Beyond Good & Evil 2 Demo Shows Off 14 Minutes of Gameplay Footage Hosted by Michel Ancel

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Beyond Good & Evil 2 Demo Shows Off 14 Minutes of Gameplay Footage Hosted by Michel Ancel

Ubisoft has released a 14-minute gameplay demo of Beyond Good & Evil 2 that's hosted by series creator Michel Ancel.

After the surprise inclusion of a day zero of development [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170540-Beyond-Good-Evil-2-Trailer-Ubisoft-E3-2017]." But it looks like there is a little more to see, as Ubi has released a demo hosted by Ancel that runs over 14 minutes.

As you can see, there are plenty of ships, and the smaller ships can fit inside the larger ones. You can also hop out and explore the entire interior of the ships you see. Ancel demonstrates how ship flight works, and explains the importance of the technology that powers the game.

Most impressive is the scale of the game. Parking the monkey character from the trailer atop the large Ganehsa statue makes him appear tiny, but when Ancel zooms out, you see that statue is just a tiny bit of a city, that's a tiny bit of a continent and a planet.

While there's not even a rough estimate of when the game might be ready, Ubisoft is inviting players to join its "Space Monkey Program" to get involved in the game's development. You can find more details at the official Beyond Good & Evil 2 website [https://bgegame.com/].

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Makes a better impression than the whole trailer.

I wonder what parts of the features shown will make it into the game.

Also, a crater of that magnitude looks like a hit that would wipe out any story potential on that planet, ever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Michel Ancel seems like a decent sort of fellow, but right now I want to repeatedly slap him about the face with a copy of No Man's Sky while screaming, "What are you doing!?"

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
See, this is interesting. Next time have this be your after trailer show, you know just showing bits and bobs after the trailer finished.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That's a nice looking tech demo, but given their Day 0 statement I give that about a 20% chance of making into the final game.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I look forward to the Xbox One experience of BG&E2; vastly inferior draw distance, a crisp 23-30fps, and worse lighting.

...provided any of the demonstrated 'features' make it into the actual game.

Jacked Assassin said:
IF this has a create an anthro option instead of just create a human I would be willing to preorder.
Knowing I can create a human character - or any character that isn't the sweary monkey, frankly - is reason enough to--- well, not consider pre-order's 'cause they're evil terrible, but it takes the edge off of my loathing of the CG trailer, at least. I'd still just rather have Jade as a lead, of course.

Though I suppose creating a non-human character would be nice, too, particularly given Mass Effect seems intent on never allowing you to pick a species.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Never played the first game, never even seen gameplay of it. Didn't really get hooked on the trailer at E3, looked alright.

But this? Well, if they can pull off most of what they've listed here, they'd have my attention, and probably my purchase, if it all came together well.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well that looks damn impressive. I hope that makes it to the full game.

Chefsbrian said:
Never played the first game, never even seen gameplay of it.
Get it on Steam now for literal pocket change. No uPlay attached.

If any bugs appear, consult the PC Gaming Master Wiki [https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Beyond_Good_%26_Evil] for fixes.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Zhukov said:
Michel Ancel seems like a decent sort of fellow, but right now I want to repeatedly slap him about the face with a copy of No Man's Sky while screaming, "What are you doing!?"
Heh. No Mon's Key.

I guess the first wanted to be Zelda, they intend to make the new one Breath of the Wild.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saelune said:
Remember, "Day 0 of Development".
Ukomba said:
That's a nice looking tech demo, but given their Day 0 statement I give that about a 20% chance of making into the final game.
Day Zero of Development =/= zero work done on the project

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Saelune said:
Remember, "Day 0 of Development".
Ukomba said:
Day Zero of Development =/= zero work done on the project

I mean...does anyone around here, on this video game forum, understand the basics of game design and development?

Why am I even asking?
As someone else pointed out, No Man's Sky.

This game has been in development hell for awhile. Anything you get will most likely be garbage.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saelune said:
Okay. But this isn't No Man's Sky. It's presumptive to assume the game will end up the same.

NMS had a tiny, under-funded team at a small, indie studio. BG&E2 has a larger studio, larger team, and larger budget. It already has several advantages NMS didn't have.

