Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice - Cultivating Apathy

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice - Cultivating Apathy

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice takes a simple premise and fills it with so much bloat and convolution that it becomes too big of a mess to be worth it.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hehehe, that was about what I expected from your review of this movie (considering all the other reviews I've read for it).

One of my favorite lines from a review is "Batman v Superman is the movie that will make you hate Batman and Superman."

Pretty sure this movie clinches it: no one is going to give two shits or a fuck about the DC movie universe. This movie was meant to be the foundation...and apparently it's a foundation built on sand.

PS: I do find it quite hilarious that every review I've read has said something along the lines of "If you saw that one trailer that made everyone ask "Did they just spoil every plot point in the movie?" the answer is yes: they most certainly did."

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I thought it was good: I liked the dark theme and attempt at seriousness...However it is deeply flawed. I thought Affleck nailed it. However every building in Gotham and Maetropolis seemed to be constructed of toilet paper and some form of solidified petrol...I'm looking forward to the directors cut.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
grey_space said:
I thought it was good: I liked the dark theme and attempt at seriousness...However it is deeply flawed. I thought Affleck nailed it. However every building in Gotham and Maetropolis seemed to be constructed of toilet paper and some form of solidified petrol...I'm looking forward to the directors cut.
I'm not gonna say I am looking forward to the Directors Cut....but I am going to say I have a slight hope that the DC will make it into at least a tolerable movie, as was mostly the case with the first Daredevil movie imo. The Directors cut was much, much better.

Yes. Affleck was good.

The dark theme is decent, and it has worked for Batman. But batman is a dark character, superman is really not. And if you have one dark guy...another one is just gonna be the fifth wheel. You cant bounce off each other when you're the same. Even Wonder woman was bland gray. Is Znyder incapable of seeing
color?

What little we saw of wonder woman was cool, but she was, as most "characters" in this movie...a cardboard cutout at best. There was nothing at all to differentiate her from Superman. She could take a superpunch and had a sword+shield. The "trinity" moment was lame, the only enjoyable moment in the entire movie was when they were all 3 attacking Doomsday. A bit cool.

Znyder is a travesty. He should be fired and not let close to any superhero movie again.

Honestly, if he had cut the amount of slow motion "check this out people" scenes by half, we might have had time for some actual story.

Also, Lex was a disgrace. Capably acted, but all over the place and never what he should be.

The only positive thing I have to say about BvS is that, when looking back, its gonna make Man of Steel be a better movie by comparison.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
God, I can not wait to see how much money DC pissed away on this mess.
Sad thing is my brother kinda still wants to go see it, then again, he was the kinda guy who sorta liked ASM2, though even he had to admit the ending with Rhino sucked.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its weird how dc movies are the dark ones and Marvel are the more light hearted. Since dc is the weirder comic universe which would really benefit from a lighter tone. But Marvel tends to have more complex characters who have to deal with the weirdness of growing up or alcohol dependence or abuse or being discriminated against. Marvel could go much darker and still be good, but the well known DC heroes are essentially Greek gods. Being dark doesn't help that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
tzimize said:
grey_space said:
I'm not gonna say I am looking forward to the Directors Cut....but I am going to say I have a slight hope that the DC will make it into at least a tolerable movie, as was mostly the case with the first Daredevil movie imo. The Directors cut was much, much better.

Yes. Affleck was good.

The dark theme is decent, and it has worked for Batman. But batman is a dark character, superman is really not. And if you have one dark guy...another one is just gonna be the fifth wheel. You cant bounce off each other when you're the same. Even Wonder woman was bland gray. Is Znyder incapable of seeing
color?

What little we saw of wonder woman was cool, but she was, as most "characters" in this movie...a cardboard cutout at best. There was nothing at all to differentiate her from Superman. She could take a superpunch and had a sword+shield. The "trinity" moment was lame, the only enjoyable moment in the entire movie was when they were all 3 attacking Doomsday. A bit cool.

Znyder is a travesty. He should be fired and not let close to any superhero movie again.

Honestly, if he had cut the amount of slow motion "check this out people" scenes by half, we might have had time for some actual story.

Also, Lex was a disgrace. Capably acted, but all over the place and never what he should be.

The only positive thing I have to say about BvS is that, when looking back, its gonna make Man of Steel be a better movie by comparison.
I think we should shift the blame to Warner Bros. movie company because they seem to be incapable of making anything other then Batman Dark Knight because Dark Knight won a billion dollars and they want that same success again so they think repeating that formula of Dark Knight would succeed.

I mean look at Green Lantern, and Zack had nothing to do with that movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Worgen said:
Its weird how dc movies are the dark ones and Marvel are the more light hearted. Since dc is the weirder comic universe which would really benefit from a lighter tone. But Marvel tends to have more complex characters who have to deal with the weirdness of growing up or alcohol dependence or abuse or being discriminated against. Marvel could go much darker and still be good, but the well known DC heroes are essentially Greek gods. Being dark doesn't help that.
No I always saw DC as the more serious one.

I mean look at the DCAU, not all the Superman episodes were comedic.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Can't say I'm all that surprised given that the trailer appeared to be all over the place.

I've been reading other reviews too and that seems to be a common theme. That and Ben Affleck put in a good performance, which was something I was expecting since he has some good acting chops.

This movie will make money overseas, so it will justify a sequel and a Justice League movie. Both of which I'm not stoked about.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Can't say I'm all that surprised given that the trailer appeared to be all over the place.

I've been reading other reviews too and that seems to be a common theme. That and Ben Affleck put in a good performance, which was something I was expecting since he has some good acting chops.

This movie will make money overseas, so it will justify a sequel and a Justice League movie. Both of which I'm not stoked about.
A sequal and a Justice League movie?

