Play Calls Playstation Home Boring

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Pretty much everything NumberNine is saying, you guys are acting like Sony's riding on this to save their asses. Their not.

Home's a cool (free) application, it's not meant to be some in-depth, amazing, breath-taking experience that you will spend for over 50+ hours. It's a nice addon and I'm gald they're atleast doing something other than making avatars that do absolutely nothing (see: Miis).

Home is a good step for consoles (hint, notice the word consoles.), I do admit it does look very similar to Second Life but what else could they do without;
A) Making it into an MMO
B) Make it seem like an actual game when it's not
C) Isolating the social aspect of online
D) Putting to much effort into this and what the player does?

Home is a good step for consoles in online socializing, and I'm glad it's comming around (hopefully). Do I expect great things from it? No, not really, but I do expect a cool addon to a solid online package.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Really funny how people are now not saying this is what Sony was banking on to save their asses wheras I could've sworn a lot of people were talking that way about a week ago. Isolated incident? Mayhaps.

I doubt it was actually the case either.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
TheBadass post=7.73151.785211 said:
They tried a community based application when nobody else was on.
Exactly. They even said that the fun bit was the interaction, so, if the servers had some population, then, by their own admittance, it would be fun.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
runtheplacered post=7.73151.785137 said:
So they tried it on empty servers? How can you really review that?
you'd think Sony PR would have thought of that. My surprise is why anyone else is at all surprised it is boring. It's just a kooky storage medium for your games and profiles that allows for potential social discourse. It's basically Sony's answer to Xbox live. I wouldn't spend more than a few minutes on live if I wasn't planning on downloading something or joining a game.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Sony will definately have to do something about that download problem they mentioned though. Stopping for a download when you enter a room is going to drive people away from it very quickly as they just won't have the patience to endure it. One big download to start with then small, automatic, updates later on is the way it should work. Otherwise the whole thing is going to have its kneecaps blown off right from the start.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
This doesn't look too good for the PS3 since Play (if I'm thinking of the correct magazine) is Sony's biggest cheerleader outside of the Official Playstation Magazine.

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
Don't worry visitors; there's no rush to meet with anyone. Home's empty servers turned the bright, open world into "some kind of nightmarish, Sony-generated Dystopia," and a bit "Orwellian."
Well No wonder- It's a beta, after all. Not like everyone will be there.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
m_jim post=7.73151.787370 said:
This doesn't look too good for the PS3 since Play (if I'm thinking of the correct magazine) is Sony's biggest cheerleader outside of the Official Playstation Magazine.
Does anyone still read game magazines nowadays? I mean the actual printed media? I find it a waste of money, since most gaming news can be obtained through a few websites such as this one.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
He's beta testing, all betas are boring.

OK So I'm dealing in absolutes here but I just never enjoyed any betas.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
PC Gamer is still worthwhile to read since they tend to get a lot of really early access to games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 and what not.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.73151.787933 said:

Did you play the COD4 or Halo 3 beta? They were fun.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
shatnershaman post=7.73151.790220 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.73151.787933 said:

Did you play the COD4 or Halo 3 beta? They were fun.
Didn't like the Halo 3 beta, got sick of the maps and game modes very quickly. Same with CoD4.

I dunno man, no beta has ever hooked me. Even the one for SoaSE, and Crysis.

Actually if Crysis had more than just ONE map in the Beta I may have enjoyed it way more.