that they're really cheap, I suppose.