Deus Ex Mankind Divided Review - I Definitely Asked for This

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Deus Ex Mankind Divided Review - I Definitely Asked for This

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a thrilling, suspenseful game that holds a mirror up to our own world without losing track of its own.

Read Full Article

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Personally never considered for one second using the word "apartheid" was in any way contentious or "edgy" in a work of art, if you want to depict or talk about it you are of course entirely free to do so, but good to see we didn't get this played out to its "one star, morality police say no" conclusion, as has happened in the past. Nice to see the "-ism" hysteria that so gripped the hobby is finding more reasonable expression.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Holy crap! This site still does indepth reviews! There is life in the ole girl yet, now we must nurture this progress carefully.

"Anti-illuminati" Hmm, try saying that ten times in a row really fast while drunk. Well, the drunk part isn't a requirement, it merely numbs the pain of the imminent failure and shame. (Also my phone refused to acknowledge "illuminati" as a word in autocorrect...CONSPIRACIES!!! I'm onto their dirty tricks now!)

One thing that worries me is when you mention the abrupt ending with unanswered question/s. That is reminding me of what Jim Sterling once mentioned from a source that squeenix were planning on splitting up the deus ex storyline into separate games for more juicy profits. It would be interesting if he could update on that at some point. I find Squeenix to be consistently shady.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Now if only it didn't unlock at 18:00 CEST on Steam. Last time I had to endure this crap was with Mass Effect 3 release, all hail the glorious DRM!

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Imre Csete said:
Now if only it didn't unlock at 18:00 CEST on Steam. Last time I had to endure this crap was with Mass Effect 3 release, all hail the glorious DRM!
I am sitting here... waiting.... it's getting pretty solid reviews across the board, so pre-load it is. 😊

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can't wait to get my hands on this. I spent what little time I had over the weekend replaying DXHR, the Director Cut since I never played it like that. I love it so much, I simply can't wait for more DX freshness.

The bit about Mechanical Apartheid: Based on what we know of the games story, it's appropriate. Just like "Aug Lives Matter" is actually appropriate in this game. I hate this whole culture we have in the west where something is off limits if it also is something that has happened or is happening in real life. It's just BS that race-baiters use to contribute to their narrative about how incredibly racist everyone is. I also have little faith in America's education system. Part of me wonders of some kids aren't going to see something like "mechanical apartheid", wonder what they are talking about, then go and teach themselves about it since the schools do such a shit job at it. Don't get me wrong, US education isn't the bottom of the barrel as it's made out to be (thanks internet, you contribute so much to every conversation), but the fact is there is too much for any school system to teach people. If something gets said that makes people seek out the knowledge on their own, then that cannot be a bad thing. I know for a fact that any knowledge I have sought out rather than had thrust upon me is much better learned.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Holy crap! This site still does indepth reviews! There is life in the ole girl yet, now we must nurture this progress carefully.

"Anti-illuminati" Hmm, try saying that ten times in a row really fast while drunk. Well, the drunk part isn't a requirement, it merely numbs the pain of the imminent failure and shame. (Also my phone refused to acknowledge "illuminati" as a word in autocorrect...CONSPIRACIES!!! I'm onto their dirty tricks now!)

One thing that worries me is when you mention the abrupt ending with unanswered question/s. That is reminding me of what Jim Sterling once mentioned from a source that squeenix were planning on splitting up the deus ex storyline into separate games for more juicy profits. It would be interesting if he could update on that at some point. I find Squeenix to be consistently shady.
It's not a conspiracy IF IT'S TRUE!

I hope they aren't breaking it up because I don't think I can wait another 4 years for more of it, haha. I think maybe one of the mentioned Story DLC's will add to it... unless they are going to force another replay because they are someplace in the middle of the game. That would be a dirty trick.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm really happy to hear it was good. This is one of the few game series that I replay every couple years.

My question is did they fudge up the PC release?

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
What would you call a mechanical apartheid, other than a "mechanical apartheid"?

