Play Calls Playstation Home Boring

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Play Calls Playstation Home Boring

The British games magazine has warned readers to "prepare to be bored" by PlayStation Home.

The magazine had summer access to Sony's PlayStation Home virtual world, but found the experience less than thrilling.

Load times, it seems, are an integral part of the Home experience. According to the article, "For every new building that we entered, a 30-50mb additional update was needed, which was a little bit frustrating- why not condense everything into one 500mb download, and cut out the middleman?"

Don't worry visitors; there's no rush to meet with anyone. Home's empty servers turned the bright, open world into "some kind of nightmarish, Sony-generated Dystopia," and a bit "Orwellian."

Not everything Play wrote was negative, though. When attending a Sony-sponsored event with thirty or so other early users, the staff was surprisingly able to engage in a few "non-terrifying conversations with other people."

"Were we hanging around with friends, rather than folk we've never met, the Home experience would surely be richer and more fulfilling," Play concluded. Home is still in its extended beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83373].

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198016]

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
I have been saying since this was first announced, when it finally does come out it will be no good. Looks as if I called it. Though since it is still the beta, me and play may have to eat our words. It's unlikely in my opinion, but possible.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Wow, I never would've thought a frontend that totally wasn't Second Life but totally was could've possibly been boring.

Oh wait.

Seriously how this is going to make the PS3 the "must buy" console is beyond me.

Nov 6, 2007
Again. Home is just the frontend for the PSN community. It's not going to be some killer app. Why is everyone so disappointed/angry with what amounts to a REALLY fancy message board?

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
They tried a community based application when nobody else was on.

Who would've thought they might not have liked it?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
EvilEngineNumberNine post=7.73151.785199 said:
Again. Home is just the frontend for the PSN community. It's not going to be some killer app. Why is everyone so disappointed/angry with what amounts to a REALLY fancy message board?
I think it's an interesting feature, but the whole project has seemed like an odd use of resources, as though a nice 2D feature set like Xbox LIVE was all that was required and they sent a massive dev team to overkill the entire online concept. They went from nothing to overdrive, and it hasn't been polished yet to make it worth the investment, at least that's how it seems.

Nov 6, 2007
[/quote]
Logan Frederick post=7.73151.785212 said:
I think it's an interesting feature, but the whole project has seemed like an odd use of resources, as though a nice 2D feature set like Xbox LIVE was all that was required and they sent a massive dev team to overkill the entire online concept. They went from nothing to overdrive, and it hasn't been polished yet to make it worth the investment, at least that's how it seems.
I'm looking forward to trying it out and don't dislike the idea at all, but everyone's acting like Sony's pinning it's hopes on it.
To the news that Home is an initially mediocre experience Sony haters say "Ha, take that losers." and Sony lover say "Oh God NO, it can't be TRUE!"?
It's interesting software and I will probably enjoy using it, as the community experience on PSN leaves much to be desired, but who ever said it was the second coming of Christ? Why is everyone so polarized over it?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
AceDiamond post=7.73151.785190 said:
Seriously how this is going to make the PS3 the "must buy" console is beyond me.
Same reason people brag about 12 year olds on XBL. You really don't know about it until you either discover it by accident or hear about it on some gaming website.

Just another thing you don't have to do and can freely ignore.

Quel0

Sep 12, 2008
Slap some quests in there for furniture, upgrades, and satchelpants.
Let characters have a bank, lightspeed mail system, and /dance.
Have social events in which a simplistic task must be begrudgingly fought down for more upgrades.

Sony can have the next world of warcraft!