EA's Peter Moore Takes A Pop At Eurogamer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

The ever excitable Peter Moore has expressed his surprise that the latest entry in the FIFA series has not made Eurogamer's list of the top 50 games of 2008.

In a post on his blog [http://itsinthegame.ea.com/archive/2009/01/01/wtf-where-the-hell-is-fifa-09.aspx], Moore talks us through his thoughts on the positions of various games, eagerly awaiting the appearance of his baby, FIFA 09.

When the game failed to appear, Moore had this to say, "Now I get that the sports genre is the Rodney Dangerfield of games when the awards are handed out. But c'mon, one of the best sports games of recent times not even in the Top 50?

This title will sell in excess of 10 million units when all is done and dusted, but doesn't even rank a mention? Really? Seriously? Is it not cool to include a so-called mass market game? Bangai-O Spirits (no disrespect Treasure) makes it and FIFA 09 doesn't?

Eurogamer - you are and always will be one of my favorite gaming web-sites, but you were waaaay offside on this one."

Given that Moore heads up EA's sports division, it's easy to see why he's upset, although a cynical person might say the company's habit of releasing the same game year after year has backfired on them and good sales don't necessarily mean a good game.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of saying that, nosiree.

Source: via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5122392/peter-moore-has-a-question-wtf-eurogamer]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
nilcypher said:
The company's habit of releasing the same game year after year has backfired on them and good sales don't necessarily mean a good game.
There, you said it!

I love incomplete quotes, I wonder how many people have had there reputations ruined by the judicious use of a highlighter pen.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Hmmm, I have a idea why it's not there... It's a game you've played in 07, 06, 05, 04, 03, 02 You get the idea.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
Eh defending FIFA on this forum would be pointless, but it was a great game and I do think it deserves to be in the top 50.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I enjoy FIFA08. I dunno if I'd call it one of the top 50 (though I might have trouble coming up with 50 games from the past year I thought deserved a "top 50" mention, so FIFA might get in on default).

My favorite part was where he trashed Bangai-O Spirits and then said "no disrespect." I love it when people use "No disrespect" or "No offense" because the next thing they say is always something along the lines of: "No disrespect but I burned you in effigy and then slept with your mother." Or they use it as a band-aid after saying an awful thing, like in Moore's case, sort a "Sorry I just disrespected you, no disrespect."

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Always fun to play, but not really setting any new standards for sports games, or games in general. So I'd probably leave it out of a top whatever list as well. Unless said list was a 'same game with a new cover top 10', then it'd be right up there with all of the EA sports games.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
klc0100 said:
Eh defending FIFA on this forum would be pointless, but it was a great game and I do think it deserves to be in the top 50.
Of course it is a great football game. Just like Fifa 08, Fifa 07 and Fifa 94. Maybe some people get tired of playing the same game with a few new additions again every year. It's funny how he finds it strange that the fresh and innovative Bangai-O Spirits ended up on the list and his game didn't.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
klc0100 said:
Of course it is a great football game. Just like Fifa 08, Fifa 07 and Fifa 94. Maybe some people get tired of playing the same game with a few new additions again every year. It's funny how he finds it strange that the fresh and innovative Bangai-O Spirits ended up on the list and his game didn't.
If you have played FIFA 94 07 and 09 you cant honestly tell me its the same game.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
klc0100 said:
If you have played FIFA 94 07 and 09 you cant honestly tell me its the same game.
It did change somewhat over the years, it got better, sure. I don't think anyone is really saying that the games never changed. But it's been minimal and there have been years that hardly anything changed. It's a game series defined by it's lack of change in each years installment.

Now that said, I did enjoy playing Fifa 97, 2000 and 2005 (I think those were the ones at least). A lot actually. They are defenitely decent games worth every penny I spent on 'em. I just wouldn't buy it each year.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Any improvements are ignored because they keep releasing "the same game" year after year, maybe if they cut back to say... one ever 2 years that might be different.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I'm a die-hard FIFA fan, but this years addition left me incredibly upset. I only play the Manager Mode, or kick-off with a buddy, but there are MAJOR problems in Manager Mode. You can only get two-four seasons in and the game just locks up. No rhyme or reason, it just locks up, so all of your hardwork is lost. The worst party about it is that I'm not the only one, and EA won't even acknowledge it as a legitimate problem.

So, for that reason alone, I would leave FIFA 09 off of the top 50 games of the year!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
nilcypher said:

Although a cynical person might say the company's habit of releasing the same game year after year has backfired on them and good sales don't necessarily mean a good game.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of saying that, nosiree.
I would.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Any improvements are ignored because they keep releasing "the same game" year after year, maybe if they cut back to say... one ever 2 years that might be different.
And the reason that same practice didn't knock Gears 2 off the list is?
Gears 2 wasn't the same as Gears 1 Indigo; Gears 1 was good.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
That's like wondering why Madden never wins game of the year, it's just a different kind of football.