Five Actors Who Should Play Green Lantern

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Five Actors Who Should Play Green Lantern

Who could do a better job playing Green Lantern than Ryan Reynolds?

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
An odd thought, but why not Phil LaMarr as John Stewart? He's already proven himself capable of voicing the character in JL/JLU, and I think he could do an excellent job live action as well.

P.S. Thanks

Sep 14, 2009
McMarbles said:
Terry Crews would NAIL John Stewart.
While I would love terry crews in the comic book universe, do you think he could really nail the john stewart tone? I didn't read much of the comic books, but pretty much every iteration of john stewart in the cartoons/movies always has him as more of a serious/defender type hero, and I'm just a bit too used to terry crews playing funny/cheesy action star to see him nailing that role (could be wrong though.)

OT: actually agreed with alot of the choices, I could see alot of them nailing the role in their own respective way.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Why are these candidates so incredibly old? Even Matt Bomer, who doesn't look that old, is 30 freaking 8. 38! He's got about 10 years on what Hal Jordon should be.

Start over dude.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Gorfias said:
Why are these candidates so incredibly old? Even Matt Bomer, who doesn't look that old, is 30 freaking 8. 38! He's got about 10 years on what Hal Jordon should be.

Start over dude.
I always thought Michael Jai White would make an excellent John Stewart; he's a good enough actor (I don't hold Spawn against him) and highly physical in his personal life that I'd believe he's a retired marine.

Sadly what now stand in his way is that he's 48:

Mind, we should all be so lucky to look as good as this at nearly 50.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I can't believe there are so many John Stewart candidates and yet nobody even mentions Idris Elba.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Gordon_4 said:
I always thought Michael Jai White would make an excellent John Stewart; he's a good enough actor (I don't hold Spawn against him) and highly physical in his personal life that I'd believe he's a retired marine.

Sadly what now stand in his way is that he's 48:

Mind, we should all be so lucky to look as good as this at nearly 50.
He does look like a version of John Stewart. But yeah, 48 rather than 28? What's up with that?

RealRT said:
I can't believe there are so many John Stewart candidates and yet nobody even mentions Idris Elba.
He's 40 freakin 3! He has grey hair already! There have got to be some young men that could do this.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
He's 40 freakin 3! He has grey hair already! There have got to be some young men that could do this.
No, there haven't. John Stewart is supposed to be a goddamn ex-marine, not some young punk, so 43 is a fitting age.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
RealRT said:
Gorfias said:
No, there haven't. John Stewart is supposed to be a goddamn ex-marine, not some young punk, so 43 is a fitting age.
And he's an architect. I still think they should find someone in his late 20s to mid 30s. One could do their 4 years 18-22, use Veteran's assistance to go to college and be working by 26.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Never saw Green Lantern, mostly because I detest Ryan Reynolds. Something tells me that if they did make another, they would use Hal Jordan over the clearly superior John Stewart.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Gorfias said:
RealRT said:
Gorfias said:
And he's an architect. I still think they should find someone in his late 20s to mid 30s. One could do their 4 years 18-22, use Veteran's assistance to go to college and be working by 26.
Actually I was trying to track down any kind of summary of John Stewart's personal history prior to joining the Green Lanterns and it's oddly sparse. It doesn't say how long he was in the Marines; just the he was a sniper (which is odd because I swear I'd heard he was a combat engineer) and then he studied architecture but again makes no mention of how long he spent in that career.

Besides I reckon Stewart's one of those Lanterns who looks better with a few miles on the clock.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
RealRT said:
Gorfias said:
Yeah, but John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Gorfias said:

Start over dude.
The thing is most comic book fans are mid 30's and older and they want the super heroes to be the father figures they where when they where children so when young actors are cast BOO, HISS, TOO YOUNG!

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
All the people in this thread asking for John Stewart, ick. As a longtime fan of Green Lantern comics, John Stewart is a piece of shit, and easily the worst green lantern to come from earth. Worse than Guy Gardner, even. He was really cool in the DCAU, but don't let that fool you.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly, I think original actor could have been a good Green Lantern if the writing hadn't been total shit.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
McMarbles said:
Terry Crews would NAIL John Stewart.
The comic nerd in me is screaming about how horribly wrong this is, but the Terry Crews fan in me would love this so damn much.

I would like to see John Bernthal [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1256532/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t23] as Guy Gardner [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Guy_Gardner_%28New_Earth%29].

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
P-89 Scorpion said:
Gorfias said:

Start over dude.
The thing is most comic book fans are mid 30's and older and they want the super heroes to be the father figures they where when they where children so when young actors are cast BOO, HISS, TOO YOUNG!
Sad, because I remember when I was young and watching shows that had what were supposed to be high schoolers and I'm thinking, these schmoes look to be in their 30s! I know my kids are thinking the same thing. I want them to like these characters and be excited about them. That isn't going to happen if they look like someone's grand parents.

That written,...

RealRT said:
John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.
Ick. Kyle Rayner. Should be forgotten by time. I will concede, John Stewart in the cartoons appears to be older. But again, to get the kids, a new generation of fans, I think we need someone late 20s, early 30s and have him play Hal Jordan. Without the green animated costume.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
Ick. Kyle Rayner. Should be forgotten by time. I will concede, John Stewart in the cartoons appears to be older. But again, to get the kids, a new generation of fans, I think we need someone late 20s, early 30s and have him play Hal Jordan. Without the green animated costume.
Do we, really? I think a mature character is more than capable to be appealing to kids, if done right. Hell, animated John Stewart is prime example of that.