14 year old shoots himself in the head during school

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Tayh said:
Maybe his father shot up his laptop at home and, using the methods his father taught him, he took out his frustrations the only way he knew: by putting a bullet into the issue.

I feel so goddamn horrible for smiling at this

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Elemantary - Dear Watson said:
ablac said:
When the saints come in is not a nursery rhyme. Im sorry I mispelled something i understand how abhorrent it is to get a mention. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but i do not have a problem with it. I infact just used it. I understand humour dont try and tell me that i dont on the basis that we dont agree on a single joke. What i was trying to say was that the joke was not suitable as no one has accused this of being the fault of videogames and that, while the finger is pointed regularily at games by the media, it has not yet been done here. Therefore the joke wasnt suitable because the story was about what had happened not the media fallout. Making a joke early is not clever. Its just that you think this event was trivial enough to joke about and that its fine to totally change the subject. Many people have trivialised this and those people are scum, the maker of the joke included. The joke is just lazy as sarcasm generally is. Very rarely has actual skill been put behind sarcasm and this is not one of those cases. He took a serious situation and trivialised it. If someone you knew had done this and someone decided to make this joke then you would hardly be in hysterics would you? no you, i hope at least to demonstrate you are at least human on some level, would be insulted because they were trivialising it. you dont joke about a real human being attempting suicide infront of 70 people.
Sorry for confusing your gospel song with a nursery rhyme... I sang both in preschool, easy to get confused... and hey... I remember putting rude words into it then too! The mature 4 year old I was...

If you had read other parts of this thread you would have seen that I was on a train when a friend of mine threw himself in front of it... I know about tragedy... fuck, I read about it all day everyday in my job.

Beleive it or not, sad as it is there are multiple ways of dealing with grief. Personally I am proffessional at my job, and as much as it is sad, I am heavily desensitised to it... A lot of people who live and work around tragedy are... Yes, I think this event is quite trivial. At the moment it has fired up a lot of questions... as it happens the kid isn't dead. He hurt himself with a dangerous weapon. I want to know why.
If I was reading about 2 year olds in Syria who were hit with mortars and artillery, whilst in their own houses... who are now in a feild hospital, abandoned because the doctors cannot return, then it would be different... whos fault is that? The child did nothing.

But we arn't talking about a tragedy like that, we are talking about a kid who should know better shooting himself in school, from a privaleged country, who should have done more to have prevented it. Yes its sad that the kid did that, but we still don't know why... there is no background to it yet. Hell, he could have been playng russian roulette for all we know. He could have been attention seeking, because mummy and daddy don't pay enough attention to him, (in that case I would be more angered at the parents than anything.)

Welcome to the real world... people act differently, its what makes us human. Yes, there are people in this thread being heartless, and saying they don't care (in which I would pull the BS card in most of those cases), and I am not defending them, what I am defending is the fact that people can say what they want in a scenario like this. Its how people cope with this kind of news... most people who crack jokes around sober subjects cannot help it... it's a coping mechanism. Once you experience the real world, not your 'cry at every death' bubble you live in then I will take your points, but guess what, I don't care right now. If I were to stop and mourn every death I hear about i'd never do any work...

AND WAIT! What's that I spot on the first page of this thread... your first comment to this whole affair:

'Well he's clearly messed up...'

Wow... Mr Compassion, showing us how it's done...
Well he is messed up. Im saying that hes clearly not right in the head. Thats quite obvious and its hardly an incompassionate statement. I doubt anyone here is that attached to this that they need to revert to a coping mechanism. No, these people are using humour and saying they dont care so they can appear superior to those who do care. They like the idea that they are superior to those with pathetic things such as emotions and care for their fellow human. Im gonna stop arguing with you now because to continue would be to disrespect what has happened. Humour is not suitable here and especially when the item is used simply as a gateway to a joke which has absolutely no connection to the story. You can respond but i wont respond in this forum anymore.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
ravenshrike said:
katsabas said:
the kid survived a gunshot. TO THE HEAD.
Almost certainly because he was a dumbass who is epic fail at basic biology. Betcha the idiot(let's face it, if you manage not to kill yourself with a gunshot to the head you're either pretty fucking stupid or really, really lucky, good or bad) put the barrel under his chin and had it angled forward when he pulled the trigger.
I went by the facts. I don't know why the kid did this or who he is. On the other hand, I can bet that neither you, nor anybody else in this forum that made fun of him knows the first thing about the boy, his mental condition or the situation in general. So, what makes you think you can ridicule him or judge him ?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
spartan231490 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
spartan231490 said:
Shot himself in the face, but was hospitalized? I bet it was a pellet gun. Don't really care why he did it myself, doesn't change my opinions on gun control or bullying.
If it was a pellet gun, I doubt he would have been hospitalized. Guns aren't like in games, there's no 100% fatal shot. The human body is a very complicated system, and a gun works by firing a very small chunk of metal through it at a very high speed. It will wreck your shit no matter what, but whether it will cause enough damage to kill you or not depends on a huge number of factors, and it's very rarely instant.
People don't live through point blank head shots from fire-arms.
Yes they do. For one thing, head =/= brain. Getting shot through the cheek is quite survivable. Also, Gabrielle Giffords was shot through the head recently, and lived. Even when people die it's rarely instantaneous, IIRC Lincoln lived until the next morning and was taken to the hospital. Remember, it said hospitalized not "with a good chance of recovery".

Here is a list of people who have survived similar injuries.

