#150: Halp

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
"Ser gunny"? Is there any particular reason why the i changed to an e? An accent thing?

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
I've seen ser written somewhere else in the same context i.e ser suchandsuch but I can't remember where so I don't think its meant to be an accent thing, though this'd have to be confirmed from the writers to know for certain

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Ah no, looks like the imps got Fire Extinguisher Guy. I was rooting for him.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
johnnyLupine said:
I've seen ser written somewhere else in the same context i.e ser suchandsuch but I can't remember where so I don't think its meant to be an accent thing, though this'd have to be confirmed from the writers to know for certain
Dragon Age? (Think I've seen it (and a few other homonymous variants) several places actually... In Morrowind you have the less formal "sera" and "muthsera", for, not nobles perhaps, but (more or less..) deferrently to misters and misses, respectively -- It seems to be a dunmer thing... )

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ser, like in A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones? Guess you needed something for the commenters to comment on. Job done!

Anyway, where's Sephiroth gone off to? :(

Jeivar

Jan 26, 2015
And she's back to being adorable. I like. :)

Gotta love the "inverse Elsa" comment.

Mar 30, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
"Ser gunny"? Is there any particular reason why the i changed to an e? An accent thing?
It's the variant spelling of Sir used in George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. Why he spells it that way I have no idea.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Am I the only one who the moment I saw "Inverse" immediately thought of "Lina Inverse", and thus it took me longer to get the "Inverse Elsa" joke?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
Am I the only one who the moment I saw "Inverse" immediately thought of "Lina Inverse", and thus it took me longer to get the "Inverse Elsa" joke?
Erin has words for you...

OT: I am really, really enjoying this arc. Keep it coming fellas.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
Chessrook44 said:

I need to save the link to that comic. It really comes in handy in some parts of the internet.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Chessrook44 said:
I had that moment but instantly decided to Google, Inverse Elsa.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
Not until you said that! How long has Erin holed herself up in her apartment? I thought she wouldn't know about Frozen, then I thought that's silly. She's gotta have the Internet there, so she wouldn't NOT know about Frozen.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
johnnyLupine said:
It's been known to be used in quite a few Latin texts from the medieval period. One example here [https://books.google.com/books?id=5GLhEQiogQ8C&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq=honorific+ser&source=bl&ots=jgI61TcVj0&sig=gKY_y7pzSkgiHyM5CxeUkSwnGZc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ExkdUYbQL6aW0QHEkoDgBQ#v=onepage&q=honorific%20ser&f=false]; another here [https://books.google.ch/books?id=7tbTBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA230&lpg=PA230&dq="ser+iohannes"&source=bl&ots=h-xw2_BJaW&sig=tXRG4l-SLK9u4JgSw-ap058JckE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtwKaa64nLAhVCpw4KHQYRBWMQ6AEISDAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false].

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Clankenbeard said:
Chessrook44 said:

I need to save the link to that comic. It really comes in handy in some parts of the internet.
I think I have used it on at least 4 occasions. It is always meant as an homage to a particularly acerbic comic strip when I use it. But it can come off as being a little dickish. So, I use it sparingly and only where the exact words "Am I the only one..." are used.

Nonetheless, if you prefer to just drop the image instead of the link, here is when Themis-Media parks it:
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/74/74779.jpg

Mar 29, 2016
johnnyLupine said:
The title of sir/ser predates formalized spelling, so it was written as it's said, so in medieval fantasies it's right either way