Ben Affleck Will Not Direct The Batman

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Ben Affleck Will Not Direct The Batman

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1379/1379020.jpg

Affleck will not direct The Batman, but will continue to play the caped crusader.

The DC Extended Universe continues to have production struggles as its filmmakers tries to figure out a way to please both audiences and critics. As soon as it was announced that Variety [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ben+affleck] first reported, he is now out of the director's chair for the movie.

Ben Affleck issued a statement on the matter:

Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.

Warner Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warner+bros] also issued a statement:

Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck's decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life.

One has to wonder if the financial failure of Affleck's reportedly going to lose Warner Bros. approximately $75 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/17386-Live-By-Night-2016-Ben-Affleck-Gangster-Movie-Review].

No new director has been announced at this time.

The next time we'll see Affleck playing Batman will be in Justice League, which is scheduled to be released on November 17, 2017.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/]

[gallery=6883]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And insert joke here about losing $85 million, but Bruce Wayne being a millionarie who covers it on his bat credit card and yadda yadda yadda.

So, let's see...according to rumour, Wonder Woman will be a disaster (skeptical), Justice League will be a disaster (looks like it in the trailers), The Flash is being rewritten from the ground up alongside having changed directors numerous times, The Batman is in iffy territory, and Aquaman is...possibly okay? Could go on further, but, well, yeah.

Well, maybe there's some fun to be had in watching the world burn. Or DCEU in this case.

Least Power Rangers might be fun?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
No director, and January is almost over. They haven't even started filming yet. If this movie gets an aggregated score higher than 50 I will be surprised.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
008Zulu said:
No director, and January is almost over. They haven't even started filming yet. If this movie gets an aggregated score higher than 50 I will be surprised.
Do we have any confirmation that it's at least written yet?

Personally while I hate everything DC has been up to since BvS with their live action movies, I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a delay here in the off chance they finally put out a decent movie or if they try to rush it out to continue playing catch up with Marvel and flop again, then fail to figure out why.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
TheRundownRabbit said:
Hawki said:
Least Power Rangers might be fun?
To me, that movie hinges 100% on the megazords
Heh, I'm torn on that.

On the pro side, I love the look of the individual zords, and that they'll actually be used by their lonesome, something that in MMPR, happened...twice, I think?

On the other hand, the Megazord itself looks weird. In keeping with the movie's aesthetic, but weird all the same.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
008Zulu said:
The Enquirer said:
Do we have any confirmation that it's at least written yet?
The writing of the script is scheduled to start 6 weeks before filming commences.
Wait, and this is actually fucking confirmed?

So I did a little research. BvS started filming almost 2 and a half years before release. TWO AND A HALF YEARS. Even with Suicide Squad they gave themselves about 16 months. If they were to start writing it tomorrow, that'd leave them with about 9 months for everything if the 6 week time span is true. And we know it's less than that because they need to distribute what I'm guessing will be a steaming pile of crap wearing a cape.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Considering how much I don't care about the DC cinematic universe, why not give the director's chair to one of the biggest Batman fans out there - Kevin Smith? Even if he fucks it up who cares?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Enquirer said:
No, it was joke. About how Suicide Squad was written in 6 weeks. Because Warner Bros. don't know what they are doing, being the overall punchline.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
Considering how much I don't care about the DC cinematic universe, why not give the director's chair to one of the biggest Batman fans out there - Kevin Smith? Even if he fucks it up who cares?
Ew.

Kevin Smith is too nerdy and lacks any dramatic depth to make a serious Batman movie.

He probably will make it like Adam West Batman or the Upcoming Lego Batman movie :p

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Eh, I could see this as not necessarily an indicator of the films failure. I assume it must be excruciatingly difficult to be 100% in charge of a MAJOR big budget film. He's still writing, producing and starring, he probably just wants to take some of the pressure off himself (especially after the Live by Night beating he just took). I'm still optimistic (or at least, no less optimistic then I was before).

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
My dream is that DC gives up and moves all their movies over to the animated division. Just let Bruce Timm and co. crank out more stuff like TDKR, and Under the Red Hood. I want a Hush movie so bad.

Either that or just make some fucking movies that pay homage to the legitimately good storylines and characters the comics have done all the heavy lifting for.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Ew.

Kevin Smith is too nerdy and lacks any dramatic depth to make a serious Batman movie.

He probably will make it like Adam West Batman or the Upcoming Lego Batman movie :p
Actually one of my all time favorite comics was written by him and adopted from a movie script that never got made because he was too afraid to make it. Personally I think he could do a great job.

It has humor in it, and to an extent even the campiness of the 60s Batman series, but the whole thing is very self aware so that's why it works so well and the moments that require it, still have the weight and emotional depth needed.

008Zulu said:
The Enquirer said:
No, it was joke. About how Suicide Squad was written in 6 weeks. Because Warner Bros. don't know what they are doing, being the overall punchline.
Fair enough. It went right over my head because let's face it, at this point who wouldn't put it past WB to do something like that?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
The Enquirer said:
Actually one of my all time favorite comics was written by him and adopted from a movie script that never got made because he was too afraid to make it. Personally I think he could do a great job.

It has humor in it, and to an extent even the campiness of the 60s Batman series, but the whole thing is very self aware so that's why it works so well and the moments that require it, still have the weight and emotional depth needed.
I like Kevin Smith as well, and even though I'm not sure he has the chops for a project of this size, I agree with you in spirit. WB needs to put people at the helm who are willing to geek out and honor the source material. Some enthusiasm and interest in the characters and the medium would go a long way in getting the DCEU on track.

Of course, I figured putting Geoff Johns in charge would do that but... time will tell.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The Enquirer said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Ew.

It has humor in it, and to an extent even the campiness of the 60s Batman series, but the whole thing is very self aware so that's why it works so well and the moments that require it.

Hence its nerdy. I hate Self Awareness.