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saburo_Sakai#Serious_wounds[/link]

[link]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5177344/Woman-makes-cup-of-tea-after-being-shot-in-head.html[/link]

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Beck#20_July_plot[/link] (he was later finished off by a second headshot)

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage[/link]

[link]http://weirdthings.com/2010/06/the-man-who-survived-10-shots-from-a-mexican-firing-squad-weirdest-survival-stories/[/link] (also survived nine preceding shots by firing squad)

This article goes more into detail about surviving brain injury, with mention to gunshot wounds.

[link]http://main.uab.edu/tbi/show.asp?durki=85704[/link]

According to ChaCha (not always the best source, admittedly) you have a 2% chance of surviving a headshot.
I'll give you the head =/= to brain thing, but it was reasonable to assume he wouldn't have been hospitalized for a shot that didn't penetrate the skull, he would have only needed stitches otherwise, unless it somehow grazed the eye.

Other than that, you are ignoring the proximity of the shot, none of your links involved a shot at that close range. The results of a bullet impact vary based on range.

Secondly, the exception proves the rule.

Furthermore, none of your links involved children, who have smaller skulls and more vulnerable brains.

I stand by what I said.

The german man held the gun to his temple. Can't exactly get much closer range than that. The woman who was shot in the head was also shot at a rather close range.

The exception proves the rule? The fuck? You said that it's impossible to survive a gunshot wound to the head, and I showed multiple cases where it happened. That's not "the exception that proves the rule" it's disproving that statement.

I admit that none of my links involve children. However, that has nothing to do with the original argument, which was whether or not people could survive such wounds (they can). Also, you don't seem to understand how brains work. There's lots of little parts to them, and the whole thing doesn't die if any part is injured. It is very possible to get shot in the brain and live, it depends on where in the brain.

Darkbladex96

Jan 25, 2011
This happened at my highschool in the gym, i took pictures then didnt give a fuck just took the chance to skip class and get some waffle house. Brain on the floor made me crave hash browns.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
DasDestroyer said:
He must have put his evoker next to his gun when he got home, and then grabbed the wrong one.

I told them to be careful...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Kvaedi said:
It's fairly difficult to accidentally shoot yourself with a gun, especially in the head...
That really isn't true in the slightest. Accidentally self-inflicted gunshot wounds are relatively common though the most common cause is user negligence rather than mechanical defect. Common examples are pulling the trigger without first ensuring the weapon is unloaded or mishandling weapons without adequate safety mechanisms (older models of the M1911 or any of the countless models of the SKS that uses a floating firing pin are examples of this).

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
welp...sucks for that kids...good way to go out and troll the other 70 by traumatizing them.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Antitonic said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Really is no way to tell why he did it unless you can talk to ghosts.
They could just ask the kid, maybe. It only says he was "hospitalized", not "rushed to the graveyard".
For some reason, I found that hilarious.

"In other news; An elderly man was rushed to the graveyard today after being found dead in his home." Like there's some sort of rush to get people into the ground.

Anyway. I'm digging all the people that are all "Have some respect! A kid (possibly)died! This is a travesty! Children are precious!". They're the same people that see a video of a young girl throwing some puppies into a river and cry "String her up by her entrails!". Fickle, fickle people. How people can pretend to be moved by an event that has absolutely no connection to them is beyond me.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
-Samurai- said:
Antitonic said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
They could just ask the kid, maybe. It only says he was "hospitalized", not "rushed to the graveyard".
For some reason, I found that hilarious.

"In other news; An elderly man was rushed to the graveyard today after being found dead in his home." Like there's some sort of rush to get people into the ground..
I cant't pretend to take all the credit for that, it was a Simpsons reference:
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/BABF12 said:
Moe: Precisely. Then, I get in a sky-diving accident and have to be rushed to the... graveyard?! They're killing off Dr. Tad Winslow!

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Tayh said:
Maybe his father shot up his laptop at home and, using the methods his father taught him, he took out his frustrations the only way he knew: by putting a bullet into the issue.
The guy that did that was teaching a lesson to his daughter

The important part of shooting the laptop was that it showed that she was getting punished permanently and she couldn't get her stuff back

The act of breaking the laptop is the important part of the video not the means he used to break it with (granted it wouldn't be as popular if he had hit it with a crowbar or something)

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
sean360h said:
The guy that did that was teaching a lesson to his daughter

The important part of shooting the laptop was that it showed that she was getting punished permanently and she couldn't get her stuff back

The act of breaking the laptop is the important part of the video not the means he used to break it with (granted it wouldn't be as popular if he had hit it with a crowbar or something)
You missed the point.
I get the feeling it would be futile to argue this, anyway, and it's the wrong topic to boot.

Redweaver

Apr 1, 2009
Kvaedi said:
Tanksie said:
i saw the title and thought AMERICA lo and behold it was.

never happens in the civilized country i live in cause we aren't a bunch of dumbshits wit a government dumb enough to follow a dated law that lets any idiot get hold of a gun.
Yes, because 14 year olds can purchase handguns in the United States! In fact, we just hand em out on Fridays! Why, I probably have twelve or so just sitting on the sidewalk still from last Friday's pistol giveaway! Nobody wanted 'em cause every American owns about thirty by now, don't ya know?
You think you're being sarcastic, but it's closer to true than you'd like to admit.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
poiumty said:
Must've been a Persona 3 fan.
This is sad, I thought something very similar.

Anyway, it says he was hospitalized, not killed. It makes you wonder how exactly he positioned the gun, and what model of gun he used. The news has a way of misconstruing things to make people react differently. For all we know he put a bee-bee gun under his chin and made a new hole into his sinus cavity.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Antitonic said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
If you're rushing someone to the graveyard, there's only 2 reasons

1) They're late for someone else's funeral
2) You're late for there's and driving the herce.

Still the only thing I can say is that it's a sad, sad thing. However he got to the stage where this seems even remotely like a 'good idea' can't be a happy story