Also, what does that have to do with the general misunderstanding of what 'day zero development' means?

This game has been in development hell for awhile.
I don't get this. What's this based on? I've heard numerous people say this but I'm yet to see anything that backs it up.

From what's been discussed by Ancel, it wasn't in 'development hell', but rather a hiatus while an engineering team worked out some sort of custom engine.

Whether that's true or not I have no idea. But it at least has more evidence than the other claims I've been hearing.

Anything you get will most likely be garbage.
I mean, you're free to make the assumption if you want. I prefer to take the more reasonable approach and withhold judgement until the final product is released.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Saelune said:
Okay. But this isn't No Man's Sky. It's presumptive to assume the game will end up the same.

NMS had a tiny, under-funded team at a small, indie studio. BG&E2 has a larger studio, larger team, and larger budget. It already has several advantages NMS didn't have.

Also, what does that have to do with the general misunderstanding of what 'day zero development' means?

This game has been in development hell for awhile.
I don't get this. What's this based on? I've heard numerous people say this but I'm yet to see anything that backs it up.

From what's been discussed by Ancel, it wasn't in 'development hell', but rather a hiatus while an engineering team worked out some sort of custom engine.

Whether that's true or not I have no idea. But it at least has more evidence than the other claims I've been hearing.

Anything you get will most likely be garbage.
I mean, you're free to make the assumption if you want. I prefer to take the more reasonable approach and withhold judgement until the final product is released.
My approach is reasonable. I am not pulling this all out of my ass. I am going based on past games that have been in uncertain development for long periods of time and their constant failings, and the over-hyping and poorly considered marketing to inform my judgement.

I hope the game is good. But I am given no reason to think it will be.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saelune said:
My approach is reasonable. I am not pulling this all out of my ass.
Phew, good. That'd be icky.

I am going based on past games
There was one. <.<

Or are you making an assumption about a game that hasn't been finished based on the failings of completely non-associated games in the past? Because, if so...that's pretty unreasonable.

that have been in uncertain development for long periods of time and their constant failings,
So it IS based on other games' failings? Yeah, that's unreasonable.

and the over-hyping and poorly considered marketing to inform my judgement.
Besides a trailer (two, if we count the one from years ago), what 'marketing' has taken place?

Right, but that's the actual reasonable stance to take. A 'hope for the best but wait and see' approach. It is not the one you took when you said:
Saelune said:
This game has been in development hell for awhile. Anything you get will most likely be garbage.
:/

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Saelune said:
My approach is reasonable. I am not pulling this all out of my ass.
Phew, good. That'd be icky.

I am going based on past games
There was one. <.<

Or are you making an assumption about a game that hasn't been finished based on the failings of completely non-associated games in the past? Because, if so...that's pretty unreasonable.

that have been in uncertain development for long periods of time and their constant failings,
So it IS based on other games' failings? Yeah, that's unreasonable.

and the over-hyping and poorly considered marketing to inform my judgement.
Besides a trailer (two, if we count the one from years ago), what 'marketing' has taken place?

Right, but that's the actual reasonable stance to take. A 'hope for the best but wait and see' approach. It is not the one you took when you said:
Saelune said:
:/
Whatever dude. I dont care enough to keep going.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saelune said:
So basically, "I just wanna be angry about a thing."

'Kay. I'll let ya do that. Seems to be the default state of this forum anyway. After all, people got legitimately angry over a surprise reveal trailer.

Have a good day. :)

<3

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Saelune said:
So basically, "I just wanna be angry about a thing."

'Kay. I'll let ya do that. Seems to be the default state of this forum anyway. After all, people got legitimately angry over a surprise reveal trailer.

Have a good day. :)

<3
I dont want to turn this into "who can get the last word" but you dont need to be snippy about it.

I dont care about the game, I am just cynical and doubtful. I hope the game is great, cause even if I dont care about it personally, I can relate if a game I did like got a sequel and dont want the fans to suffer. I have good reason to think the game will be bad, whether you agree with it or not. If you want to disagree then do, I hope you love the game, but dont be rude.