EU Backs Games But Wants A "Red Button"

Feb 13, 2008
EU Backs Games But Wants A "Red Button"

A new report adopted by the European parliament committee backs games for children, but says parents need help policing how and when they are played.

The report by Dutch Politician Toine Manders [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toine_Manders], which was adopted by the Internal Market Committee on Wednesday, found that games can help instill facts in children and encourage the use of important skills such as creativity, cooperation and strategic reflection.

Overall it said games have a "broadly beneficial effect" on the mental development of children, although its research also shows that over half the children playing are unsupervised.

This is where the study called for the "red button," so inappropriate games can be disabled, adding that parents needed more help policing which games their children play and for how long.

The report backed the European Pan European Game Information [http://www.pegi.info/en/index/] system (PEGI) and called for it to be strengthened and win more support from member nations.

PEGI is a voluntary system where game designers give their own age ratings to games, something that has already been backed up by the games responsibility to advertising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.86506].

The committee proposed that, while work was going on to improve PEGI and extend its oversight to online games, consoles and computers and games could be outfitted with a "red button" to turn off a machine or disable a game.

Of course, as with all child-proof technology, they're going to learn how to use it far faster than we are.

Source BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7885569.stm]
(image) [http://awaregeek.com/tag/funny-stuff/page/2/]

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
I thought next gen consoles already had "child proofing" features ?
Well I know my PS3 has anyway.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
so... instead of Monitoring what the children are doing, they would rather try and Improve Child Proofing Features...

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, don't most game consoles have a feature to block games of a certain rating? I know my 360 does.

DragunovHUN

Jan 10, 2009
Umm, i thought age ratings were enough of a guideline for parents. In theory of course, since most of them are ignorant and complain about game violence instead of simply not buying 18+ rated games for their kids.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Oh what parents will do to get out of being 'responisble' parents. Heck when I was in school, I got 1 hour a day on school nights and no later than 7pm on weekends.
And that was the 'LAW' in my house. Granted I play alot more 'now' but I see how it benefitted my personality back when I hated the world and things were 'stoopid' and I wanted to yell at everything like the lovely teenager I was. That much unsocial interaction could have made me a bit worse off I figure, and I wouldn't have stuck with my drawings and studies as much as I did.

So yeah, thanks mum and dad for doing what most parents don't do, take some initiative to tell your child "thats the way it's gonna be, junior." Instead of relying on the cold and unfeeling hand of politics and corporations to do the job the easy way.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
It brings a tear to my eye when I see the little kid of about 8 being bought the latest GTA because it's a game, and must be a toy for children. It's morons like that who have made us need child proofing.

Edit: like the above post - thanks to my dad who said I can play games but only if I can prove I'm mature enough to handle the content of them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I thought the last 60 years of human history were entirely about stopping adults from pushing the Red Button. Now the EU wants everyone to have one? Madness! Madness I tells thee!

Feb 13, 2008
There is a good point to this though that the EU actually say that games are good, publishers are responsible but the onus is on the parents.

Unfortunately parenting doesn't come with a theory test, only the practical.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
MA7743W said:
I thought next gen consoles already had "child proofing" features ?
Well I know my PS3 has anyway.
So does the Xbox 360, wich also allows parents to set how long children are allowed to play.

Also, you could look at the PEGI Sign on the front of the cover where the recommended age is printed on.

Hell, most of the time you can just look at the cover art to tell if a game is appropriate for children. (Hint: When you see a gun on the cover, the game is probably violent)

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
That's pretty interesting. I don't know why the insist on putting a killswitch on games instead of just educating parents.

Also, is that a real USB Red Button device thingy. Because I would love to have a big red button to be able to plug into my computer.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
No, a red button would be too complicated. Maybe they are color blind and can't find the button.

Guess what, the simpler you make "the button" the easier it will be for your kids to defeat. The solution is to stop being such a soccer mom dingbat and learn about the technology instead of blowing it off.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
A button to turn off the console has been standard-issue since, I think, the Magnavox Odyssey. Granted, not all of them have been red....

Feb 13, 2008
DirkGently said:
That's pretty interesting. I don't know why the insist on putting a killswitch on games instead of just educating parents.

Also, is that a real USB Red Button device thingy. Because I would love to have a big red button to be able to plug into my computer.
Click the image link at the bottom of the post :)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Before I left for university (and even when I'm visiting home), my family had a rule where I could only play games for one hour, then I had to give it a break of about three/four again before I could carry on playing. My dad would come in and switch the console off without me saving if I tried to break the rule. Otherwise, they were pretty lenient (my mom was a bit of a casual gamer herself, she actually borrowed my DS until Easter when I went home for Christmas just gone). They actually bought GTA3 and Vice City for my younger brother (he was 14 at the time, 16 now), although he couldn't go to his friends house to play it until after they bought it for him themselves. I suppose they were just trying really to let us have some freedom, yet still police us to a certain extent. That said, they would go barmy if I ever bought Manhunt (not that I will, sick depraved game that it is...).

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
so they want a parental controll toolbar...kinda like all PCs & im pretty sure all current gen consoles have? Whiles its great & all that to hear politicians saying games can be beneficial; it would be nice if just once they'd give the impression any of them ever played the damn things.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I have a big red button, different purpose mind you though

No, not for nuclear missles. It's for the Rift Generator. We all know the Scrin pwn.