You mean they are gonna make a Batman v Superman 2 ;)

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

The DC ones have tended to be the more serious ones. The Tim Burton Batman movies are the good exceptions, they are dark but they are very comic book.

I'm not saying comedic, I'm saying light. There is a difference. Marvel movies tend to embrace their weirdness, DC ones seem to be ashamed of it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

A sequal and a Justice League movie?

You mean they are gonna make a Batman v Superman 2 ;)
Batman v Superman 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I think I mean in the sense that they will have a movie together or something. I guess BvS is a sequel to MoS in a sense, so DC will probably come up with something with the two of them.

Also, I haven't had enough coffee this morning. >.>

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

The DC ones have tended to be the more serious ones. The Tim Burton Batman movies are the good exceptions, they are dark but they are very comic book.

I'm not saying comedic, I'm saying light. There is a difference. Marvel movies tend to embrace their weirdness, DC ones seem to be ashamed of it.
I have read some comic books and lets just say sometimes the weirdness would just not work in a live action movie.

I mean look at Watchmen and the controversial alien monster thing no being incorporated in the movie.

And also compare the Superman comic book What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way to Superman to Superman vs The Elite and tell me which ome looked less goofy?

(The comic book has a Japanese Themed Superheroes like an Ice Samurai, and a Giant Cyber Gorilla terrorizing Syria and of course it shoehorns in extra canonical stuff)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I liked this take on the superhero genre - the film's attempt at foregoing retreads of origin stories outside of dream sequences was refreshing. The characters at this point are established. It's simply a matter of pulling them together for the big fight that a select few know is coming. DD, much to peoples' dismay wasn't simply shoehorned in to up the ante at the last minute. He wasn't a happy accident. It was planned from the very beginning so the big fight that culminated at the end was quite justified and very fun to watch. Plus, with the destruction of the previous film being a major plotpoint for this one, it was a factor when choosing where the fight took place.

Zack Snder's trademark beige overlay and bloom lighting, as well as his fondness for sad, snowy intros, are all in full effect, so if you've seen Watchmen or Sucker Punch, there will be a bit of happy deja vu in some scenes, most notably the first 5 minutes.

As mentioned, outside of dreams and the occasional memorial, origin stories are left largely untold. Bruce Wayne is an older, angrier Batman who has given up the moral highground for more brutal justice. Think Rorschach after he found that child killer in Watchmen. That same switch had been flipped in Batman and for good reason.

Gal Gadot's role as Wonder Woman was solid, far better than I expected. She acted like someone who had existed for hundreds of years should act - like the smartest person in the room, trying to hide the fact that this was the case. And when she finally steps up to fight, it is a fun watch. She uses all the tools in the drawer fighting DD and holds her own against what is essentially a giant mutant Kryptonian caveman that explodes. If you have been keeping up with the Superman books, it's Clark's new trick, but DD can do it repeatedly.

If the film had one failing that stood out, it was Eisenberg's Lex. This was not the mad genius megalomaniac we all have grown to hate in the books. This is his kid, a mildly autistic supergenius with a hatred for god figures stemming from a hatred of his own father. He's not one for grandiose speeches, more "get out of my way so i can do evil things with dead aliens." Him and younger Bruce from Batman Begins could have been buddies with how they passively run a company while keeping the public at arm's length.

Overall, a solid comic book film with some flaws but far from terrible and worth the cost of a ticket.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
It certainly isn't as bad as people are saying. But it may only be somewhat better than Man of Steel.

There are DEFINITELY parts worth seeing that weren't in the trailer and took me by surprise, I even appreciated some of Jessie Eisenberg's ramblings, although as said, he is more of a psychotic villain rather than the calculating villain (think the Master from recent Doctor who).

Like Lex, Afleck's batman is definitely closer to the unstable batman than the animated unshakeable batman, so some fans may not like that.

It is somewhat bloated, with maybe one or two too many central conceits, non-DC fans may get confused. There are shades of "Injustice Gods amongst us*" if you like that story.

*Which some interesting post is no doubt going to inform me was based on episode X, based on comic Y ripped of from novel Z from twilight zone episode P

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
Having a dark or more mature story does not mean your characters need to be dark and broody. You can have a serious Superman story without all the angst at a high school prom. The tone of the story doesn't need to be the tone of the characters, they can be mutually exclusive. The people making the current DC live action films don't seem to understand that.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

I have read some comic books and lets just say sometimes the weirdness would just not work in a live action movie.

I mean look at Watchmen and the controversial alien monster thing no being incorporated in the movie.

And also compare the Superman comic book What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way to Superman to Superman vs The Elite and tell me which ome looked less goofy?

(The comic book has a Japanese Themed Superheroes like an Ice Samurai, and a Giant Cyber Gorilla terrorizing Syria and of course it shoehorns in extra canonical stuff)
What they came up with in the watchmen was worse. Really I think the superman animated series should have been a guide for these movies. It did the character quite well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Worgen said:
In these pages, someone once wrote that characters need to be who they are. Batman can be dark and that is OK. Superman should not be! Batman is about angst, Superman hope. Instead, they're trying to be "The Dark Knight" and should not be.

They should all be forced to sit in a room and watch "Captain America: Winter Soldier" on loop with "Clockwork Orange" eye openers until they get it. Let your hero be who he is rather than trying to be some other popular character from another movie. And you can have a sense of real urgency in a fantasy movie while keeping it fun.

The last five Superman movies have not gotten it right. That's a lot of whiffed at softballs.

I think the superman animated series should have been a guide for these movies. It did the character quite well.
I second that. Fantastic series that understood tone and the character. Just bring that sort of thing to life