Stick Around: The Predator 4 Script Is Finished

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Stick Around: The Predator 4 Script Is Finished

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1011/1011591.png

If it inks, they can script it.

We haven't heard many new developments regarding Predator 4 since the project was announced [http://screenrant.com/predator-reboot-sequel-shane-black-details/] by Iron Man 3 director (and "Hawkins" from the 1987 original) Shane Black over the summer, and maybe that's for the best. What's being labeled as an "inventive sequel" that "reinvents the franchise" by Black and producer John Davis probably requires a certain amount of secrecy in order to be effective, which coincidentally, would be the last word you would use to describe the majority of Predator sequels up 'till now (the mostly-fun Predators excluding*).

Yesterday, however, we were given a somewhat huge announcement regarding the sequel from co-writer Fred Dekker, who took to Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/DirectorFredDekker/?fref=ts] to announce that the script for Predator 4: This Time It's Personal (not the actual title) had just been completed.

"A character from the new screenplay we turned in," wrote Dekker alongside some fan art from 7-year-old Angus Herndon, begging the question: Who let's a 7-year-old watch Predator?!

As we said, little about the Predator 4 plot or potential cast has been revealed other than the fact that it won't feature any of the players from 2010's Predators or original star Arnold Schwarzenegger, which makes sense given the "fresh perspective" Black is hoping to achieve in this totally-not-a-reboot-sequel.

"(It's not a reboot) as far as Fred and I are concerned anyway. Why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?," said Black in an interview with Collider [http://collider.com/predator-reboot-sequel-shane-black/]. "(However, I can) really get behind inventive sequels (and) the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button."

Black makes a good point. The mythology of Predator stretches a lot deeper than most movie monsters -- they've mastered space and time travel, for starters -- but has been neglectfully reduced to little more than "alien hunters" in recent follow-up efforts. Personally, I hope the "inventive" angle Black explores relates to the Predators backstory, and more specifically, how they come from a society that both possesses technological capabilities literal light years beyond ours, yet still resorts to primitive skull collecting for entertainment and/or honor.

And on that note, this!

*I also happen to be a fan of the Danny Glover-starring Predator 2 aka Predator: Back 2 Da Streets, but understand why it currently sits at 23% on Rotten Tomatoes.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
RIP Jungle.

Seriously cannot wait for what they have in store for this new installment.

On a side note I also liked Predator 2 a lot.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Not holding my breath for this to be released.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
JaredJones said:
Black makes a good point. The mythology of Predator stretches a lot deeper than most movie monsters -- they've mastered space and time travel, for starters
Wait, when did Predators time travel?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah the build up Predators to be these super space hunters, but in all the movies, they are shown to be beaten by people using nothing more than twigs and mud. Are we getting the Predators who ride the short bus?

Maybe if they used some of the stories from the comics, we'd see what they are really like.

Mar 26, 2008
Jadak said:
JaredJones said:
Black makes a good point. The mythology of Predator stretches a lot deeper than most movie monsters -- they've mastered space and time travel, for starters
Wait, when did Predators time travel?
I don't think they have as such, but their collection of skulls and artifacts suggests they've been hunting humans for a LONG time.

They need someone who could credibly best a Predator. The thing that put me off Predator 2 for life was the idea that Danny Glover could kill a, albeit teenage, Predator. Either that or just make the Predator kill all the characters and go home. That's how I'd write the script. Send the audience home with that defeated feeling.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
A couple of things -

1) Since when did the Yautja have time travel?
2) People didn't like Predator 2?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
A couple of things -

2) People didn't like Predator 2?
{1} Possibly the comics, but the only evidence I've ever seen in-movie is how they have dinosaur trophies and Xenomorph Trophies. HOWEVER, I would state that this just means they've been around a LONG fucking time.

{2} Agreed. I call bullshit. I loved Pred 2.

OT: Eagerly awaiting the kill here.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
For a Predator film the script being finished doesn't excite me, why bother to much about the script, what they should focus on is getting the ordnance delivery finished.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
008Zulu said:
Yeah the build up Predators to be these super space hunters, but in all the movies, they are shown to be beaten by people using nothing more than twigs and mud. Are we getting the Predators who ride the short bus?

Maybe if they used some of the stories from the comics, we'd see what they are really like.
If we take into account the only good Predator movie, he's only partially slowed down by twigs and mud. He's killed by sheer luck.

OT: The 80's action movie mindset is dead, and so too is the Predator franchise. And I think we all know what delving into the lore of iconic movie monsters leads to. The Predator was cool because he looked awesome and was mostly shrouded in mystery.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
008Zulu said:

Well...largely yeah in a way...most of the Predators that hunt humans are like some of the younger ones after all. Humans are apparently just a sorta largely boring species to hunt that has more exceptions to the rule than most. Also something something they're crab-people and they like that we have some REALLY hot seasons they find themselves at home in.

Essentially we're just a playboy Predator's beach.

Mar 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
008Zulu said:

If we take into account the only good Predator movie, he's only partially slowed down by twigs and mud. He's killed by sheer luck.

