14 year old shoots parents, blames video games

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
14 year old goes to jail?
Cause shooting your family, tends to lead me to believe your a psychopath.
Than you blame video games. Poor show.

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
wait I must of misread,he goes in to his parents room and actually shot both of them in the head, presumably at close range, and not only did they both survive but they got up a rang the police, even thou they had a bullet hole in both of there skulls.

And he's not going to be the next Dexter Morgan or Hannibal Lecture if he's been planing to kill them since he was 8, not only did he fail to kill them,he didn't even try to cover it up,make it look like a burglary gone wrong or even try to run away and disappear.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Church185 said:
In short, a teenager shoots his parents (didn't manage to kill them) because they took away his video games. The full story is here [http://gamepolitics.com/2013/03/13/14-year-old-shoots-parents-blames-video-games#.UUNGUhkyE3o]. There are a few strange things about this story though. The boy said he voluntarily quit playing "violent games" years ago because he said that they made him violent, and that he had been planning to kill his parents since he was 8. The house was rigged with a surveillance system because the parents didn't trust the teen due to past misdeeds.

I really want to know if this will cause another call for games to be controlled. To be honest I feel like he is just blaming games to get a more lenient sentence due to the media buzz that surrounded the Sandy Hook massacre.

other source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/nathon-brooks-teen-shot-parents-video-games_n_2868805.html
Everything is a reason to call for curbing our freedoms day in and day out.

However this is funny, because it's not the games that made him violent, it's the lack of games. So Fuzzy logic dictates that we should have mandatory game playing sessions mandated by the government to keep us from killing each other.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
torno said:
I can't help but notice that the article said the kid pried open his dad's gun safe.
Uh...
Assuming they aren't just substituting the word "unlocked" with something more spicy, someone with a gun safe, tell me: Exactly how easy is it to physically PRY open of these open?
Isn't another name for a crowbar a prybar? I think it means to use leverage to force something open.

Clearly the kid is just loopy-bananas - sure there's going to be some complex Latin or Greek word for it but loopy-bananas fits the bill pretty well.

Not even going to dive too deep into how video games do not encourage people to go shooting people for arbitrary reasons.

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
Tiger Sora said:
14 year old goes to jail?
Cause shooting your family, tends to lead me to believe your a psychopath.
Than you blame video games. Poor show.
I can't wait to see they next thing psychopathes are going to blame when blaming video games gets old.
I can already see the head lines

[HEADING=2]teen kills parents because of telly tubbys[/HEADING]

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks kid, you just set the pro-gun and pro-video game group back a few steps. This kid sounds batshit pscho and his parents set up surveillance on him but didn't feel it necessary to have him put in an asylum?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
SkarKrow said:
torno said:
I can't help but notice that the article said the kid pried open his dad's gun safe.
Uh...
Assuming they aren't just substituting the word "unlocked" with something more spicy, someone with a gun safe, tell me: Exactly how easy is it to physically PRY on of these open?
Well if years of myhtbusters have taught me anything it's that actual safes are really fucking hard to break into.

Like, plasma cutter is needed, that kind of hard > >

OT: Psycopath, imprisonment, do not allow to claim insanity, because he isn't, simple.
What do you mean, he isn't insane.

Reading his reasonings, and that he's wanted to kill his parents "for years now" seems pretty insane to me

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Lionsfan said:
SkarKrow said:
torno said:
Uh...
Assuming they aren't just substituting the word "unlocked" with something more spicy, someone with a gun safe, tell me: Exactly how easy is it to physically PRY on of these open?
Well if years of myhtbusters have taught me anything it's that actual safes are really fucking hard to break into.

OT: Psycopath, imprisonment, do not allow to claim insanity, because he isn't, simple.

Reading his reasonings, and that he's wanted to kill his parents "for years now" seems pretty insane to me
Not necessarily insane. Decidely psychotic though and clearly unsafe to be around normal people, but you can be a psychopath and be sane. The two are not mutually exclusive things.

