15-year old Stabs Bully 11 Times at Bus Stop, Gets Away With It

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
For those who don't know, the guy's name is Jorge Saavedra. Apparently he was being bullied by a dude named Dylan Nuno. He got so fed up with the constant bullying he received from Dylan and his gang that he ended up stabbing Dylan in the chest eleven times at a buss stop. The judge dismissed all charges brought up against him, saying it was all in self defense.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jan/03/collier-judge-upholds-stand-your-ground-defense-ca/?partn

NAPLES - A 15-year-old who fatally stabbed his school mate will no longer face criminal prosecution.

A judges ruling, made public Tuesday, granted a motion to dismiss the second-degree murder charge against Jorge Saavedra in the death of 16-year-old Dylan Nuno on the grounds that he acted in self-defense under Florida?s ?Stand Your Ground? law. The State Attorney?s Office has indicated that it will not appeal the ruling.

Nunos family and friends criticized Collier County Circuit Judge Lauren Brodie?s decision, calling it ?unbelievable? and ?heartbreaking.

Saavedra, who was 14 at the time of the stabbing, was charged as a juvenile. If found guilty, the former Palmetto Ridge High student would have been released by the age of 21.

Brodies ruling concluded that Saavadra, who said he was bullied and tried avoid a fight with Nuno, did not act unlawfully. She added that Saavadra had more than enough reason to believe he was in danger of death or great bodily harm.

Brodie based her decision this week on the findings from a two-day December hearing, during which students who witnessed the events Jan. 24, 2011, testified that several teens announced the fight on the bus, and Saavedra got off several stops early in Golden Gate Estates. Saavedra showed a pocket knife to two teens on the bus that afternoon.

In a nine-page document released Tuesday by the State Attorney?s Office, Brodie stated that by getting off the bus several stops before the location where the fight was to happen, Saavedra ?demonstrated that, with or without a knife, (he) had no desire to fight with Dylan Nuno.?

Accompanied by several students, Dylan Nuno, a junior, followed Saavedra, a freshman, off the bus. He then punched him in the back of the head, according to court documents and testimony.

Saavedra attempted to get away once, witnesses said. He then stabbed Dylan Nuno 12 times in the chest and abdomen. Two of the blows caused fatal wounds, including one that nicked his heart.

In her decision, signed Dec. 30, 2011, the judge said Saavedra had ?no duty to retreat? and was ?legally entitled to meet force with force, even deadly force.?

Prosecutors will not be appealing the case, a move that upset Dylan Nunos family and friends.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I have mixed emotions on this story.

Firstly i believe that the kid had a right to defend himself, every kid does, but was stabbing him 11 times necessary. I'm sure once would have been enough.

Second, why a knife, couldn't he have just battered him for a bit with a bat or something? It doesn't make sense why he would carry a knife as stab as many times as he did.

Should he get away with it? No, but he shouldn't be prosecuted as a murderer, maybe given a less harsh punishment. Seems only fair.

EDIT: whoa! My inbox got flooded with messages about the bat thing. It's just an example as to say "Why was he carrying a knife to begin with?"

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Firstly i believe that the kid had a right to defend himself, every kid does, but was stabbing him 11 times necessary. I'm sure once would have been enough.

Second, why a knife, couldn't he have just battered him for a bit with a bat or something? It doesn't make sense why he would carry a knife as stab as many times as he did.

Should he get away with it? No, but he shouldn't be prosecuted as a murderer, maybe given a less harsh punishment. Seems only fair.
Knives are usually easier to get a hold of and conceal. When people start harassing you it's hard to control you rage which is why I believe the guy ended up stabbing the bully 11 times. I agree with the judge's ruling by the way, he might have had a choice but honestly, prosecuting a teenager that is clearly mentally disturbed from years of being bullied on the counts of manslaughter is not the right thing to do.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I don't know. Stabbing someone to death is pretty damn extreme. He should at least have gotten a year or so.

Let me just say that I find the term "bullying" extremely disingenuous. It's basically a way of trivialising assault that happens amongst young people. Let's call it what is, shall we? Calling someone "Fatty McMuffintop" is bullying. Hitting them is battery.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Drop_D-Bombshell said:

Knives are usually easier to get a hold of and conceal. When people start harassing you it's hard to control you rage which is why I believe the guy ended up stabbing the bully 11 times. I agree with the judge's ruling by the way, he might have had a choice but honestly, prosecuting a teenager that is clearly mentally disturbed from years of being bullied on the counts of manslaughter is not the right thing to do.
Ok, yeah, pushed to the limit is totally understandable, similar to that Australian kid, but rage making him stab 11 times is still pushing it a little. I agree with you that he shouldn't be prosecuted, but the whole stabbing thing was not needed, once or twice, yeah ok, but not that many stabs, even while enraged.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
Ok, yeah, pushed to the limit is totally understandable, similar to that Australian kid, but rage making him stab 11 times is still pushing it a little. I agree with you that he shouldn't be prosecuted, but the whole stabbing thing was not needed, once or twice, yeah ok, but not that many stabs, even while enraged.
That's what fights are like, at least during high school. You jump on the other guy and throw as many punches as you can.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
gigastrike said:
How much you wanna bet that the judge was bullied as a kid?
Why does that matter?

The judge has to follow the rule of law, so if you think (or the prosecution thinks) that the judge acted improperly, then the verdict should be appealed. The fact that it isn't is quite telling.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
One Hit Noob said:
HA! America! Kiddies are now stabbing each other before school. With no adult fucking supervision. What the fuck?
I agree, all stabbings should be done under adult supervision.

Someone could get hurt.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
And here I thought this was happening in Italy (in which case my reaction would be 'Meh, southern Italy...'). Seriously, Americans, can't you think of your own names for cities!?

And no, stabbing someone 11 times is not self defense. Unless he was still being a direct threat after being stabbed 10 times. Which I find highly unlikely...

Jan 27, 2011
Hmmmm....

While on one hand I don't think the bullied kid should be charged with murder, I also don't think he should get off scott free.

He should be made to go to therapy sessions and evaluations and stuff for a few years, at the very least, to ensure he does not snap again.

All in all, though, I think this case is tragic. Kid gets bullied, kid has enough of the bullying, makes sure he is able to defend himself. Kid tries to avoid the bully, bully goes after him, ans starts the fight, kid defends himself, and goes too far. Yeah, that sucks. It really does. The bullied kid didn't deserve to be assaulted, but the bully didn't deserve to die either.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I'm glad he fought back against the bully. But stabbing him 11 times? That's just a little too much...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
TestECull said:
ITT: People siding with assholes.
How about siding with neither? Bullying is bad, I've been bullied a lot when I was a kid, to the point where I was afraid of going out when there were people around; but I wasn't going to fucking kill anyone for it.

But sure, go ahead with that "If you're not with me, then you are my ENEMY!" thing that seems so common online. Just because I don't side with one guy that doesn't mean I sided with the other.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I think he went a little overboard. Most likely snapped halfway through. But my inner child who was a victim of many bullies is cheering right now.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
'Stand Your Ground/No Duty To Retreat' legislature is deeply deeply flawed at it's core.

if your options are 'running away' or 'stab the guy a dozen times'..the second choice is ALWAYS wrong.

this is a case of manslaughter, not self defense.