15 year old kills 9 year old neighbor, charged as adult

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
A 15 year old girl spent a week preparing to murder her 9 year old neighbor, just to see what it "felt like." She is to be tried as an adult for murder.

Full article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34016501/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

So, what are your thoughts on this, Escapists? Is it right or wrong to try her as an adult?

Personally, I think it's right. At age 15, you know what happens when you kill someone, and she even planned it all out. The fact that she killed just to experience it also doesn't sit very well with me.
A history of depression or not, what she did wasn't right. At all. I just think she really should face the consequences of her actions as an adult. Don't let her off the hook just because she's a "child." Her crime isn't the crime of a child. If that was the case, she would've stolen a bag of cookies or something, not killed a little girl.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
It's wrong. She doesn't have the rights of an adult, she is not a full citizen and it is therefore wrong to treat her the same way. That's the whole point of the 'minor' system, they are too young to be adults, and are protected from the adult world.

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
Chancie said:
A 15 year old girl spent a week preparing to murder her 9 year old neighbor, just to see what it "felt like." She is to be tried as an adult for murder.

Full article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34016501/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

So, what are your thoughts on this, Escapists? Is it right or wrong to try her as an adult?

Personally, I think it's right. At age 15, you know what happens when you kill someone, and she even planned it all out. The fact that she killed just to experience it also doesn't sit very well with me.
A history of depression or not, what she did wasn't right. At all. I just think she really should face the consequences of her actions as an adult. Don't let her off the hook just because she's a "child." Her crime isn't the crime of a child. If that was the case, she would've stolen a bag of cookies or something, not killed a little girl.
Hooray! The american justice system fails again!

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
She planned the murder. Adult certainly.
Murder should not be trialled as a juvenile offense, ever. It shows heavy signs of instability at a young age and the person should be locked away for the safety of others.
Manslaughter can be trialled as a child though, as it is unintentional or indirect. (You cannot unintentionally murder someone on purpose can you?)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, if she killed someone to feel "what's it like", and it was planned, not impulsive - then yeah, sure. If you ask me, this is too serious to just let her off scott-free. And "teenage depression" is not an excuse. If you are depressed, you want to kill yourself - not others.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I think that's about right.
From the article said:
"Ultimately, she stated she wanted to know what it felt like," Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified Wednesday during a court hearing over the slaying.
Even ignoring the fact that she planned it, that sentence is enough to convince me she needs to be tried as an adult.
I just can't imagine there is any kind of program that would "rehabilitate" her.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Smack-Ferret said:
No fucking teens have depression. Don't even start.
...Are you joking? Please don't dismiss depression as a joke just because it's the cool way to get attention at the moment........

Of course teenagers can be depressed, chemical imbalances do not disciminate. Those who have seen it first hand can no doubt attest to it. Seeing a broken person is a pretty fucking horrible thing to witness. It's beyond insensitive to mock the suffering of all the families who have suffered or been torn apart due to depression.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Good, hope she get's life and the inmates tear her apart on the first day.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Yep, charged as an adult for premeditated murder sounds right to me. Sure she isn't technically an adult, but cases like these need to be judged independently and logically.

Jul 19, 2009
What's up with all the hating on the justice system in this thread? Everybody was complaining about the lack of justice in the '"kid rapes two kids, is let off with warning" or something like that' thread.

OT: Alright justice system! Book her!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
grimsprice said:
Gas chamber. No exception.
Tempting but I'd rather let the inmates rip her apart, child killers are loathed big time in there.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Whether or not you think it's right for her to be tried as an adult, it's clear she's a danger to anyone and needs to be kept in a secure ward whilst she undergoes rehabilitation...

Whether or not it works or not is another matter, but it is obvious she is not a normal harmless child... She needs serious help. 4 years in a childrens prison won't do shit...

Common sense must prevail here...

Edit:

Dys said:
Of course teenagers can be depressed, chemical imbalances do not disciminate. Those who have seen it first hand can no doubt attest to it. Seeing a broken person is a pretty fucking horrible thing to witness. It's beyond insensitive to mock the suffering of all the families who have suffered or been torn apart due to depression.
Just thought I'd add even dogs have been known to suffer with depression...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
She had better be charged as an adult. Planning the murder of your neighbour a week in advance just to see what it feels like? That's pretty goddamn adult if you ask me.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Neonbob said:
I think that's about right.
From the article said:
"Ultimately, she stated she wanted to know what it felt like," Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified Wednesday during a court hearing over the slaying.
Even ignoring the fact that she planned it, that sentence is enough to convince me she needs to be tried as an adult.
I just can't imagine there is any kind of program that would "rehabilitate" her.
You're right, that sounds like a pretty childish reason kill somebody, ri- Wait.

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
it was premeditated. she knew what she was doing

i think she deserves to be tried as an adult