147: Team Roomba

Kieron Gillen

Dec 31, 1969
Team Roomba

"Arriving at the initial crest of enthusiasm toward Valve's Team Fortress 2, Team Roomba's video showing an array of petty, hilarious and oft imaginative cruelty was an immediate memetic sensation. Griefing is usually little more than plain sadism; but with the right soundtrack and frame-perfect editing, Team Roomba's videos have turned it into - whisper it - a kind of comedy performance. Or, at least, something other than just being a douchebag."

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
Have to say the Roomba's griefing videos make me ROFL. Although I would kill them if they were on my server.(The 14 year old impression would get IP-banned instantly though, met too many of them already)

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
If I was going to grief somebody I'd just hand the controller to my nephew whose decent at FPS games, then read a copy of 'Finnegan's Wake' into the headset.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Oh Kieron. :')

I discovered Roomba's videos a while back whilst searching for some of Valve's official selection on YouTube. Unlike griefers from other games, Roomba seem to have a unique and charming style about their idiotic ways which makes them that little more bearable to watch. Certainly, some of their acts of insanity are cringe-worthy (especially when the other players react via mics, loudly) but overall they give a better 'performance' than hundreds of other mediocre sadists from around the Internet. Their teamwork, timing and knowledge of the game (glitches and all) are definitely to be admired by fans of the videos and hardcore gamers alike.

Still hate to play with 'em, though.

Finnish(ed)

Mar 16, 2008
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why people play these games. Griefing in any form is even further from anything I would consider even remotely fun. I understand that people can get bored, but wouldn't you rather go for a jog or read a book.

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
Finnish(ed) said:
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why people play these games. Griefing in any form is even further from anything I would consider even remotely fun. I understand that people can get bored, but wouldn't you rather go for a jog or read a book.
"A game subversive is someone who looks at the options in front of him and says, "I'm BORED!" Avoid this at all costs!"-Raph Koster

I'm tempted to just laugh about it myself. These types of people are going to be with us forever and nothing short of out and out civil rights violations is going to get rid of them. Might as well just laugh about it.

Feb 13, 2008
Finnish(ed) said:
Well, take a look at American Idol, The Weakest Link, Wrestling, Political Debates, Punk'd.

We enjoy a good griefing, it's cathartic.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Well, take a look at American Idol, The Weakest Link, Wrestling, Political Debates, Punk'd.

Maybe you do, but I find all of the above and their ilk to be tedious at best and downright disgusting at worst. Though I suppose they're mildly less stupid and cruel than bear baiting and gladiatorials, I don't see the infliction of suffering upon others as entertainment.

-- Steve

Feb 13, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Maybe you do, but I find all of the above and their ilk to be tedious at best and downright disgusting at worst. Though I suppose they're mildly less stupid and cruel than bear baiting and gladiatorials, I don't see the infliction of suffering upon others as entertainment.
-- Steve
If you've never laughed at Tom and Jerry, you haven't lived. It's pure Schaundenfreude.

Actually, what games DO you play that don't involve the tearing apart of some NPC's dreams?
Or does the idea that it's 'real' people fill you so full of horror?

Games are competitive, someone has to lose.

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
You know, Anton, I understand how you feel. You might remember my "Are we getting meaner and nastier" thread in Off-Topic Discussion. I was in a funk just seeing how justified people felt in laughing at other's pain. Just recently I decided to just start laughing at pain so that I could understand it all. All of it, including my own. It's surprising cathartic. For some reason, pain started disappearing. It's amazing, really. Remember this as the Monty Python troupe sang:

"Life's a piece of shit,
When you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.
You'll see it's all a show.
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
And...

Always look on the bright side of life.
Always look on the right side of life."

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
If you've never laughed at Tom and Jerry, you haven't lived. It's pure Schaundenfreude.

Actually, what games DO you play that don't involve the tearing apart of some NPC's dreams?
Or does the idea that it's 'real' people fill you so full of horror?

Games are competitive, someone has to lose.
Last time I checked, neither Tom nor Jerry were real and therefor cannot suffer.

I have no problem beating the tar out of NPCs, or playing games competitively online or in LANs... because I'm not inflicting real suffering on someone. I have no trouble winning or losing a game with someone when the game is played sportingly either, because losing a fair game isn't really injurious if you're even half-way sane.

I do see a serious disconnect in many's minds that somehow you have to *win* a game in order to *enjoy* it; the hell? I'd rather lose a close match than win in a blow-out, myself, because it's the act of playing at the top of my game that I enjoy and not just the victory. A blow-out allows for fewer opportunities to do so than a close result either way.

That some can't tell the difference between losing a match and being griefed makes me wonder at their motives for playing... and who's taking the game too seriously, the one who enjoys a good game or the one who plays because he can make others suffer?

-- Steve

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Why oh why are you trying to encourage further griefing by making these fuckwits look good? This 'Team Roomba' only ruin the fun for everyone else on the server. In fact, all griefers do, but letting them try and make it excusable is just....meh.

CelebrenIthil

Mar 31, 2009
I don't like all the other griefing but the trivia thing was awesome.
They'd totally need to make an event like this or something. It was wonderful to see how the people stuck in the spawn actually forgot their initial anger when they all worked to find the answer. And some were just so proud to have gotten the right answer they'd be all cheered up afterwards, instead of being pissed of! Beautiful! XD

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
It was this article that I first visited the escapist. Man... good times.