139: Auspicious

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Well,...

... she is kind of a loser. She was supposed to be a healer and instead was pyro-mage all along. Her healing sucked and she agreed to be on an epic quest of great importance without realizing that they needed a GOOD healer, not a horrible one.

Bottom line: Tank was kidnapped by the boss, DPS died, someone cast friendly poison on the group's Entertainer, the pet class is a useless scout, and everyone KNOWS it is all the Healer's fault!

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Could you post that crystal exposition? I smell another Lorem Ipsum incoming.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
did the writers get bored and not want to write more backstory for this character we're clearly supposed to care about?

or did they realise that this arc has run its course and that they need to end it asap

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I always *knew* that had to do something to stay busy in between missions!
I mean, it's not like they would stand ramrod stiff in the exact same spot forever... ;)

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Deathfish15 said:
Well,...

... she is kind of a loser. She was supposed to be a healer and instead was pyro-mage all along. Her healing sucked and she agreed to be on an epic quest of great importance without realizing that they needed a GOOD healer, not a horrible one.

Bottom line: Tank was kidnapped by the boss, DPS died, someone cast friendly poison on the group's Entertainer, the pet class is a useless scout, and everyone KNOWS it is all the Healer's fault!
To be fair, most of the blame lies on the elemental crystal of light, which makes no sense because light is not an element. Out of the entire cathedral of healers, it picked the one pyromancer of the bunch.

It's an asshole, but it's not like the hints were subtle.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
No wonder they need the crystal to find new recruits. Not-Tifa isn't exactly brimming with charisma and inspiration.

Jeivar

Jan 26, 2015
Otaku World Order said:
No wonder they need the crystal to find new recruits. Not-Tifa isn't exactly brimming with charisma and inspiration.
Yeah, she really does seem to just be in charge due the being the only one with a desire to actually do anything.

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
I see some people above me aren't fans of this current arc, but I am loving it.

The Crystal never said she was chosen for her healing abilities, it probably wanted her to be the pyro mage of the group. But, her crappy team took one look at her and made her the healer. I can't wait to see her pyro blast some foo's.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
At the risk of sounding 2edgy4u, it's kinda depressing to note that the same thing happens in the real world with much less savory consequences (people with low self-esteem are told by an authority figure that the apocalypse is nigh, and that they are the only ones who can save it, by joining a sketchy band of people who hide within otherwise-peaceful communities under the pretense that they are protecting the community).

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I think I get where the confusion is now. We thought Erin was playing a RPG, when she's actually playing a MMO. The Crystal is the Match Making, and the Healer is just your average player who wants so badly to get into a party, that they queued for a role they weren't fit to fill, just on the hope that they will get carried and no one will actually depend on them to do their job.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
hamsterkilla said:

The Crystal never said she was chosen for her healing abilities, it probably wanted her to be the pyro mage of the group. But, her crappy team took one look at her and made her the healer. I can't wait to see her pyro blast some foo's.
It's a great arc, but i want another daedalus bossfight. #Bringsexyback

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Jeivar said:
Otaku World Order said:
Yeah, she really does seem to just be in charge due the being the only one with a desire to actually do anything.
Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

Those who can't teach start up a ineffectual passive-aggressive guerrilla warfare campaign.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
hamsterkilla said:

Yea, this is what I'm gathering too.

"The details were unimportant, what was is that I was needed"
Team automatically assumes she's a healer and she just agrees no problem.

Fluttermage effed up.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Devieus said:
Deathfish15 said:
Well,...

To be fair, most of the blame lies on the elemental crystal of light, which makes no sense because light is not an element. Out of the entire cathedral of healers, it picked the one pyromancer of the bunch.

It's an asshole, but it's not like the hints were subtle.
Areloch said:
Jeivar said:
Otaku World Order said:
Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

Those who can't teach start up a ineffectual passive-aggressive guerrilla warfare campaign.
The point is, Fluttermage, Not-Tifa, Not-Cloud, the Crystal, EVERYBODY sucks at their job. Except Daedalus.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
That reminds me: what is Not-Tifa up to at this point, and where is Not-Barret?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
RUNON SENTENCES! I see other folk's frustration for Fluttermage's continued back story. I am reminded of the "wait for it..." before the gobbleturkey steed reveal. But, I am kinda digging her beautifully drawn back story. Keep it coming, Cory. Grey, you are dead to me.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
hamsterkilla said:

But Not-Tifa said the Crystal was sending a healer. Was there another person who showed up later and got make the pyro mage instead of her?
Xman490 said:
That reminds me: what is Not-Tifa up to at this point, and where is Not-Barret?
Last we saw they were being held by the big bad. Seemed like they were being readied for some horrible experiments.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/erin-dies-alone/17096-Chapter-6-6

Specifically, drinking a crapload of liquid crystal.