The Brothers Grimsby - We're Done with Sacha Baron Cohen Now, Yes?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

The Brothers Grimsby sees Sacha Baron Cohen step into his worst role yet.

Read Full Article

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
At least he hasn't caved and made an Ali G or Borat sequel yet. When he does that it really will be the end.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, the trailer for this one just didn't grab me. The previous three were at least politically charged and oddly enough, character centric. An action movie wasn't exactly what I pictured him doing next.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Borat wasn't just the peak it was the only good one!

His show was good most of the time too and generally worked because it was using silly stereotypical easy targets as a foil to mock other people with rather than the actual source of most of the laughs.

I knew this was going to be bad because all the posters I've seen have basically been "lol he attracts fat women".

Also why the fuck is a british comic making a Bill Cosby joke? I barely know who he is from watching American shows that take the piss out of him and I'm pretty sure that's going to be better than most people in the UK.

Final annoying point the title of the film in the UK is just "Grimsby". Why? "The Brothers Grimsby" is a way better title!

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
The bus posters for this film made it look like the main character was a dark and gritty remake of one of the Beatles.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
Honest question; Do you even enjoy movies?

I ask because I've only seen one review where you claim you enjoyed the movie (Hateful Eight). Perhaps I've missed some of your reviews, but I've seen many of them. Whenever I see your name on an article I think, "Oh, another review from that guy that hates movies."

So, I must question whether you intentionally review movies you know you won't like, or whether you don't like movies in general. I'm sure something could be said about the overall quality of films in our time, but if your view of Hollywood's current offerings is almost entirely negative, why bother to review them in the first place? A simple blanket statement of, "Modern day Hollywood is trash," would effectively convey the same sentiment currently expressed over a dozen or so reviews.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Jaximus Decimus said:
Honest question; Do you even enjoy movies?

I ask because I've only seen one review where you claim you enjoyed the movie (Hateful Eight). Perhaps I've missed some of your reviews, but I've seen many of them. Whenever I see your name on an article I think, "Oh, another review from that guy that hates movies."

So, I must question whether you intentionally review movies you know you won't like, or whether you don't like movies in general. I'm sure something could be said about the overall quality of films in our time, but if your view of Hollywood's current offerings is almost entirely negative, why bother to review them in the first place? A simple blanket statement of, "Modern day Hollywood is trash," would effectively convey the same sentiment currently expressed over a dozen or so reviews.
I feel like "honest question" is just the question version of "no disrespect," but okay.

No, I don't hate movies.

If you want a positive review, may I point you to one last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/16858-10-Cloverfield-Lane-2016-Movie-Review]?

Or, if you want statistics, here are some. In 158 reviews: 45 have been positive, 56 have been mixed, and 57 have been negative. I've not hated 64% of them. And that number was even higher before the January/February dump that is, historically, primarily bad movies. You could also say I've only really "liked" 28% of them, which is also true, but that's pretty close to 1/3, which on any given week is approximately how many good ones we're going to get - 3 releases, 1 of them is probably good.

Edit: Oh yeah. Forgot to address the "picking which film to review" question. The majority of the time, I'll just review whichever movies are hitting theaters this week. If there are fewer than 3, I'll pick one from VOD over the last couple of weeks that I want to see/talk about. If there are more than 3, I'll pick the biggest/most interesting ones.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I like how every couple of weeks someone questions why Marter even does reviews because he always seems to hate the movies he writes about. It says a lot about internet society only seeing the negative in things...and by that I mean it's funny how people only seem to notice - and count - the negative reviews while the positive (or even the "meh" to "decent") ones seem to just float by unnoticed.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
RJ 17 said:
I like how every couple of weeks someone questions why Marter even does reviews because he always seems to hate the movies he writes about. It says a lot about internet society only seeing the negative in things...and by that I mean it's funny how people only seem to notice - and count - the negative reviews while the positive (or even the "meh" to "decent") ones seem to just float by unnoticed.
Internet culture? I think it's more a matter of human nature. Consider this: we are hardwired to notice the negative in things as a survival instinct. Doesn't much matter these days, what with industrial civilization, but that doesn't mean it's gone. We notice the negative movie reviews because 15,000 years ago if we didn't notice poor terrain features (or your favorite disadvantage) we'd be lunch for a predator, speared by a rival tribe, or otherwise dead.

