Report - The New Call of Duty Will Be Set in Space

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Report - The New Call of Duty Will Be Set in Space

Rumor has it Call of Duty will make the leap to full-on sci-fi later this year.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1304/1304254.jpgEveryone knows that a new Call of Duty will be released this November. But what might surprise you is that the newest game in the long-running series will be set in space, assuming that the latest rumors are true.

Apparently, the newest shooter will eschew the semi-realistic settings of its forebears and focus entirely on science fiction, throwing the player into space combat between two sci-fi factions who are at war with one another.

The rumors popped up on Eurogamer [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199444228&postcount=265] also covered the rumors, saying that the information was consistent with "reports Eurogamer has independently heard."

If true, it wouldn't be the first time a CoD title has gone to space. The opening of Ghosts took place in orbit, and Black Ops featured a zombie map that was set on the moon.

Still, this would be the first game in the series to embrace a completely sci-fi setting, although previous titles have included many elements that one could easily point to as a mix of reality and sci-fi.

Obviously, these are just rumors, and we have no way to know what the new Call of Duty might be about, but whatever happens, two things are certain: We'll know a lot more after E3, and the odds are that lots of people will buy it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
1. A short cutscene in Modern Warfare 2 was ALSO set in space. That was, granted, just a cutscene of about 2 minutes lengh.

2. The next CoD is by Infinity Wards. After the mentioned Modern Warfare 2 - and to some lesser degree even including that - they're not the kind of guys I see able to even do something that interesting. Or anything interesting, for that matter. If anything, I expected the next Black Ops to go into space in its campaign and simply let that series (and Treyarch) just go silly with Sci-Fi. Unless Treyarch decided to make a game set entirely in the Zombie universe instead and they have enough lore to justify it. Hell, they could have justified one for Black Ops 3 already thanks to the introduction of Grief Mode in Blops 2.
(As for Sledgehammer, I would prefer to have them go back to WW2 and other past eras)

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Well if all the rumours are true we're going to have quite the juxtaposition of settings for Shooter Season 2016. Space for CoD and World War I for Battlefield. I suppose it's a nice change of pace compared to having two competing games based around stopping Ultranationalist Russians from nuking something and/or fighting World War III with Russia.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
It happened! It finally happened! We've been making jokes about it for years, but we finally have Call of Duty Spaaaaaaaaaaace Warfare!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Interesting. The best part of the Ghost singleplayer was the space bit. And while the plot of Ghost was super stupid, it did have some of my fav set pieces. I shall keep an eye on this.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
OH! You know what it needs? Zombies. On Mars. And maybe some daemons. And then the Marine corps have to invade Hell to stop a PMC built cyber-daemon from destroying the Trump Military Base, the greatest most fanciest military base in the galaxy!

And maybe some sort of super gun. Like...like just a really big fucking gun, you know? Maybe with a catchier, more militaristic sciencey name but still just a really big fucking gun.

And maybe have some spooky sections where you just have a flashlight and pistol against spooky zombies, and then huge over-the-top set pieces of fire-shotguns and laser-chainsaws making friends with cyber-daemon faces.

That would actually be a pretty fun game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
OH! You know what it needs? Zombies. On Mars. And maybe some daemons. And then the Marine corps have to invade Hell to stop a PMC built cyber-daemon from destroying the Trump Military Base, the greatest most fanciest military base in the galaxy!

And maybe some sort of super gun. Like...like just a really big fucking gun, you know? Maybe with a catchier, more militaristic sciencey name but still just a really big fucking gun.

And maybe have some spooky sections where you just have a flashlight and pistol against spooky zombies, and then huge over-the-top set pieces of fire-shotguns and laser-chainsaws making friends with cyber-daemon faces.

At that point they may as well buy a GW lisence and make a W40K game instead.

Jun 20, 2013
Oh boy! Now the inane annualized slaughter of the <insert a vague or non-distinct ethno-group> can fully extend to LEO (lower earth orbit). Gotta stop those Space Terrorists (or Communists ... or whatever) from taking all The Space ...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
A few things come to mind here:

1) So...does that mean they're dropping the Ghosts storyline? While I hated it--it's the weakest Call of Duty to me since...ever actually--I was kind of curious to see what happened to Logan, or whoever you played as. Was planning on looking it up on YouTube, and them maybe guilt-tripping my GameFly friend into renting the game and letting me borrow it.

2) If this is true, if they're going full space mode, then I want FULL SPACE MODE. I want laser guns. I want orbital insertions. I want command ships blasting each other apart while my letting team in a shuttle--or even just jet packs--struggles to fly through the fire to the objective.
Basically, I want Star Wars.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg

On a slightly different note, I can't help but wonder if the CoD developers are in some kind of competition to push the series a far into the future as possible. Ghosts takes place in a post-apocalypse-type future (sort of), Black Ops does its near future thing, Advanced Warfare pushes the series to the latter half of the 20th century, and Black Ops III goes even further ahead. This from a series that began as a WWII shooter.

Still, if they're in space, they may as well go all the way. Or in other words:

Sniper Team 4 said:
2) If this is true, if they're going full space mode, then I want FULL SPACE MODE. I want laser guns. I want orbital insertions. I want command ships blasting each other apart while my letting team in a shuttle--or even just jet packs--struggles to fly through the fire to the objective.
Basically, I want Star Wars.
This.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gigastar said:
Silentpony said:

At that point they may as well buy a GW lisence and make a W40K game instead.
a decent 40K game would be way more interesting then another 'throw away' game in the CoD line.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If that's the case I only really long for one thing:

Zero-G combat.

Give me that and I would happily buy this for the multiplayer. Anything else is optional.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Supernova1138 said:
Well if all the rumours are true we're going to have quite the juxtaposition of settings for Shooter Season 2016. Space for CoD and World War I for Battlefield. I suppose it's a nice change of pace compared to having two competing games based around stopping Ultranationalist Russians from nuking something and/or fighting World War III with Russia.
It's not so much juxtaposition as it is options.

Unfortunately, the last 3 COD games have, in my not-so-humble estimation, been terrible. Change of pace is really too little, too late for me.

But having two diferent ends of the spectrum represented is cool.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Bindal said:
1. A short cutscene in Modern Warfare 2 was ALSO set in space. That was, granted, just a cutscene of about 2 minutes lengh.
The opening and end sequences of Ghosts were also set in space, being about the only memorable moments in the entire game and hypocritical to a truly hilarious degree.

It's finally happened, Cal of Duty is turning into Quake.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I know people've been joking about Call of Duty: Space Warfare but I've always wanted Call of Duty to take that leap forward and go sci-fi, just for a change. One can only take so many games set in the near future at the latest, but then again, I'd still prefer even that over another World War 1 or 2 installment.

I hope these rumours are true in any case.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I don't play CoD, twitch shooters aren't my thing, but I have been following it off and on. This rumor fills me with mirth.
Significant mirth.
Braumix was playing in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJAXmiMJkE

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow, another CoD I won't be buying.

Do you have any idea, Infinity Ward, of how many people are sick and tired of futuristic shooters? The last four CoD games have been futuristic, even Modern Warfare only had 3 games.

EDIT: You know what, fine. I'll be a little optimistic about this. If they keep it traditional boots-on-the-ground gameplay, then I might be interested. And if they finally fucking change the engine! I feel like I have seen every animation and explosion in a CoD game hundreds of thousands of times.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You know, at this point, why not? They've run through pretty much everything they can do without showing a war from a non-western(or Russian for WW2) POV.

On the other hand, SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!