Maybe my vocabulary is just insufficient.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
wizzy555 said:
What would you call a mechanical apartheid, other than a "mechanical apartheid"?

It's essentially a term for segregation used in parts of Africa to sort out those that are inferior. So a number of things similar to terms used commonly in the 50's and 60's when the civil rights movement was really starting to take off.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Enquirer said:
I like to think Our Lord and Master Totalbiscuit would have said something on Twitter about it if something was wrong.

And he has no remarks about performance, just a game breaking geometry bug that will likely be fixed before tomorrow.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
The Enquirer said:
wizzy555 said:

It's essentially a term for segregation used in parts of Africa to sort out those that are inferior. So a number of things similar to terms used commonly in the 50's and 60's when the civil rights movement was really starting to take off.
Specifically, "apartheid" refers to a situation in which a minority group (based on demographic statistics) rules over a majority group. In the case of South Africa pre-1990s, that meant a relatively small group of white inhabitants (of Dutch and English descent) ruled over the native Africans, who formed a vastly larger percentage of the population.

Segregation, at least in the American sense, is more that a majority unfairly rules over a minority. In the US, white citizens held the power over the minority of black citizens, going so far as to separate people from institutions based on race. The two are related, but it's vital that the power dynamic be realized. In the end, both are about under-represented groups, but it depends on whether the groups that are under-represented are in the majority or minority.

So, the term "mechanical apartheid" pretty clearly means that the people with cybernetic augmentations are a minority overall, but still hold the majority of the power.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Ironman126 said:
The Enquirer said:
wizzy555 said:

Specifically, "apartheid" refers to a situation in which a minority group (based on demographic statistics) rules over a majority group. In the case of South Africa pre-1990s, that meant a relatively small group of white inhabitants (of Dutch and English descent) ruled over the native Africans, who formed a vastly larger percentage of the population.

Segregation, at least in the American sense, is more that a majority unfairly rules over a minority. In the US, white citizens held the power over the minority of black citizens, going so far as to separate people from institutions based on race. The two are related, but it's vital that the power dynamic be realized. In the end, both are about under-represented groups, but it depends on whether the groups that are under-represented are in the majority or minority.

So, the term "mechanical apartheid" pretty clearly means that the people with cybernetic augmentations are a minority overall, but still hold the majority of the power.
That's a much better description than what I had given. Thanks for that!

Jan 19, 2016
The Enquirer said:
I'm really happy to hear it was good. This is one of the few game series that I replay every couple years.

Early benchmarks suggest it's very demanding on hardware if you want to crank up the graphics (albeit with pre-release drivers). Don't expect 1080/60 on ultra, even with a GTX1080 (SLI scaling is decent, apparently). If you don't mind lowering a few settings, it should run fine on any recent enthusiast cards.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Bilious Green said:
The Enquirer said:

Early benchmarks suggest it's very demanding on hardware if you want to crank up the graphics (albeit with pre-release drivers). Don't expect 1080/60 on ultra, even with a GTX1080 (SLI scaling is decent, apparently). If you don't mind lowering a few settings, it should run fine on any recent enthusiast cards.
I've got a 980ti so I should be pretty good then since it's a decent amount quicker. I was more concerned with them really fucking the game over Arkham Knight style simply because so many games I've wanted to buy recently have had this be the case.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i didnt really had any doubt that the game will be bad, but i hold back until a GOTY version is available as they did with the last title. also, the pre order has only a few tracks instead of the full soundtrack, isnt really worth my money. they did this crap with the 2013 tomb raider and in the end i had to buy the entire soundtrack because it was cheaper than buying the missing songs individually.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
"Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has a little bit of something for everyone. It's a must-have, must-play masterpiece, marred only by a somewhat unfulfilling finale. The industry feels a little bit better now that this game is a part of it."

Sounds like an overview for the first game, minus "except for the crap boss-fights" lol

All-in-all, pretty excited to play this eventually.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I will have to attempt to run this game rolling my old GT755M. It did run Doom which has a higher minimum requirement of a 670 over DX's 660..... so my fingers are crossed tight that it's playable for most part.