360 Outsells PS3 & Wii in Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
360 Outsells PS3 & Wii in Japan

The Xbox 360 was the top-selling console in Japan last week, beating out the PS3 and Wii by a healthy margin. In other news, the moon reportedly glowed red, rivers ran with blood, and a horse gave birth to a litter of pythons.

According to Japanese hardware sales tracker Media Create [http://www.m-create.com/ranking/], not only did the 360 move more units last week than either of its competitors, it did so by a fairly wide margin of ten-thousand units - well, wide for Japan, anyway:

Xbox 360 - 25,334
Wii - 16,973
PS3 - 16,149

There are two reasons for the 360's temporary triumph. The most obvious, of course, is the release of Star Ocean 4 - big JRPG titles like Tales of Vesperia have been responsible for the few other times the 360 has pulled ahead of the pack. Less obvious but still a potential factor: the 360 simply has more room to grow than its rivals in the console wars. Fewer people own a 360 than a PS3 or Wii in the Land of the Rising Sun, so bigger spurts might be expected.

Besides, it still got absolutely clobbered by the DSi and the PSP, so no reason to start ringing in the End of Days just yet.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/26/xbox-360-outsells-ps3-in-japan-for-fourth-time-four-horsemen-dr/])

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
x360 was top for a week. Truely this is the coming of the AntiChrist & the End of Days. Ill see you all on the fields of Megiddo for the final battle, Wii-mote in hand!

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
x360 was top for a week. Truely this is the coming of the AntiChrist & the End of Days. Ill see you all on the fields of Megiddo for the final battle, Wii-mote in hand!
your wii mote is inn effective against my 360 controller!!

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I find it weird that for the past two console generations Playstation was the console to get if your were big into JRPGs, but now it's Xbox.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I didn't realize they kept track of this stuff from week to week. I figured that they just totalled sales in a month.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Well that's very surprising, normally something made In the USA rarely, if ever, can make a dent in the Asian market...granted it is only a week, but its still noteworthy.

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
This is awesome news. Finally an American console winning in a foreign country.
won't last long though. as long as all the wii's in japan still work at least. everyone there already has a wii, so sales are bound to slow

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Jman1236 said:
I find it weird that for the past two console generations Playstation was the console to get if your were big into JRPGs, but now it's Xbox.
Big into, yes, but not qualiy. The best JRPG this generation is still Valkyria Chronicles.
I beleive Lost Odyssey to be the best JRPG personally...

Counting week by week is ridculous, as stated the 360 was bound to win once as the PS3 and Wii were selling like crazy but everyone now has one...