OT: The 80's action movie mindset is dead, and so too is the Predator franchise. And I think we all know what delving into the lore of iconic movie monsters leads to. The Predator was cool because he looked awesome and was mostly shrouded in mystery.
I remember reading in the extended lore somewhere that the Predator in the first movie was the equivalent of a teenager and the one in Predator 2 was "unblooded" (i.e. no kills yet) and even younger still.

I thought it was established that the more green the Predator was at hunting the more weapons it used (the pinnacle of achievement being bringing down an Alien queen with wristblades only). Alien vs Predator Requiem seemed to shun this and have the Predator throw every-goddamn-thing at them.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Casual Shinji said:
008Zulu said:

I remember reading in the extended lore somewhere that the Predator in the first movie was the equivalent of a teenager and the one in Predator 2 was "unblooded" (i.e. no kills yet) and even younger still.

I thought it was established that the more green the Predator was at hunting the more weapons it used (the pinnacle of achievement being bringing down an Alien queen with wristblades only). Alien vs Predator Requiem seemed to shun this and have the Predator throw every-goddamn-thing at them.
To be fair, it was sorta an exception to the rule I think, I don't think they count Aliens that come out of Predators as worthy hunts so much as abominations that need to be destroyed for one reason or another.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

Yeah, from my understanding hunting humans is basically a "warm up hunt." The Predator has earned the right to go hunt, but isn't ready to take on a Xenomorph and become an official blooded hunter.

As for Requiem, that's because Lone Wolf (which is apparently what they named the Pred in that movie) wasn't sent there on a hunt...he was sent as a cleaning crew. He had two primary objectives.

1: Destroy all evidence of the Predators themselves as well as their technology.
2: Destroy all the Xenomorphs to prevent Earth - a favored hunting spot for the Predators - from being completely overrun. Had the Predator not shown up to confront the Xenomorphs and keep them in the town, the town would be been quickly overrun and the infestation would have rapidly spread. Per alien lore: if a single queen - or in this case a Predalien which was capable of creating drones - were to be unleashed on Earth, we'd all be royally boned. :p

Anyways, as a "cleaner", he was authorized to use any and all means necessary - including rockin' out with dual shouldercannons - in order to complete his mission. He wasn't on a hunt for honor, he was on a mission to destroy everything.

...does make me wonder why the Preds decided only sending one Predator was a good idea, though. I'd imagine a standard 3-Predator squad would be more appropriate considering a containment/secrecy breach of that scale. :p

Loop Stricken said:
Nice to see someone else that knows the actual name of the Predator race. :D

OT:
Of the two, I've always been more of a Predator fan than an Aliens fan. That's not to say I don't like the Xenomorphs - in fact they're my best species in the AvP FPS's :3 - but I just like the Predators more. As such I can't wait for a new Predator movie!

Personally, though, I think they need to take one more shot at an AvP movie (though I actually enjoyed both of the AvP movies we've gotten so far :p)...but if they want one that will really please the audiences they need to stop setting them in modern day and instead set it in the Alien universe so we can have Aliens, Predators, and Colonial Marines.

You know how sweet Aliens is? Just imagine that but with a single Predator sneaking around to make things even more interesting.

That or just take the story from AvP2 on the PC and turn that into a movie. :3

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
008Zulu said:

Well TBH Requiem felt very much like a Seal Team 6 situation - an evil monster wiped out an entire crew of Preds so they sent their best to hunt it down, any means necessary - and available.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Which one was Predator 3 then?

The one with Topher Grace? Or the other 2 AVP ones?

I have no idea how or why Topher Grace keeps getting roles. Everything he is in, including That 70s Show would be better without him.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Which one was Predator 3 then?

The one with Topher Grace? Or the other 2 AVP ones?

I have no idea how or why Topher Grace keeps getting roles. Everything he is in, including That 70s Show would be better without him.
Damn, you beat me too that. yeah, as far as I know there wasn't a Predator 3. We had Predator, Predator 2, Predators, but no 3.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Naldan said:
Not holding my breath for this to be released.
Why? The qualities of the different Predator (and Alien) movies have differed greatly over the years, but they've always remained profitable.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Redryhno said:
008Zulu said:

Well...largely yeah in a way...most of the Predators that hunt humans are like some of the younger ones after all. Humans are apparently just a sorta largely boring species to hunt that has more exceptions to the rule than most. Also something something they're crab-people and they like that we have some REALLY hot seasons they find themselves at home in.

Essentially we're just a playboy Predator's beach.
Actually, one of the AvP Predator novels (War) establishes that humans rank quite high up in the yautja food chain. They divide their prey into "hard meat" and "soft meat" (actual yautja words exist for those terms), with xenomorphs being "the ultimate hard meat" and humans "the ultimate soft meat." That while humans are weak physically, their "stingers" (firearms) are enough to give yautja pause.

Anyway, to be honest, the yautja have never particuarly interested me as a species, and it doesn't help that especially in fan circles, there's a tendency to make them protagonists (e.g. ff.net has a plenthora of ScarxLex stories...yes, really). Guys, they're killers. They may have a code of honour, but it doesn't stop them from going out and slaughtering sapient species, or using them as breeders for xenomorphs. I actually enjoy Predators in addition to the first Predator (never seen Predator 2), but it's because the yautja are adversaries in these cases.