Crysis Patch Cancelled, Sequel Announced

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Crysis Patch Cancelled, Sequel Announced

Developer Crytek has announced that it is cutting short support for a Crysis patch - but the sequel, Crysis Warhead is due out this fall.

"As you know, it was a very hard decision for us to cancel Patch 1.3, but in the end it was important we shift our focus to some of the new and exciting things we are doing with Crysis Warhead," the development team explained on its community forums.

Crysis Warhead will continue the original game's storyline and follow the battles of an elite team exploring disturbances on a remote island. Also featuring the engine that powered the original game, it will be PC-exclusive.

Crytek recently joined a stream of developers who bemoaned the lack of sales on the PC platform and singled out piracy in particular as a key reason for poor sales.

Crytek President Cevat Yerli had also said that his studio's future games would likely no longer be PC exclusives, but he added that Crysis could not be redeveloped for consoles.

Source: Shacknews.com [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53002]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh look another company blames piracy for poor sales.
Does it not occur to Crytek that maybe 1/3rd of the worlds pc's can actually play that game?

To make Crysis run well still takes serious equipment and most people won't (or can't) drop a grand on a pc just to play the latest game.

You only need to look at Valve's hardware surveys to see most people aren't even close to the 2.8ghz/256meg graphics minimum requirements.

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
Well, I'll quote Yahtzee on this one:

"Crysis is apparently designed for some kind of hypathetical super computer, from SPACE!!!"

Yes, I know, it's sad to go throught the time and quote Yahtzee word for word, but its fits so well.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Does it not occur to Crytek that maybe 1/3rd of the worlds pc's can actually play that game?
And if you consider every PC, like servers, workstations laptops ect your probably talking something like less than 1%. As for the figure of home pcs, its probably all the pcs sold in the last two years minus a big chunk without a decent 3d card, which cant be all that much of the worlds home comptuers

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
Piracy my ass. Who the hell would pirate a game they can't even run. Anyone who has a super computer that can run this game is probably rich enough to buy the game anyway. Poor sales!? They should be glad that they even sold a thousand copies. And obviously it's PC exclusive, there's no way any console can run that game, let alone a sequel.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Just a thought, but is it possible that Crysis will turn up on the NEXT generation of consoles?

Much like Half Life appeared on the PS2 and HL2 arrived in the Orange Box (Iknow HL2 was on the Xbox, but I can't remember anyone I know actually buying it).

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
but he added that Crysis could not be redeveloped for consoles.
Uh huh yeah sure.

I think the bigger problem here is Crysis came out in November and they already have a sequel coming out a year later.

I thought those were called expansion packs?

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
Expansion packs require the first game to play, sequels don't need the first game to play. Just like Warcraft 2 and 3, and Frozen Throne needing Reign of Chaos to play.
fix-the-spade said:
Just a thought, but is it possible that Crysis will turn up on the NEXT generation of consoles?

Much like Half Life appeared on the PS2 and HL2 arrived in the Orange Box (Iknow HL2 was on the Xbox, but I can't remember anyone I know actually buying it).
It's possible, but I think that's a long way to go since I doubt any next gen consoles are coming out anytime soon. By the time the next gen console does come out people will actually have a godly computer that can run crysis.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Where the hell is Crytech going as a company? They need a PR firm to help them get their ducks in a row.

tendo82

Nov 30, 2007
Where the hell is Crytech going as a company? They need a PR firm to help them get their ducks in a row.

tendo82

Nov 30, 2007

bamforth

Mar 10, 2008
Found this on Crymod.com (Cryteks fanbase)

"Redwood City, Calif. ? June 5, 2008 ? Maximum freedom, maximum explosions and maximum Psycho! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and award-winning independent studio Crytek today announced Crysis Warhead® ? the parallel story to Crysis, one of the most critically-acclaimed first person shooters and PC games of 2007. Shipping exclusively for the PC this fall, Crysis Warhead is the first title to be developed at Crytek´s Budapest studio, and is built on a new, enhanced and optimized version of Crytek?s CryENGINE® 2 technology.

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. ?That being said, one of the key principles of our studio is to always raise the bar. With Warhead, we are focusing on refining our storytelling and game performance, while also delivering more of the visually stunning graphics and immersive, free-roaming gameplay everyone loved in Crysis.?

?The best result of a partnership that we can ask for in the EA Partners program is when a world class independent studio like Crytek chooses to continue to work with us,? said David DeMartini, Vice President and Global General Manager, EA Partners. ?Crysis was an amazing game and is going to be a blockbuster franchise. We could not be more excited to be working with Crytek to launch another hit with Crysis Warhead this year.?

In Crysis Warhead, players will don the Nanosuit of Sergeant Sykes, also known as ?Psycho?, one of the most memorable characters from Crysis. More brash and aggressive than his Delta Force squadmate Nomad, players will experience Psycho?s parallel story during the events of the original game, finding that life on the other side of the island is even more intense and explosive than they ever could have imagined. Luckily, Psycho?s Nanosuit is just as capable and he?s equipped with an even bigger arsenal of fully customizable weapons and new vehicles, giving players access to the tools they need to dominate any situation. Aside from this new, exciting single player campaign, Crysis Warhead will also feature new multiplayer content. Stay tuned for more details this summer.

Crysis Warhead has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI. For more information about the game, please visit www.crysisthegame.com."

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
<quote=j-e-f-f-e-r-s>This is meant as a light-hearted poke at the German language. Please don't call me a Daily Mail reading bigot. I'm a nice person really.

Sure you are... Nah, I joke.

Anyways, you'd think that maybe Crytech got the message, what with Half Life 2 sales record kicking Crysis'. I mean, most people who buy Crysis are just graphics whores, using the game to boast to their friends about how they can run the bloody game.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
The CryEngine is a very sad waste of technology, It's not even being used for "FarCry2," (replaced by the Dunia Engine) as such, the presumably "most technologically advanced" game engine is being used exclusively for a single shooter which doesn't push many (any) envelopes in game design.

so what about their NEXT game?! Crysis 2. Super. And even better, it takes place on the same GODDAMN ISLAND. jesus fucking cryst Crytek, how boring can you get?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
a empity game which big premise is just the graphics, man crytek should realise that realistic super graphics isnt enough in these days for convince the people to buy a game

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
eggdog14 said:
so what about their NEXT game?! Crysis 2. Super. And even better, it takes place on the same GODDAMN ISLAND. jesus fucking cryst Crytek, how boring can you get?
Another case of FEAR syndrome. "We need a sequel/expansion, Pick twenty of the environments and copy paste them, re-use the enemies and re-skin that one!
We need a cover, just use the old one with a different coloured filter"

BlackLiger

Jun 3, 2008
Meh, if they retain the gameplay, but fix the fucking lag issues in multiplayer, I'll be happy with it.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
The CryEngine can do so much more than just these graphically impressive average shooters, If they made a serious long winded game, like an RPG (i like Rpg's so sue me) i think i would make the most of the engine.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
tendo82 said:
Hah! Get in there then, Ten!

Anyway, it seems that - unlike the majority of this thread - I seem to be the minority in the sense that I've actually had the distinct pleasure to play this game on a PC which is capable of running it (not my own, though). Crysis, in a word, is superb. People say that its not all about the graphics? Well that's true, but they certainly do (alongside the grotesquely good physics) make for a far more enjoyable and fun game, rather than depthy.