141: How to Interview the Dead

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
Excellent.

Too often I find people whose profession is writing who can't bloody write. This is an intriguing and beautiful piece, with greater depth than the average Escapist piece. I expect to still be thinking about it later, whereas with most articles I've stopped thinking about them before I even finish.

Please don't be put off by the people who need to levy various accusations which in the end all mean, "I don't geddit". These are of the type that found Shadow of the Colossus dull. How about using your fucking mind for five minutes?

-Bimbley

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
There's a saying: Those who write clearly have readers, while those who write obscurely have commentators.

This took me back to one of my film classes, namely the French New Wave section when our film in question was Pierrot le Fou. The lead thinks himself the sole observer to a kind of metaphysical/cultural pandemic and relates his observations and rebellious intentions through a rambling stream of obscure cultural and literary references all delivered with a kind of detached smugness that's intended to alienate rather than enlighten, despite him saying his intentions are otherwise. In the end, he ties sticks of dynamite to his head and lights the fuse.

I guess what I'm saying here is that whatever genius may have resided in this article was crushed under a heaving pile of pretentiousness.

Clark Kent will never join the football team, never walk home from school at more than a normal pace, never leave the Kent farm, never leave Smallville, and never fly.

Oh, and the cynical jerk in me wants to add: "I feel encouraged by this article; I mean, if this can get published, how bad can my chances possibly be?"

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
matsugawa said:
Oh, and the cynical jerk in me wants to add: "I feel encouraged by this article; I mean, if this can get published, how bad can my chances possibly be?"
Yeah, I tried something way off track with this piece and it didn't work how I'd hoped. The Escapist (namely Russ) were generous enough to give me a lot of leeway in 2008, which led to some pretty fun times alongside the missteps - hope the cynical jerk in you gets to experience that at some point, when you're writing for a living.

Cheers

Colin