With that said, it's still annoying when people whine about stupid shit like the frequency negative reviews.

Edited to remove mention of Mass Effect.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Ironman126 said:
RJ 17 said:
Internet culture? I think it's more a matter of human nature. Consider this: we are hardwired to notice the negative in things as a survival instinct. Doesn't much matter these days, what with industrial civilization, but that doesn't mean it's gone. We notice the negative movie reviews because 15,000 years ago if we didn't notice poor terrain features (or your favorite disadvantage) we'd be lunch for a predator, speared by a rival tribe, or otherwise dead.

It's the same reason that 3 million people bitched about Mass Effect 3's ending for 2 years, despite a large number of them having enjoyed the preceding 95% of the game. We unconsciously ignore the positive aspects of something in favor of highlighting the negative because a long time ago, the negatives could get us killed.

With that said, it's still annoying when people whine about stupid shit like the frequency negative reviews.
Not to open that can of worms again, but the first example is correct. In a field of ten things, we will see the five bad before we see the five good.

The second example? Not as much. That was more like someone throwing a birthday party for you and promising something super awesome that you've been waiting for for years at the end. The party is terrific, but at the end you receive a box containing dog poop. While the rest of the party was awesome, the poop sucked away that fun because you've been let down so bad.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
He's like the UK version of Mike Myers.

The comedian, not the fictional serial killer.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
monkeymangler said:
The second example? Not as much. That was more like someone throwing a birthday party for you and promising something super awesome that you've been waiting for for years at the end. The party is terrific, but at the end you receive a box containing dog poop. While the rest of the party was awesome, the poop sucked away that fun because you've been let down so bad.
Fair enough. I was replaying ME3 like an hour before making that post, might have (read: definitely) colored my thoughts.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sacha Baron Cohen needs to do more serious roles. He was my favourite thing in Hugo by miles, very funny but intimidating and sad all at the same time.

So knowing he can do that, why the Hell does he persist in doing this? I have to guess the answer's money, it usually is.

thaluikhain said:
He's like the UK version of Mike Myers.

The comedian, not the fictional serial killer.
They're different people?!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ironman126 said:
It's the same reason that 3 million people bitched about Mass Effect 3's ending for 2 years, despite a large number of them having enjoyed the preceding 95% of the game. We unconsciously ignore the positive aspects of something in favor of highlighting the negative because a long time ago, the negatives could get us killed.
I don't think it was so much that as it was that over 120 hours spread across three game lead up to... the exact thing EA and Bioware had specifically stated would not happen because it was such a huge copout. As if The Lord of the Rings ended in the middle of the Pelenor fields with Tolkein going oh yeah they totally won it was awesome.

The last three hours of Mass Effect 3 are so disappointing even four years later you still can't escape, YOU CANNOT ESCAPE.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
K12 said:
Also why the fuck is a british comic making a Bill Cosby joke? I barely know who he is from watching American shows that take the piss out of him and I'm pretty sure that's going to be better than most people in the UK.
He was pretty big here when I was a kid, the Cosby Show was VERY popular. Or at least I remember it being so.

Plus could be aiming to make its humour 'international'

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I'll withhold judgement until I see the movie, but I'm hopeful that it'll be good. Then again, I feel like the only person who nearly busted a gut laughing at The Dictator. It was the perfect blend of irreverent, dark, and stupid for my taste.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
What upsets me the most is that this is a flop and Mark Strong was in it.

I love Mark Strong. I wish he was in more things. Not things like this, of course, but more things that makes use of his amazing voice (holy crap did you hear him in Space Marine?) and tall, dark, and handsome looks.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Wow. Didn't expect this bad a response to the film as I found it was easily one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. Different strokes I guess.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Marter said:

The Brothers Grimsby sees Sacha Baron Cohen step into his worst role yet.

Read Full Article
Can you just stop reviewing films you know beforehand that you're not going to like them?

Or for the love of all that's holy please stop the reviews entirely?

You're worse than that crappy comic the Escapist added some time ago.

Now even when comparing you to MovieBob your reviews are just too biased and sad, reading your reviews I'm supposed to assume you lack depth perception or something.