de-rez: Hitman

de-rez

Jan 30, 2008
Hitman

Welcome to de-rez, The Escapist's newest video series, where game life and real life converge.

In this episode, Hitman's Agent 47 faces his toughest assignment yet: not looking like an idiot.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
De-rez makes me giggle nervously to myself.

90% of the time I think we all can see the humour, but think it either far too dry or... tries too hard to make the audience laugh at it. A million points for originality, like, and I'm sure the show will evolve with experience. The Escapist is somewhat infamous for trying out new and different things, and this is simply the epitome of that.

I simply believe this is outreaching to a whole new target which is definitely a world apart from the Yahtzee fans. I can't decide if it's really great satire or really God awful acting, that's all.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Well one of the many good things about Yahtzee's reviews is that they are so full of jokes about game design/plot/mechanism flaws in general that even if you don't get all the jokes, the video as a whole will still be funny to any gamer. When its a video that ONLY people who have played Hitman will find funny, you just don't have a broad enough audience.

I'm assuming here that this video would have actually been funny if I had played Hitman. It certainly wasn't without having played it :\

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
The accent made it enjoyable, but I don't think it had a beginning, middle, and end.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Characters who are annoying as hell and try to pass it off as funny never really work on me, I tend to just get annoyed with them.

I'm sure the series will progress, but if every episode comes out like this, I'm not interested.

- J

Hawkzor

Jan 31, 2008
I'm trying to find a synonym for bad that doesn't sound so mean. I hope these movies get better but I really don't think I'll even watch the next one to find out.

Jack Sheehan

Oct 16, 2007
Get better actors. The comedy is all right but it doesn't work without proper timing, which is lacking.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Criticism is great. We love criticism. If you like something, don't like it, whatever. Let us know. Better yet, be constructive and tell us why. But don't log on just to poop on things. Not here. Bad baby.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I guess they're trying to ride the Yahtzee wave and keep on with the funny videos. It didn't do anything for me. The delivery seemed a bit stale, and it was trying too hard. Not a bad concept ( I do like the Street Fighter: Where are They Now? videos ), but it hardly mustered more than a smirk.

And most def' on wanting another Hitman. That series has aged well.

Hawkzor

Jan 31, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Criticism is great. We love criticism. If you like something, don't like it, whatever. Let us know. Better yet, be constructive and tell us why. But don't log on just to poop on things. Not here. Bad baby.
Alright you want a crit. eh?

Overall the movie just screams shot in an afternoon youtube video. What gives it that feel is the use of the camera mic and no production lighting. Also, for example, when 47 comes back as a clown and says "Oi!" the levels jump up and theres that huge "im shooting this in a garage with the mic on my 90$ sony handycam"... sound. Why didn't the camera operator say "the levels jumped lets try that again and ill lower the gain" Because its a shot in an afternoon youtube video (SAYTV). Same goes for at the end when you can hear the wind (or someone blowing?) in the mic. Why not overdub the voice in post and bring in some wind noise? Because its a SAYTV.

The amature acting I can dismiss because its expensive to hire real actors unless your lucky in your friends. The costumes were also pretty good, especially 47's suit. But the lack of production lights really hurts the look of the movie so even if you were shooting in 16mm and had him dressed in a real black Armani suit it wouldn't matter because eveything just looks gray and flat.

On the flat note, theres no separation between the characters and the background, you don't even change the lens type in the close ups, which would be nice considering you didn't light the thing. Also the entire movie is like what? 13 shots? (please don't make me watch it again to check). 13 boring shots (ok 12 because the shot of him lifting with 47 sneaking up dressed as a clown wasn't bad). Come one, you obviously aren't doing very many takes so you should have time to mix it up a bit, move the camera something!

Ill end this now, this feels really long.

immortal88

Nov 7, 2007
Sigh, I'm disappointed that someone was banned over this. I understand that you want constructive criticism and all that, but let's put things into perspective. When something is good, it's ok to just cheer and say that was great, good job. When something is terrible, it should be equally acceptable to just call it for what it is, terrible. Especially when there's no grey area, there's 15 comments and not one person liked it (flip a coin 15 times and tell me how many tries it takes to have all 15 land tails).

The production values are, well they don't exist. As was said before this seems to be shot on a hand cam with no lighting. They didn't seem to bother with multiple takes. The video wasn't particularly funny, with the slight exception of the clown suit sneak, but even that got a smirk at best. As for the guy working out as an intimidating character I had a difficult time buying it. I understand if you have no budget it might be difficult to acquire good actors, but seriously casting that 90 lb stick as a tough guy? I think there was maybe 50 lbs on that bench and he was straining to curl like 15 lbs...

If this makes it to two installments I'll probably watch the second anyway, though I probably shouldn't. I'd say try to fix it, but the best approach might be to scrap it and start over.

And by the way, having played the hitman games does not make this any more funny, so don't feel like you've been left out of the loop.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
I think the most positive thing i can say about this video is that i might now install the Hit Man triple pack i have sitting on my shelf...

The clown suit was quite funny. I did hope that it would end with him killing him though...

calsipher

Feb 1, 2008
Its all ok to dismiss something you don?t like, we all do it from time to time, but i generally think you guys are tearing apart something that is still young and under developed.

Making a successful short whether at home or in a professional situation is incredibly hard and time consuming not to mention expensive, believe me I would know after doing it at university having a few misses and hits and now braving it out in the real world.

Even something short like 5 minutes can take days sometimes weeks to get right even if its a simple idea and the budget can always rocket to unpredicted proportions if you have one at all.

Now I?m not saying its not impossible to make some thing amazing for les then nothing in a short space of time its been done before and will be done again, but for someone like de-rez who is just starting out in unfamiliar waters it can be an incredibly hard and daunting task, especially now that its being broadcasted to the thousands maybe millions of escapist fans and not just the few Youtube browsers that may stumble on it, with little or no budget and basic equipment ( not everyone can go out and buy a full Z1 kit and lighting rig ).

What I?m trying to put across is those that have something negative to say go ahead and say them but think first. Instead of destroying someone?s attempts at creating a short why not offer tips and guidance for camera techniques and angles, how about script ideas and actor dialogue.

Some of you appear to have knowledge on the area so instead of pointing out and laughing at what?s wrong why not offer some help on areas he needs it in.

Well I?m not sure if I?ve wondered of the mark but i must dash work is calling and i have to many screen tests to edit for a Friday.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend

Calsipher