Gay Group Gives Great Scores to Gamestop, EA, Microsoft,

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Gay Group Gives Great Scores to Gamestop, EA, Microsoft,

GameStop, EA, and Microsoft have been acknowledged by The Human Rights Campaign Foundation as very supportive of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees and customers.

The Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the nation's largest civil rights organization for non-heterosexuals, and as part of its scientific research into how its members are treated throughout society, the HRCF releases the annual Corporate Equality Index. The CEI rates 583 businesses on a scale from 0 to 100 percent based on each company's relations with employees, consumers and investors of various sexual orientations. Information for the CEI rankings are taken from voluntary surveys designed by the HRC and submitted by the businesses.

"The 2009 Corporate Equality Index shows that corporate America understands that a diverse workforce is critical to remaining successful and competitive," said HRC Foundation President Joe Solmonese. "In the absence of a federal law that prohibits workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, it is up to employers to take the lead and implement policies that ensure all their employees are protected."

Three gaming companies received perfect scores this year: Publisher Electronic Arts and retailer GameStop, which both grabbed their second consecutive 100 percents, and hardware maker Microsoft, which earned an impressive fourth consecutive year with a spotless record.

"Improving and establishing an equal workplace for a transgender person is essential for any company that wishes to attract, recruit and retain talented employees," said Meghan Stabler, HRC Business Council member and transgender activist. "Often we are singled out for discrimination and, very often, job termination, solely because of our gender change or gender expression regardless of work history. The significant increase in companies achieving 100 percent on the CEI shows that the business-employee climate is improving, but we know there is still significant progress to be made."

Related technology companies that were also approved of by the HRC include Apple, Best Buy, Dell, eBay, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Target and Yahoo.

Source: Human Rights Campaign [http://www.hrc.org/11147.htm] via GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/15/ea-microsoft-gamestop-earn-perfect-scores-gay-rights-group]

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Microsoft...Pro-Gay?

Have you BEEN on X-Box Live? :p

Still, it's good to see that more and more people are accepting of other lifestyles.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Aries_Split post=7.71739.735336 said:
Microsoft...Pro-Gay?

Have you BEEN on X-Box Live? :p

Still, it's good to see that more and more people are accepting of other lifestyles.
Ok, that actually made me chuckle. :)

Feb 13, 2008
Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the nation's largest civil rights organization for non-heterosexuals
Whoa whoa whoa...so heterosexuals aren't human now?? Why do I miss all these meetings?

And unless you're deliberately homophobic, it's sort of tough for a HARDWARE MANUFACTURER to discriminate.

But then if
Of the 255 Fortune 500 companies rated in the CEI, 120 received perfect scores. The average rating of Fortune 500 companies was 83 percent.
that actually makes 'non-heterosexuals' more welcome than...well..any other minority you could care to mention...including WASPs.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.71739.735370 said:
Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the nation's largest civil rights organization for non-heterosexuals
Whoa whoa whoa...so heterosexuals aren't human now?? Why do I miss all these meetings?
No, but you usually don't have your rights violated for being a White, Heterosexual male.

Feb 13, 2008
Aries_Split post=7.71739.735374 said:
No, but you usually don't have your rights violated for being a White, Heterosexual male.
No, there's a whole host of other reasons I can have my rights violated. None of them involving my gender, skintone or sexuality.

It just stinks of the "World Series", that involves two countries...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.71739.735378 said:
Aries_Split post=7.71739.735374 said:
No, there's a whole host of other reasons I can have my rights violated. None of them involving my gender, skintone or sexuality.

It just stinks of the "World Series", that involves two countries...
Keyword: Usually

I don't think that Heterophobes are very active no?

Feb 13, 2008
Aries_Split post=7.71739.735380 said:
Keyword: Usually

I don't think that Heterophobes are very active no?
Seem to be quite a few round here. Heteromorphers are more common.

Keywords: Human Rights

I don't think the Yiffers or the BDSM's have a group dedicated to their 'human rights'.

LOOY

Apr 14, 2008
Sexuality should have nothing to do with it, it should be to whoever is best for the Job. Even if coincidentally that means you end up with 100% White Male Heterosexual's you should never employ a gay person just to seem more "diverse".

Feb 13, 2008
LOOY post=18.71739.735428 said:
Sexuality should have nothing to do with it, it should be to whoever is best for the Job. Even if coincidentally that means you end up with 100% White Male Heterosexual's you should never employ a gay person just to seem more "diverse".
Or any other grouping. Employees should be the best there is, otherwise you get the 'asshole' problem creeping in.

BaronAsh

Feb 6, 2008
LOOY post=7.71739.735428 said:
Well put Good Sir.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.71739.735466 said:
Or any other grouping. Employees should be the best there is, otherwise you get the 'asshole' problem creeping in.
Considering the topic, there's a horrible joke in there somewhere. But I'll not be the one to make it.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
You should indeed hire the best people you can find. This issue is that there are a lot of companies out there that DO discriminate against people based upon their sexuality. The list above was compiled by a group that tries to give kudos to corps the obviously don't, not to encourage them NOT to hire the best qualified people in an attempt to be diverse. No way that Microsoft is going to pass on a top flight engineer simply because there is a less qualified one based on their sexuality for the sake of a list like this.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Sure...but we've got a couple of centuries of being the only people anyone hired so a little bit of a dip can be expected while we get things evened out.

steveo_justice

Apr 4, 2008
qbert4ever post=7.71739.735482 said:
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.71739.735466 said:
Considering the topic, there's a horrible joke in there somewhere. But I'll not be the one to make it.
Horrible jokes are the best ones...
Looy has no idea what he's talking about... EVERYONE knows that TRUE diversety is based off the color of your skin, NOT the content of you character, silly goose! Otherwise, why would the ACLU value it more than actual qualifications? Hehehe...

Seriously, though, a forum with gamers who have a brain and aren't breast-fed information by NBC and politically correct shit-hole polititians, and then n go off and make distasteful jokes about assholes? Finally I'm in good company on the internet.

Maybe this would even be a good spot to start my "Boycott the Toyota Prius" thread.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
That's not the topic at hand, though. Sure, if someone's best for the job, you hire them. The issue would be discriminating against somebody who *would* be best for the job, just because they're LBGT.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
steveo_justice post=7.71739.735506 said:
Seriously, though, a forum with gamers who have a brain and aren't breast-fed information by NBC and politically correct shit-hole polititians, and then n go off and make distasteful jokes about assholes? Finally I'm in good company on the internet.

Maybe this would even be a good spot to start my "Boycott the Toyota Prius" thread.
Hopefully not. I like to think people here study the information and don't blame the messenger.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Nice to see Microsoft and EA are willing to screw you over no matter your sexuality