id Confirms Doom 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
id Confirms Doom 4

id Software [http://www.idsoftware.com]has announced that work has begun on Doom 4, and they're looking for help in bringing it all to life.

The Doom developer is looking for "talented, ambitious and passionate" people to join the company and help develop its highly anticipated games. id currently has numerous positions posted on its Careers [http://www.idsoftware.com/business/jobs/index.php]page in areas including art, animation, level design and more.

"Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," id CEO Todd Hollenshead wrote in a message on the company's website [http://www.idsoftware.com/]. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

Unleashed in 1993, Doom 3 [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom-ultimate/]in 2004, which despite its name was an updated re-telling of the original story.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
As much as I'm going to enjoy Doom 4, I can't help but feel that the engine will be full of holes as per Doom 3

Saying that its always been id's purpose to move things forward in games so this is getting my thumbs up.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
I seriously don't hope, that this will be in the vein of doom 3. The original doom and doom 2 were, in my opinion, far more fun than doom 3 was, mainly because doom 3 had you walking around i black corridors, with monsters jumping out of nowhere, in a rather weak attempt to scare you.

Doom remains as the most scary game to date in my book (with the possible exeption of Commander Keen 4, that dopefish still scares the living shit out of me), and certainlky also one of the best. Doom isn't about walking around in ruined facilities, with machineguns and grenades. It's about storming through hell, gunning down cacodemons and imps, with chainguns and and BFG's. And bring back the Spider Mastermind!

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Scypemonk said:
I seriously don't hope, that this will be in the vein of doom 3. The original doom and doom 2 were, in my opinion, far more fun than doom 3 was, mainly because doom 3 had you walking around i black corridors, with monsters jumping out of nowhere, in a rather weak attempt to scare you.
the darkness was overdone and yes there were no 'hordes' that we found in doom and doom 2 but it was essentially doom

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
doom 4 looks cool. i cant wait as doom 1 was my first fps and is m standard for all fps games. having a mac though means i don't play many computer based fps except halo combat evolved and call of duty 2. june 26th i think cod 4 comes out for mac if not its some time round then. back on topic i cant wait for another doom to come out especially as i could never find doom 3 for mac even though apple advertised it at every turn on their website. they never had it in apple stores.

cant wait for doom 4

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I would like to be excited but tbh I think ID are dangerously close to beating a dead horse territory with this. Unless they try something totally unique with it, but im expecting more of the same boxed corridor FPS rigermarole

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
The challenge is a daunting one. How do you meld the feel of classic Doom with modern graphics? They failed miserably with Doom 3, though if you were able to trick yourself into thinking you weren't playing Doom, it was pretty good. Valve successfully transitioned Half Life into the modern age while maintaining the feel of the original. This is ID's principle challenge, hopefully they are up to it.

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
But what will the excuse for uninspired gameplay be this time around? Doom 3 already toted the rationalization that it was simply a re-imagining of the original. In reality the closet monsters and corridor crawling were signs of insipid design. How was it a re-imagining if it was the same thing as last time, but with better graphics?

I think most gamers' expectations have moved beyond shoot'em up simplicity - maybe not the teen Halo-playing crowd, but none of them were around for Doom anyway.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
Maybe to try to appeal to new gamers, they'll go the Guitar Hero route. The fourth game will be IMPOSSIBLY HARD except to those who've been playing Doom for 10 or more years, such as my dad.

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
HalfShadow said:
REDPill357 said:
Maybe to try to appeal to new gamers, they'll go the Guitar Hero route. The fourth game will be IMPOSSIBLY HARD except to those who've been playing Doom for 10 or more years, such as my dad.
Or you'll have to play guitar to kill the demons?
or use the guitar to bash demons?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Considering they were already borrowing heavily from 'System Shock 2' for delivering the story, they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension. The theological implications of 'Doom' would be kinda interesting to dig into. If someone were to prove that Hell existed, it raises questions about whether Heaven does. The afterlife and dead souls suddenly being accessible would have a pretty intense effect on society.

There's potential there, but they'll have to invest in guts to make it happen.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension.
Doom was never meant to be about complex storylines. Its not HL, its Doom, its simple - speak with your gun and all that.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
nightfish said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension.
Doom was never meant to be about complex storylines. Its not HL, its Doom, its simple - speak with your gun and all that.
Yeah, but it looked like in 3 they were going for something with a bit more mood and tension. I dunno...it seems like there are already a ton of purist FPS games (no plot, just multi-player). They might as well opt for something new.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
nightfish said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I'm not opposed to Doom 4 having a story. A good story can't make a bad game... but the gameplay can.

Whether they plan on continuing from where they let off in Doom 3 or by starting something new doesn't matter to me. What does matter is capturing the essence of the original games. Fast paced and bloody action, and fighting hordes of demons. But of course, a run and gun game may not be good enough for people nowadays.... everyone wants their dumb vehicles and all that Halo garbage.

I think what was really disappointing about Doom 3 (though I still like it) was the slow pace, and the lack of demon fighting.... NOT the dark atmosphere. We also need a longer... crazier hell sequence.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Worr Monger said:
I think what was really disappointing about Doom 3 (though I still like it) was the slow pace, and the lack of demon fighting.... NOT the dark atmosphere.
problem here was that my PC struggled with some sequences in Doom 3 - more enemies would have meant a lot higher minimum requirements.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
nightfish said:
problem here was that my PC struggled with some sequences in Doom 3 - more enemies would have meant a lot higher minimum requirements.
Can't disagree with that... I was happy with my Medium settings at the time. It is definitely a challenge getting a large amount of enemies on screen as in the originals.

But again... it doesn't need to be exactly like the originals. I'm sure there is some way to increase the intensity of the action to create a more traditional Doom feel. A lot of people didn't care much for Quake 4, but I felt that it was much more intense than Doom 3... So I think there are ways around it.