Five Actors Who Should Play Green Lantern

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
RealRT said:
Do we, really?
No, but thats what the executives who make these decisions typically think. Then again, WB's casting is all over the place. They cast Ben Affleck, a 42-year old man who mostly looks his age, as Batman but then they cast Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, which, well, thats just me thinking that that was a very poor choice of casting most likely based on her popularity in the Fast and the Furious movies.
DC Movie Universe's everything is all over the place. I agree, Gal Gadot was by far not the best choice for the role of Wonder Woman.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
MarsAtlas said:
RealRT said:
Do we, really?
No, but thats what the executives who make these decisions typically think. Then again, WB's casting is all over the place. They cast Ben Affleck, a 42-year old man who mostly looks his age, as Batman but then they cast Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, which, well, thats just me thinking that that was a very poor choice of casting most likely based on her popularity in the Fast and the Furious movies.
And Ben is sporting some gray hair. He is supposed to be playing a Batman that is older. Batman already has his fans thought. Should be fine but...

RealRT said:
Gal Gadot was by far not the best choice for the role of Wonder Woman.
She looks like an 8 year old boy in drag. WTF? This is supposed to be the ultimate Amazon. Wonder Woman! Where is the big bust and wide hips?!?!?! Man. I'm old. I miss Linda Carter for this role.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Gorfias said:
MarsAtlas said:
RealRT said:
Do we, really?
And Ben is sporting some gray hair. He is supposed to be playing a Batman that is older. Batman already has his fans thought. Should be fine but...

RealRT said:
She looks like an 8 year old boy in drag. WTF? This is supposed to be the ultimate Amazon. Wonder Woman! Where is the big bust and wide hips?!?!?! Man. I'm old. I miss Linda Carter for this role.
I share the Linda Carter attraction, but you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Gorfias said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Gorfias said:
Why are these candidates so incredibly old? Even Matt Bomer, who doesn't look that old, is 30 freaking 8. 38! He's got about 10 years on what Hal Jordon should be.

Start over dude.
The thing is most comic book fans are mid 30's and older and they want the super heroes to be the father figures they where when they where children so when young actors are cast BOO, HISS, TOO YOUNG!
Sad, because I remember when I was young and watching shows that had what were supposed to be high schoolers and I'm thinking, these schmoes look to be in their 30s! I know my kids are thinking the same thing. I want them to like these characters and be excited about them. That isn't going to happen if they look like someone's grand parents.

That written,...

RealRT said:
John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.
Ick. Kyle Rayner. Should be forgotten by time. I will concede, John Stewart in the cartoons appears to be older. But again, to get the kids, a new generation of fans, I think we need someone late 20s, early 30s and have him play Hal Jordan. Without the green animated costume.
Just don't do the 1980s Doctor Who mistake of casting a kid side-kick. Child fans want to be the Doctor, even when it's a middle-aged Tom Baker or a 60 year old William Hartnel, not the Doctor's annoying kid side-kick.

On the other hand, doing what Doctor Who did in Earthshock (it's 35 years ago, so I think spoilers are ok by now) and killing the kid side-kick, gratituitously and without any heroic death because it's quickly revealed that they didn't need to prevent the Cybermen ship from crashing into Earth anyway, with a close-up on his face showing him terrified and crying as he clutches his brother's necklace, is an AWESOME way of making up for that mistake.

Especially when the show features a guy with a time-machine, and none of the Doctor's other companions even question why they aren't going back to rescue Adric ('But Doctor, can't you travel bend the rules of time and save him?' 'Well, yes...but he's SERIOUSLY annoying'. 'Oh yeah. Next stop Skaro?'

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Azrael the Cat said:
Gorfias said:
MarsAtlas said:
RealRT said:
Do we, really?

RealRT said:
I share the Linda Carter attraction, but you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.
Well she doesn't look like a warrior either, for that matter - she's skinny as hell.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
RealRT said:
Azrael the Cat said:
Gorfias said:
MarsAtlas said:
RealRT said:
Do we, really?

RealRT said:
Well she doesn't look like a warrior either, for that matter - she's skinny as hell.
Now THAT I do agree with. Same with all the fawning over Rey in TFA - I think it's awful the way in which women with full figures get body-shamed by the very people who claim to be all about ending sexism (particularly the 'if you're skinny with a large bust, you don't exist' crap), and whilst it certainly isn't Daisy Ridley's fault, I don't see how glorifying being rake-thin is an achievement.

It is VERY possible to have women who (a) look like athletes, and (b) look attractive. In fact, most female athletes look attractive IRL, and only look masculine/bag-of-walnuts when they're on the race track and flexed (most male athletes don't look their best in those conditions either). I was a champion swimmer who competed in penants, national competitions with many male and female Olympians, and several world record holders, and a LOT of the female olympians who look a bit masculine when flexed and competing are absolutely stunning looking when they're out of the pool. And why wouldn't they - they're young prime specimens of human physicality.

Again, I'm very much a fan of Linda Carter - a great example of a woman who was sexy as hell AND absolutely looked like an athlete who could kick ass.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Azrael the Cat said:
Again, I'm very much a fan of Linda Carter - a great example of a woman who was sexy as hell AND absolutely looked like an athlete who could kick ass.
Well, what do you gonna do, I mean, they are only making a blockbuster that costs more than GDP of some countries, they can't afford to do casting as well as a TV show in the 70s did.
Wait...

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Please please, if DC make another Green Lantern, make it John Stewart, this is one of the few places where you will make both SJWs and originalists happy.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
When I originally saw the green lantern,I thought Reynolds is going to be an awful Hal. However I think he'd be awesome Kyle rayner. Not that it would have saved the movie, but I think I would have been better.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
At least you didn't go with the classic suggestion of Nathan Fillion (who does the voice often).

Oh, and Shia Labeouf as Kyle Rayner, obviously. ;)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Azrael the Cat said:
you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.
I just think real women, warriors or not, have curves. (That should be a movie title!) But I think in Greek Myth, the did have one less curve: they lopped off a breast to ensure it would never interfere with their bow strings. Or was that Spartan women?

Azrael the Cat said:
Just don't do the 1980s Doctor Who mistake of casting a kid side-kick. Child fans want to be the Doctor, even when it's a middle-aged Tom Baker or a 60 year old William Hartnel, not the Doctor's annoying kid side-kick.
Yeah, true of Batman and Robin or Green Arrow and Speedy. Robin and Speedy have come to be rehabilitated and OK characters in their own rights, but initially? I'm sure no one fantasized about being Robin. OK, maybe Eminem.
Bigger age gap: Repo Man. I recall critics amused that young fans weren't that into Estevez, but Harry Dean Stanton.

Loving Dr. Who's newest run but happy they have an older guy playing him again.