No Fallout 3 For India - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Fallout 3 For India - UPDATED

Bad news for gamers in India: It looks like you're not going to get to play Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] after all.

While the PC and GamingIndians [http://www.playstation.com], that the game will not be released due to concerns over "cultural sensitivities."

"Microsoft constantly endeavors to bring the best games to Indian consumers in sync with their international release," the company said in the statement. "However, in light of cultural sensitivities in India, we have made the business decision to not bring Fallout 3 into the country."

As GamingIndians points out, games like Grand Theft Auto [http://www.gopostal.com/] are readily available for purchase in India, so what it is that makes Fallout 3 such a risk is a complete mystery at this point. We've put out feelers to try to get to the bottom of this, and we'll update with new information when it becomes available. In the meantime, this looks like yet another case of a game publisher going way too far in an attempt to avoid tipping any sacred cows.

UPDATE: Yes, I made a funny. But Sameer Desai of GamingIndians has confirmed that the presence of cows in the game, the famous Fallout brahmins, is in fact the problem. "The issue at hand, is that in the game you can slaughter cows. Cows are sacred in the Hindu religion, and if I'm not mistaken, the cows in the game are called Brahmins, which is the name of a Hindu sect/caste," he said. "Considering the games that are readily available in India, this shouldn't be a problem, but since Microsoft was directly distributing the game in India, I think they've chosen to be cautious rather than be faced with a backlash later."

So now we know.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Don't like a game? Think it's offensive to you? Here's a hint for you: Don't buy it! No one's forcing you to play the bloody thing. "Cultural sensitivites" my bloody arse. Microsoft could make a killing with Fallout 3 if both PC and PS3 versions aren't getting released. They're either stupid or...well, stupid. ;/

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
That kind of backlash is just what they should want! It gets more attention and makes more people buy it. What is the problem?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Were the previous two Fallouts available in India?, Didnt Worms have an exploding cow, was that ok?

how about harvest moon? This raises so many additional questions

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Well, you gotta give them credit for not wanting to digitally kill a wireframe mesh and a bunch of textures representing a cow mutated by radiation so badly that it now has two heads but is still apparently sacred. I wonder if it's twice as sacred for having two heads?

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
It's aparent that all the world wide religions are trying to see which one can be the bigger dick about gaming.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Somethingfake post=7.74725.844661 said:
....Why don't they just re-name the cows for the Indian version?
Call 'em 'moo moos'.

Or 'cowlike, but not sacred beasts'

And for the sound FX, you can just reverse the current moo!

oooooooOOOOOOOOOOM!

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
Holy cow!

...and I thought it had to do with Pakistan being a nuclear power and Fallout 3 taking place in a post-nuclear world.

Dec 1, 2007
This is getting crazy.
You know what, this is why we can't have nice things society. This shit right here. Fucking cows.

And you're no better Western culture, with your insane fear of sex.

admanb

Jul 11, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.74725.844705 said:
This is getting crazy.
You know what, this is why we can't have nice things society. This shit right here. Fucking cows.

Ironic, being said in a thread about an American-developed series that practically pioneered off-screen sex. :p

Dec 1, 2007
admanb post=7.74725.844736 said:
Ironic, being said in a thread about an American-developed series that practically pioneered off-screen sex. :p
I can see a man get blown literally to pieces, yet the sight of genitals was simply too vile for such a game.

Irony negated.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Who wouldn't want to kill a two-headed mutant cow? I think they should atleast release the game there with a special warning or something, for the people who are okay with killing cows. In videogames, atleast.

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.74725.844705 said:
So there is a culture that is even more sexual than the Western culture?
Please tell me where, I wanna go there.

Dec 1, 2007
SunoffaBeach post=7.74725.844823 said:
Sex. Insane fear of sex.
Not fruitless sexual titillation.

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.74725.844833 said:
SunoffaBeach post=7.74725.844823 said:
Sex. Insane fear of sex.
Not fruitionless sexual titillation.
you mean because of AIDS?