New Syndicate In The Works?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Syndicate In The Works?

Maybe wishes really do come true: Word on the street is that Syndicate [http://www.ea.com].

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=199521].

EA originally announced [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=182958] a deal with Starbreeze to bring back a "classic EA franchise" in February, although the franchise in question remained unknown. "We're already deep in development on Project RedLime [the game's internal code name] and the team at EA is giving us the time we need to perfect our vision," Starbreeze CEO Johan Kristiansson said at the time. "We're excited to bring a new perspective and gameplay innovation to this beloved fiction."

Speculation at the time suggested either Syndicate Wars [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock], which was not nearly as well received as the original.

We've contacted EA about the rumor and are anxiously awaiting a response.

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
Yeah... but it's from Electronic Arts, which means we'll only get to install it once for every time we purchase it.

I believe a Bender quote is appropriate here. EA can kiss my shiny, metal... well, yo know the rest.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
SharedProphet post=7.74287.828506 said:
Sounds like an FPS. What's the point if it's completely different from the original anyway?
Agreed. If it's not... well, I'm not exactly sure what genre you'd call Syndicate, but if it's not like the original, then "do not want".

I would like to see the gameplay of Syndicate translated, not just the setting. Let's not have another Shadowrun.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris post=7.74287.828396 said:
We're sorry but you have used up your 3 Dedicated Rumours, Malygris. Please contact EA support for further information.

;)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74287.828873 said:
Malygris post=7.74287.828396 said:
We're sorry but you have used up your 3 Dedicated Rumours, Malygris. Please contact EA support for further information.

;)
It's okay TROAE, Maly can download the deactivation tool to remove one of the rumours from his brain, then he can ask for a new one.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
The twisted cynic in me wants to reject this on principle that digging up old franchises has a mixed track record. However, that part is quickly quashed under the blissful thought of once again commanding a team of cyborgs armed with trenchcoats and miniguns conquering the world.

So my response to this: please please please please please please please please.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I would rather they did not touch System Shock or Syndicate, I dont think they will ever be able to make them good enough to please their fans.

Let them mess about with Theme Park if they need to kill an old franchise off

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Virgil post=7.74287.828744 said:
If it's not... well, I'm not exactly sure what genre you'd call Syndicate, but if it's not like the original, then "do not want".
Most sites refer to it as an RTS, but I always felt it was far superior to standard RTS titles (which I generally dislike) because a four-man squad is so easy to manage and there's none of the nonsense involved with building bases, harvesting resources, building up your forces, etc. You just played the game. It was incredibly refined and well-executed.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
I lost so many hours on Syndicate and S Wars. I really really hope this doesn't get completely buggered up, as the niggling little voice in my head is telling me it probably will.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Virgil post=7.74287.828744 said:
[well, I'm not exactly sure what genre you'd call Syndicate, but if it's not like the original, then "do not want".

I would like to see the gameplay of Syndicate translated, not just the setting. Let's not have another Shadowrun.
i'd have to say it's a rts with third person shooter aspects to it

they were fun games tho, the snes shadowrun game was pretty fun, could have been worse and could have been better

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
"We're excited to bring a new perspective and gameplay innovation to this beloved fiction."
This is Developer speak for "cram it full of stolen game mechanics and cliche's and shove it up your ass while you weep for your forever lost sweet memories"

Never played the game, but from what i've seen any attempt to update it will only result in disaster- it's fan following is simply too... involved, with it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, that quote fills me with horror... how about trying...

"We're excited to leave the damn game alone, just bringing the aesthetics up to modern day expectations, while leaving the core game along, instead of turning it into a dodgy Halo clone, and making it a little more complex and with more levels."

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
So Molyneux's going to have nothing to do with it, plus EA is publishing a Derivative ReMake*? Furthermore the studio they're contracting it out to doesn't seem to have any experience with the genre into which Syndicate fits?

Something tells me this "new" Syndicate's gonna have a lot in common with Escape from Butcher Bay and nothing in common with Syndicate. It'll be "re-imagined" as a Halo clone/Metal Gear Solid type of game, anything but what it should be, and it'll suck all three times it gets installed before it gets Fort Knoxed by the SecuROM.

Count me out.

*that gag was more fun to write than I thought it'd be.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
TsunamiWombat post=7.74287.830275 said:
Never played the game, but from what i've seen any attempt to update it will only result in disaster- it's fan following is simply too... involved, with it.
What have you seen?