I was saying that pleading insanity for a lighter sentence in such a situation should be immediately thrown out of the court.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
If they're afraid that their kid is mentally unstable, setting up cameras doesn't exact stop him. In fact it would barely deter him; if he commits some heinous crime, having video evidence of it being committed isn't exactly preventative measures. I might be parroting others, but they completely missed the logical first step when dealing with children like that. You know, getting psychiatric help?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Jiefu said:
"He said he just heard over and over in his head that he would be able to do whatever he wanted if he killed his parents."

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhh, it wasn't the video games. This kid is clearly mentally ill. He needed psychiatric care, not a surveillance system.
No no no no no, obviously it's mind control by Shigeru Miyamoto. Video games are Satan's games!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The discussion that SHOULD be rising out of this is "Why are parents afraid of getting counselling for their kid?"

Or, if relevant, "If the parents sent their kid to counselling, why did it fail so badly?"

Sep 14, 2009
torno said:
Uh...
Assuming they aren't just substituting the word "unlocked" with something more spicy, someone with a gun safe, tell me: Exactly how easy is it to physically PRY open of these open?
yeah i'm thinking that's poor word placement...more like "lockbox"

a fucking safe uses the word "safe" for a reason...plasma cutters or some sort of bulldozer is needed to "pry" open a safe, unless this kid is solomon grundy

OT: kids a psychopath plain and simple, using video games as the scapegoat will get him off easy.

also, if they hooked up a damn surveillence system, you'd think the dad would have a thought along the lines of "hm..maybe i should keep my gun(s) in a guaranteed safe place that he can't get to them without me knowing"

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
You know, if you exchange the 'videogames' parts and swap it with 'guns', swap 'parents' with 'the government' and 'teenager' with 'wacko gun nut' it sounds like what lots of gun owners say they will do if assault rifles get banned. Just saying.

Anyway, this kid sounds like he has genuine mental problems if he is hearing voices in his head. Don't blame the games, blame the brain. The only time I have heard voices in my head whilst playing violent games is when I had the Xbox Live headset on.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Lionsfan said:
SkarKrow said:
torno said:
Uh...

Not necessarily insane. Decidely psychotic though and clearly unsafe to be around normal people, but you can be a psychopath and be sane. The two are not mutually exclusive things.

I was saying that pleading insanity for a lighter sentence in such a situation should be immediately thrown out of the court.
I don't think insanity sentences work the way you say they do. Pleading insanity might get you less prison time, but that doesn't mean you can just walk out of a psychiatric hospital after a year either. I can't recall where exactly I read it, but people who plead insanity, and receive it, usually end up spending twice as long in a hospital, than if they were just to go to prison alone

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, either he's completely fucking mental and needs SERIOUS help, or he's completely sane and needs to be locked away for the safety of the general public. Pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

Now excuse me while I go somewhere not completely depressing.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Lionsfan said:
SkarKrow said:
Lionsfan said:
SkarKrow said:
torno said:
Uh...

I don't think insanity sentences work the way you say they do. Pleading insanity might get you less prison time, but that doesn't mean you can just walk out of a psychiatric hospital after a year either. I can't recall where exactly I read it, but people who plead insanity, and receive it, usually end up spending twice as long in a hospital, than if they were just to go to prison alone
I'd rather spend a longer time in a psychiatric hospital than an american prison if I'm honest.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
Call me stupid if you like, but why would him being insane give him LESS of a punishment? As far as I'm concerned, that's a good reason to get the fuck out of the Gene pool that is the human race. Ok, I'm being too mean. He should go into a psychiatric ward, or prison. It doesn't matter in the end, they both treat you the same when you get down to it.

Also, the kids "Frontal Lobe" isn't fully developed (which is what my psychiatrist used to say to me, and I'm not even insane!) so he doesn't know shit about what was influencing him.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Video games do not cause those feelings. Those feelings are there already.