Full List of Xbox One Backward Compatibility Games Revealed

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
It's the 360's backwards compatibility all over again: only somehow worse. None of the 360 games I have are on that list. Oddly enough, all of the games from that list that I own I have on PC.

I can't help but notice the lack of 'core' games that have since had HD re-releases or came out as part of collections.

If anything, this seems like an alpha test of the emulator: games that only utilize certain parts of the 360's tech have passed and are what we're getting. More games will come when they get more of the emulator's primary features working.

EDIT: You know, I just wish they'd just package up their pc software they use to run the games before they put them on the console and sell that to us. It'd be cheaper for them and it'd probably have more success than whatever half-assed thing they come up with for the xbone. I mean, come on, there aren't any more games coming to the 360.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Whatislove said:
1. This is not backwards compatibility
I get what you mean. All the games are digital downloads, even the discs download a digital version, but I don't think many people care about which word is used. They can play old games on a new console. That's all that matters.

Whatislove said:
2. It will be no where near as good as you think it will be
As a member of the Preview Program, I think I can say it actually works quite well. I played ME from start to finish and it looked and played fine. Gears of War is fine too, so are all of the 360 Rare Replay games. They play as if they were on a 360. Unless you expect better, that's the highest we can aim for (considering it's a 360 emulator running on the Xbox One).

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Creator002 said:
Whatislove said:
1. This is not backwards compatibility
I get what you mean. All the games are digital downloads, even the discs download a digital version, but I don't think many people care about which word is used. They can play old games on a new console. That's all that matters.

Whatislove said:
2. It will be no where near as good as you think it will be
As a member of the Preview Program, I think I can say it actually works quite well. I played ME from start to finish and it looked and played fine. Gears of War is fine too, so are all of the 360 Rare Replay games. They play as if they were on a 360. Unless you expect better, that's the highest we can aim for (considering it's a 360 emulator running on the Xbox One).
I'm sure the functionality works fine, that wasn't what I meant by not being as good as people think.

I meant that there won't be near as many games supported by the feature as there was made out to be.

Like I said, it's just another implementation of something that's been done before and it runs into the same issues, the big one being licensing; the common misconception seems to be "oh, but they'll get all the big popular ones supported!" when really how popular the game is has nothing to do with it.

Take Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core on PSP for example, one of the consoles biggest sellers and most requested game to come to the PSN for download (on psp or vita), it will never make an appearance because of a licensing issue with the music in the game. Kingdoms hearts on the PSP is in a similar situation.

Microsoft have made a perfectly good tool but they still need to get the developers on board, and even if the developers are on board they then have to re-negotiate licensing agreements and a whole bunch of other legal crap that most developers/companies will see as a waste of time - and even if they do put in the time and effort there is no guarantee they'll come to terms to make it available through the service.

I've always had a problem with the name 'backwards compatibility' because it really couldn't be further from the truth, like you said, you have to re-download a digital version of the game anyway, it doesn't play from the disc, and it doesn't even have have compatibility with 10% of the total Xbox 360 titles, and it won't ever have anywhere near 100%.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if 300 games total make it to this service during the lifespan of the Xbox One.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the feature, but it was touted as something it clearly isn't, and seeing the list doesn't have a single game I'd hoped for (like any number of the JRPG exclusives Microsoft paid out the ass for) doesn't give me any confidence going forward.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
The Great JT said:
Borderlands 1 but not 2 or Pre-Sequel? Mass Effect 1 but not 2 or 3? Halo: Spartan Assault, but no Halo 3, ODST or Reach? Neither Elder Scrolls game? Assassins Creed II but not 1, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 or 4? I'm noticing a lot of questionable omissions on that list, Microsoft. I see your game (pardon the pun) and I will not be swayed!
I doubt Halo 3 or ODST will be released as you can already get them via the Master Chief collection, Borderlands has also been release as the Handsome Jack collection, so don't expect them to let you have those for free. Kinda surprised at Gears of War, since they have remastered that one.

Mar 30, 2010
Not bad as an initial list, and of course they've already confirmed that hundreds more titles are to be added in the not too distant future, just a shame that they've made this feature live during the month that we get Halo 5, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront and Rainbow Six Siege. Sorry MS, I'll be too busy to care.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I think i've done things the marginally better way araound; Kept my 360 and acquired a PS4. It may not be the customer Microsoft needs right now, but it's the customer they deserve. So long and thanks for all the whales...of a time...mostly. Let me know when Rare releases a great game again, or completely prettifies Perfect Dark to current gen without sacrificing 4-player split screen with up to 8 bots (Or literally any part of the original game/s).

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Buckets said:
The Great JT said:
Borderlands 1 but not 2 or Pre-Sequel? Mass Effect 1 but not 2 or 3? Halo: Spartan Assault, but no Halo 3, ODST or Reach? Neither Elder Scrolls game? Assassins Creed II but not 1, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 or 4? I'm noticing a lot of questionable omissions on that list, Microsoft. I see your game (pardon the pun) and I will not be swayed!
I doubt Halo 3 or ODST will be released as you can already get them via the Master Chief collection, Borderlands has also been release as the Handsome Jack collection, so don't expect them to let you have those for free. Kinda surprised at Gears of War, since they have remastered that one.
That's exactly the point. "Oh, we don't want you to use the games you already have, we want you to give us more money for the same game but for this new system that's capable of playing the old version," is that game I was alluding to.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"Today, I'm happy to unveil to you the first 104 Xbox One Backward Compatibility games.

In addition to the 104 announced titles,
The list consists of 103 titles. what is that mysteriuos one that you left out?

Also it is still not backward compatibility no matter how much they keep repeating that nonsense. it is emulation.

NLS said:
The main problem here is the 3rd party publishers that have to submit games to Microsoft. Blame them, not Microsoft, for not wanting to release their games for download.
no. Microsoft made an emulation that emulates Xbox 360. if it emulates it properly, it will run ANY 360 disc regardless of the publisher. They are emulating thier own console, they dont need publishers permission for that. you dont need to download those games. you only download an emulator of 360.