EU Backs Games But Wants A "Red Button"

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
Charli said:
So yeah, thanks mum and dad for doing what most parents don't do, take some initiative to tell your child "thats the way it's gonna be, junior." Instead of relying on the cold and unfeeling hand of politics and corporations to do the job the easy way.
This.

To quote "Thank you for smoking" (great movie btw):
"Gentlemen, it's called education. It doesn't come off the side of a cigarette carton. It comes from our teachers, and more importantly, our parents.
It is the job of every parent to warn their children of all the dangers of the world including cigarettes, so that one day when they get older, they can choose for themselves."

Replace "cigarrettes" with "games" and you've got my point of view.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I really dont understand the issue.
They want a RED BUTTON to turn off the game or console to restrict how long their child plays on them.
Now I don't know if they mean a PHYSICAL red button that will kill the power or exit the game.
Or a red button SOFTWARE that sets a timer on how long the child plays.

But any parent who really cares, would first set a limit to how long their child can play games for, then when they have played for the set limit, the parent says "Times up" and turns off the console.

As for parental control, try controlling what your kid is playing by LOOKING AT THE COVER.
I'm looking at the back of the GTA4 box (PS3 Version) and I can see:

An 18 Certificate. A box clearly stating "Contains strong violence, very strong language, sex and drugs references.

That should be enough information for a parent to decide on wether or not their child can play it.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
What the hell is wrong with parents just doing what they're supposed to do and actually dictate to the child how long they can play games for?

When I was a kid I was allowed an hour a day (two if the weather sucked, and this being England you could guarantee that every weekend it would) and that was it. Why not just make parents be parents instead of relying on an electronic nanny?

And still they yammer on about age rating advice for parents. LOOK AT THE BOX YOU DUMB BUGGERS!!! IT'S PRITNED ON THERE!!!

Consoles this gen already have parental controls but, and you know this must seem like a crazy idea to some of the dummys that partake in parenting and government, why not use that power button on the front that, you know, turns the bloody thing off?

Ooh I'm good and angry now, need to go blow something up.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Some times my 360 decides that none of my games are appropriate to play ever, then it has 3 red lights around a button, does this count as a red button?

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Is there actually somewhere that you can buy that USB button from, though? (The site at the image link doesn't really seem to go anywhere.) Edit: found somewhere, never mind.

I did find another device along similar lines [http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/japanfan/9116/] a while back, but sadly that's just a hub -- while it has sound effects it doesn't let anything actually happen on the PC when the button is pushed.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
PC Games would be a main problem. There is no proofing feature other than deleting and hiding a game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
x434343 said:
PC Games would be a main problem. There is no proofing feature other than deleting and hiding a game.
Or not letting them get it?

Frankly, if your child can get themselves to the store and blow $50 of their own money without any help from you, you need to rethink your setup.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
johnx61 said:
Remember the V-Chip scene from South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut?

Yah, that's coming sooner then you think.
Obviously.

You know. It pisses me off more than anything when parents aren't able to actually be parents. I know there isn't a recipe following the kids when they're born. But that doesn't mean you're not allowed to use your damn head!

Seriously, they got to get out of this "the-government-should-do-my-job-for-me" mentality. It's not helping anyone. Especially not the onew who want their kids educated and raised properly. For that to happen, you need to do something yourself. The schools and electronic features are not there to do your job for you. Sure, the school should be able to withstrain the rules you've set. But you, as a parent are the one who's supposed to set it. It shits me to tears. It seriously does. The worst thing about it, is that they don't even realize how stupid they are themselves. Thus leaving no hope for their coming generation. These kids will most likely grow up to become morons or arseholes, just becuase their parents weren't able to do a proper job

Now this might sound a bit arrogant, because .. Well I'll admit that I think I was raised excelent. I don't think I could have been raised better. None of the five of us could. I mean, my father tried to make me play more games. And I did. To some extend, because I was raised in such a good way, that even my father wanting me to play games didn't mean I would play them for hours to end (My father didn't try to interfere with the "program", he just knew I would become more interested, and still not use hours in front of the TV). And that was good. That was a good way of raising us. But back on what I was saying. I honestly think it should be possible to use your common sense when raising childre. You should know that you're in charge. And if you're using your common sense, then the raisin should be like a walk in the park.

Just my two cents on the topic

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
I thought that it had something to do with that "Red Button" badge I've suddenly found myself with.

It appears, however, that I was wrong, so sadly I have nothing constructive to add here. Sorry for bothering everyone.

OH GOD HE'S EVERYWHERE WHY WON'T HE GO AWAY STOP LOOKING AT ME ALREADY I SWEAR I DIDN'T WANT TO CAUSE ANY TROUBLE JUST GO AWAY AND STOP STARING AT ME